Sony CEO On The PS4: Why Go First?

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you were hoping for the PS4 to launch this year, statements like this aren't very encouraging. You would think that, if Sony does actually have plans for a holiday launch, hardware specs would have been hammered out a long time ago.

Mr. Hirai hinted that Sony would wait for the likes of Microsoft and Nintendo to make the first move. “Why go first, when your competitors can look at your specifications and come up with something better?”

How about because it's their only hope of getting converts if they are the first guys on the block with the new generation consoles? It's been so long between generations that whoever drops the first new gen console will get a LOT of sales from those who, traditionally, would have preferred a specific brand.

they just need to do a kickass build that they are taking a huge lost in selling it that will prevent the other to be as good.

The XBOX would still be second fiddle to the Playstation if the PS3 was released first.
MS had a hard time securing the top IP's for the first XBOX. MS change their gameplan and released the 360 first, capturing major IP's and leveling the playing field.

Sony to going wait for MS to make the first move again?
Good luck. As if the Kinect hasn't whooped their ass enough.

they just need to do a kickass build that they are taking a huge lost in selling it that will prevent the other to be as good.

Sony is in no shape to produce a console for a massive loss. They are already losing money as it is. Microsoft on the other hand could afford it, but the way things are going I'm not sure we are going to see that type of thing this go around. It might be a small loss or break even but I doubt it will be significant loss in hope for profits down the line from either of them.

If video game developers had this attitude, we'd get maybe 1 game every three months.

Based on the quote maybe they are just waiting for microsoft to announce their specs first. Then they can decide on larger hard drives or more ram to one up microsoft.

Because going second served them so well last time :rolleyes:

I swear Sony is ran by complete morons.

Nintendo is going to have a 1+ year advantage with developers making REAL games and becoming familiar with their system. This means regardless of the specs of the new Sony / MS consoles:

Developers will be able to squeeze more graphics out of it, earlier.
Be able to work out bugs quicker.
Finally give developers breathing room sooner, from the often 30fps restrictive madness of archaic consoles.

Nintendo is going to have a 1+ year advantage with developers making REAL games and becoming familiar with their system. This means regardless of the specs of the new Sony / MS consoles:

Finally give developers breathing room sooner, from the often 30fps restrictive madness of archaic consoles.

Nintendo's new console is so under powered compared to the next generation PS and Xbox that even with a 1 year advantage they won't be able to compete with launch day titles on those consoles graphically.

Thanks to the awkwardness of the Wii-U tablet it'll probably take at least a few years for developers to really put quality games. Nintendo shot themselves in the foot this time trying to appeal to everyone which isn't possible.

Not to sound like a dick, but I made the same arguments about the Wii, and that didn't turn out like I'd hoped.

I'm curious as to how Sony thinks they have a remote chance with the rampant popularity of the Wii and the Xbox. If they don't come out swinging first they will be completely left in the dust. If it wasn't for the PS3 being such a good Blu-Ray and multimedia device it would have even lower numbers of first time users and ongoing users. Wii is supreme in parlor games and party games. Xbox is supreme in graphic intensive, story line and action games with the added support of Xbox Live. PS is.....well, nothing. This is before any mention fo Xbox Kinect of Wii:U.

Sony - How to not be a company in a competitive market.

Nintendo's new console is so under powered compared to the next generation PS and Xbox that even with a 1 year advantage they won't be able to compete with launch day titles on those consoles graphically.

Thanks to the awkwardness of the Wii-U tablet it'll probably take at least a few years for developers to really put quality games. Nintendo shot themselves in the foot this time trying to appeal to everyone which isn't possible.

The Wii U tablet isn't nearly as awkward as the Wii remote was. It takes traditional controls and adds to them, and doesn't take anything away.

And as long as the Wii U Zelda isn't nearly as annoying as Skyward Sword, I'd be pretty happy. Of course, I plan to check out the next Xbox as well and maintain my gaming laptop, I have no intention on relying on a single console anymore.

I'm curious as to how Sony thinks they have a remote chance with the rampant popularity of the Wii and the Xbox.

Wait, aren't the Xbox and PS3 worldwide sales are almost identical... even though the PS3 came out a year later (so it's actually sold more in less time...). They also still have the biggest selling console ever. So they can't be doing so badly. :p

How about because it's their only hope of getting converts if they are the first guys on the block with the new generation consoles? It's been so long between generations that whoever drops the first new gen console will get a LOT of sales from those who, traditionally, would have preferred a specific brand.

Worked great for Sega!

This is an entirely different situation than the Wii.

The Wii U's hardware disparity compared to the PS4 and the X720 will not be nearly as bad as it was with the Wii / current consoles.

The Wii is a great console. I've had some of my best memories gaming on it with friends. If you prefer the *online friend space* then i can see why the Wii wasn't for everyone.

