Sony PlayStation 3d monitor f.y.e $99

SubyJay

Limp Gawd
Found this sony monitor at f.y.e for $99. May be b&m only as I can't find a link on their website. They were this price at two fye near me. Guessing they are clearing out stock and not bad for a 3d 24 inch.

If it's the PlayStation monitor read some reviews it's a piece of shit.

It's actually an HDTV, rather than a monitor.

The picture quality is quite good. I believe it uses a VA panel, so it's a little punchier than some IPS panels and generally compares well to an intermediate Sony TV.

The problems are that its very glossy/reflective and has no remote, so tweaking settings or doing anything other than turning it on/off, is annoying.

For $99 it would be a fine extra TV for just about any use.

The picture quality is quite good. I believe it uses a VA panel, so it's a little punchier than some IPS panels and generally compares well to an intermediate Sony TV.

The problems are that its very glossy/reflective and has no remote, so tweaking settings or doing anything other than turning it on/off, is annoying.

No tuner = monitor.

The only major flaw with mine is the random screen blackout. I still have 5 years on the warranty so I could probably take it to Worst Buy for a replacement.

It is not an hdtv by any definition... It is a monitor that was meant to go with the ps3...

i owned one myself and its a pile of dog shit. garbage and not worth 99.00 let alone 20.00.

No tuner = monitor.

The only major flaw with mine is the random screen blackout. I still have 5 years on the warranty so I could probably take it to Worst Buy for a replacement.

well fine, but my point is that this is not a computer monitor. Which around here, calling something a "monitor" is likely to confuse people. This is not a computer monitor. It is an HDTV without a tuner.

well fine, but my point is that this is not a computer monitor. Which around here, calling something a "monitor" is likely to confuse people. This is not a computer monitor. It is an HDTV without a tuner.

Seriously? It exists to be a monitor to the ps3. How can you call it an hdtv when it's lacking the second half of hdtv? It's a fucking monitor. The one confused is you thinking that monitor and computer is mutually exclusive.

No tv tuner, no remote, designed to be used as a gaming monitor and you try to argue that it's an hdtv...

I own 2 of these, they had problems with bad power components of some sort if I remember correctly. Both failed shortly after purchase, Sony sent me boxes and repaired them, haven't had a problem since. Good color, you can program a Dish Network remote to them easily, only drawback for me was the lack of ability to wallmount (no mounting holes).

I like them, just expect it to fail and send it in for repair, after that it will be fine. Mine were repaired about 2 years ago, not a single problem since, 3D works good but generally speaking I don't use the 3D ever.

TL;DR
Pros: Good picture, 2 HDMI inputs and 1 Component, 3D works well

Cons: Expect it to fail and need warranty repair, no VESA mounting holes, no way to disable timeout on monitor from lack of input signal.

can someone give me actual specs on this thing? from what i've seen i'm not understanding how it could possibly be bad for only $100.

can someone give me actual specs on this thing? from what i've seen i'm not understanding how it could possibly be bad for only $100.

From the Amazon listing:
  • Display type: Stereoscopic 3D HDTV
  • Screen size: 24"
  • Resolution: 1080p (1920 x 1080)
  • Colors: 16.7 million
  • Contrast ratio: 5000:1
  • Backlight type: Edge LED, white LED
  • Digital inputs (side): 2 HDMI, 1 component
  • Refresh rate: 240 Hz
  • Sound output: speakers (3W x 2), subwoofer (1 x 5w), 3.5 mm headphone jack (1)
  • Remote support: IR remote control with BD remote control (sold separately)
  • Dimensions: 29.75"(w) x 17.06"(h) x 4.50"(d)
  • 3D glasses
  • Type: Active Shutter 3D
  • Rechargeable battery life: 30 hr.
  • Dimensions: 3" (w) x 7-1/8" (h) x 2" (d)
  • Additional items included: micro-USB cable, 3D glasses pouch and instruction manual

Keep in mind the 240hz in the specs is a flat out lie it's 60hz. It's bad because it has an insane failure rate.

Keep in mind the 240hz in the specs is a flat out lie it's 60hz. It's bad because it has an insane failure rate.

This

The EEPROM is notorious for going out on these and replacing one is a pain in the ass (if you even would want to do that)

Like most HDTVs with this feature, it takes a 60hz input and duplicates frames for the extra output. So in this case, each frame of a 60hz signal is displayed 4 times, to create a pseudo 240hz output. No, it is not at all the same as a true 240hz input. But it does offer benefits over a straight 60hz output, with zero drawbacks.

This is not to be confused with frame interpolation (motion smoothing, which I'm sure this TV also has as an adjustable option), where whole new frames are procedurally generated based on the frame before and after, to approximate what it may have looked like if the source had been recorded natively at a higher framerate.

CNET reviewed it, BTW. Including comments from their HDTV reviewer, on the picture quality merits of this display.

Like most HDTVs with this feature, it takes a 60hz input and duplicates frames for the extra output. So in this case, each frame of a 60hz signal is displayed 4 times, to create a pseudo 240hz output. No, it is not at all the same as a true 240hz input. But it does offer benefits over a straight 60hz output, with zero drawbacks.

This is not to be confused with frame interpolation (motion smoothing, which I'm sure this TV also has as an adjustable option), where whole new frames are procedurally generated based on the frame before and after, to approximate what it may have looked like if the source had been recorded natively at a higher framerate..

i'm not following you. if it's only 60 Hz it can only display 60 frames per second, so playing one frame from a 60 fps source four times would mean it would take four seconds to display one second of 60 fps input which, obviously, doesn't make any sense.

i'm pretty sure it just supports motion interpolation and the 240 Hz is a straight lie.

This is not to be confused with frame interpolation (motion smoothing, which I'm sure this TV also has as an adjustable option), where whole new frames are procedurally generated based on the frame before and after, to approximate what it may have looked like if the source had been recorded natively at a higher framerate.

CNET reviewed it, BTW. Including comments from their HDTV reviewer, on the picture quality merits of this display.

It's not doing that.
This unit does no form of frame smoothing/interpolation.
The reason its rated 240hz is the simulview, which gives 2 separate 3D images to 2 different people at the same time. A highly talked about feature that only 6 games can use...

It's not doing that.
The reason its rated 240hz is the simulview, which gives 2 separate 3D images to 2 different people at the same time. A highly talked about feature that only 6 games can use...

what a load of shit

How's the input lag?

For those of you arguing HDTV vs Monitor. It's a DISPLAY.

How's the input lag?

For those of you arguing HDTV vs Monitor. It's a DISPLAY.

Considering a display is just the screen it cannot be a display. Display is a part of the device not the whole.

No one can identify what this thing is which is why it was such a POS. I am amazed at how many people say it has such great color and image. That was not what I saw. Maybe their was a panel lottery. Anyhow if you buy it, best get an extended warranty. At the end of the day this is a $100 24 inch 60hz monitor. You decide if that is a good deal.

i'm not following you. if it's only 60 Hz it can only display 60 frames per second, so playing one frame from a 60 fps source four times would mean it would take four seconds to display one second of 60 fps input which, obviously, doesn't make any sense.

i'm pretty sure it just supports motion interpolation and the 240 Hz is a straight lie.

I explained the difference between the pseudo higher hertz output and motion interpolation. They are not the same thing.

now, as Leviathon zero mentioned:
It's not doing that.
suggests it's actually 120hz pseudo output. So every frame from a 60hertz signal is displayed 2 times. A 30hz signal, 4 times.

according to CNet, the film mode works properly, so that would be each frame of a 24hz signal, displayed 5 times. Rather than having to do 3:2 pulldown for 24hz material.

That's each frame 2 times/4 times /5 times per-second. It doesn't take longer, it is simply repeating each frame, showing it more times, per second. The screen is refreshing at 120hz, but it still only accepts a 60hz max input, which is then displayed in this way. Even though it is not a true 120hz from top to bottom (no support for 120hz input), there are still benefits. The screen is refreshing faster, so it is easier for your eye/brain to settle on. Less strain. and Since each frame is seen more time per second, the image is perceived to be more "solid", particularly during motion.

Again, not to be confused with frame interpolation (motion smoothing), where all new frames are procedurally generated and inserted between the original frames, which approximates a higher input signal. However, that still follows the rules of the 120hz output. So a 60hz signal would only get 1 new frame between every two. But a 30hz signal would get 2 new frames between every two, etc.

I explained the difference between the pseudo higher hertz output and motion interpolation. They are not the same thing.

your explanation made absolutely no sense and neither does the rest of your post. it's a 60 Hz display, 2 (people) * 2 (images) = 4. 60 * 4 = 240 Hz. that's it. it can't show a frame more times per second than the refresh rate.

This Monitor does look great and performs great. Unfortunately you’ll have better reliability with a launch x360 then this pos .Mine lasted 6 times of use. $99 may seem like a deal but it’s a trap.

though it good to hear fye is still around

It uses glass which makes blacks look grayish and vastly increases the reflectivity. To make things worse, they put glass over a grainy matte coating which is completely illogical.

I had one, it was ok for use with the playstation but ended up selling it to get a bigger display, the sound on it is dog shit awful though, anything with even a little bit of bass would make an awful noise from the housing, even the POS stereo speakers from a really old dell sounded better

I have one of these and the 24" size is too small but otherwise its a phenominal monitor in my opinion. Perhaps its a panel lottery or something but I've had a lot of highly raved monitors over the years and now own a dell 3014 as my primary. The sony doesn't give up anything to any monitor I've owned except size. Mine has inky blacks and brillant colors. I've taken it to lan parties and had people comment on how good of a display it is. Its easily worth $100 if its like mine. I've had mine for at least a couple years and had no problems. I even dropped it face down on the kitchen floor recently and it still works fine. That's twice it dropped on the floor over its life and it still works. Wife knocked it off once with the vacum and I dropped it in the kitchen while moving it. No problems. I guess I've had good luck and a good panel, but I really like the display.

Five things;

You can't mount it on a new stand as there is no mount

You can't reliably use pc (nvidia) based 3d, it works for trine, but all other games I tried it does not work for ?????

The auto off feature happens way too fast with no signal and it doesn't auto on so you have to push the power button or purchase one model of the sony ps3 remote that operates it.

It has a super glossy reflective screen. Best used in a dark room!

It really looked sharp on my nvidia card but looked really bad on my onboard card. It needs to be properly recognized in the control panel and the onboard card I have didn't properly power it leading to washed out colors and gray blacks. Powered with my nvidia card it looks as good or better than any monitor I've owned or used. Again I've owned the dell 3014, the auria 27, a ton of different hps, dells, acers, etc, etc, etc.

Inky blacks, vibrant colors!

This monitor only accepts 60hz input, the simul-view has bleed through of the other image, and the screen seems to have a high persistence at 60hz. I have my Chromecast hooked up to it but I refuse to play any games on it.

I bought one of these when they first came out at full price and returned it the next day. I wouldn't use it fi someone gave me one for free.

I bought one of these when they first came out at full price and returned it the next day. I wouldn't use it fi someone gave me one for free.

Yours was either faulty, or not loaded with the proper drivers. It is a very high quality looking display when setup and functioning properly. What you say is utter nonsense compared to how mine looks. I've used it as a primary display for a while and would gladly do so again if it wasn't 24". I brought it to a LAN party and had a lot of positive comments on it.

As previously mentioned it is as good or better than anything I've ever used or seen in 24" and I've been playing with computers both in playtime and occupation since the late 80's. My current primary monitor is a Dell 3014, and the Sony is very nearly as good in a smaller size.

Comparing a VA panel to an AH-IPS?

Qi6txiH.jpg

Yeah, looks about the same.

Yours was either faulty, or not loaded with the proper drivers. It is a very high quality looking display when setup and functioning properly. What you say is utter nonsense compared to how mine looks. I've used it as a primary display for a while and would gladly do so again if it wasn't 24". I brought it to a LAN party and had a lot of positive comments on it.

As previously mentioned it is as good or better than anything I've ever used or seen in 24" and I've been playing with computers both in playtime and occupation since the late 80's. My current primary monitor is a Dell 3014, and the Sony is very nearly as good in a smaller size.

Thats a whole lot of bullshit considering he said not a thing about the display quality AT ALL. It has a decent display when it decides to work. Not near as good as you make it out to be but a decent display none the less.

Back