The Wii Gamepad *tablet is very easy to use, its a traditional controller and touch screen in one.

I read it as "Oh we ain't going to be using fastest hardwares available. Instead, we will match the performance of our competitors."

This is why I don't get consoles and the desire for companies to continue marketing them... the new model comes out, all the fans go ballistic in trying to buy one, either plug it in or throw it up on eBay and make a huge profit, then time ticks by and the hardware is even more outdated after 6 months. Now Sony is going to intentionally shoot themselves in the foot by delaying it so it'll be that much more outdated at launch? They make the decision on what things to use like CPU, GPU, MoBo, RAM, HDD way before manufacturing takes place (duh!)., so it's not like they can switch the hardware specs in the blink of an eye after the competition comes to market first just to ensure they have the most powerful console...the supplier contracts have been in place for a hell of a long time for specific parts, so it's not dynamic.

This day and age, it's entirely possible to build a fairly capable uATX/mITX HTPC on a meager buget, install Steam, fire up Big Picture mode, and have a console-like PC experience that blows anything from Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo straight out of the water. And the nice thing is you get a "console" that's upgradable on the component level!

I know, I know, there are a lot that will argue "exclusive titles". Fine, I can fully understand the need to go buy a new console for that if that is what you are in to. I will admit there are some seemingly pretty cool games that are console only. I will never play them, because services like Steam, GOG, Amazon DD, etc offer more than enough games that interest me right now to last me the rest of my lifetime, let alone any new titles that come out year after year...and I likely won't have to ever worry about compatibility problems for my existing games with future PC builds like console gamers DO have to worry about their current games working with future consoles.

/rant

Sony, congratulations on once again publicly stating how incompetent you are at being a successful corporation.

Kazuo Hirai: "Where I come from, either you play under my rules or you’re not playing. That’s why reassignments happen. Everybody plays nicely together now because they all understand what the rules are.”
Wanna know how I know you're Japanese?

Kazuo Hirai: "Where I come from, either you play under my rules or you’re not playing. That’s why reassignments happen. Everybody plays nicely together now because they all understand what the rules are.”
Wanna know how I know you're Japanese?

His name is a dead givaway for me. :p

If you were referring to his attitude, that's just about every CEO/Exucutive Board Member in the world.

Certainly sounds like good news for Steambox :p

That being said, this is exactly the problem with monolithic consoles.

If you launch a computing device that the public expects to be viable and unchanged for 8 years its a high risk prospect to go first.

They don't have the luxury of doing a refresh a year or two in if their competitors comes out faster/better.

Could you imagine the shitstorm if pre-refresh buyers couldn't play the latest games because they required the refresh model?

So if you launch first, the competitor sees your specs, has the chance to fiure out the cost/benefit analysis and make their product just enough better to drive demand, without it costing too much, and then they own the market for the next 8 years.

What he's saying makes perfect sense, unless they start making consoles modular and upgradeable like PC's. but I don't see that happening any time soon...

If you were referring to his attitude, that's just about every CEO/Exucutive Board Member in the world.

exactly.

In an organization you are either on board or you are not.

Cynics and those who disagree with company direction or policy are a cancer who slow development down and leave you in the ditch.

You need to have a varied team with differing thoughts and opinions to get a solid concept or design developed, but once the decision is made on direction, everyone needs to get on board or get off (or be helped off).

This is why I don't get consoles and the desire for companies to continue marketing them... the new model comes out, all the fans go ballistic in trying to buy one, either plug it in or throw it up on eBay and make a huge profit, then time ticks by and the hardware is even more outdated after 6 months. Now Sony is going to intentionally shoot themselves in the foot by delaying it so it'll be that much more outdated at launch? They make the decision on what things to use like CPU, GPU, MoBo, RAM, HDD way before manufacturing takes place (duh!)., so it's not like they can switch the hardware specs in the blink of an eye after the competition comes to market first just to ensure they have the most powerful console...the supplier contracts have been in place for a hell of a long time for specific parts, so it's not dynamic.

This day and age, it's entirely possible to build a fairly capable uATX/mITX HTPC on a meager buget, install Steam, fire up Big Picture mode, and have a console-like PC experience that blows anything from Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo straight out of the water. And the nice thing is you get a "console" that's upgradable on the component level!

I know, I know, there are a lot that will argue "exclusive titles". Fine, I can fully understand the need to go buy a new console for that if that is what you are in to. I will admit there are some seemingly pretty cool games that are console only. I will never play them, because services like Steam, GOG, Amazon DD, etc offer more than enough games that interest me right now to last me the rest of my lifetime, let alone any new titles that come out year after year...and I likely won't have to ever worry about compatibility problems for my existing games with future PC builds like console gamers DO have to worry about their current games working with future consoles.

/rant

Sony, congratulations on once again publicly stating how incompetent you are at being a successful corporation.

Most people don't have the skills nor the desire that comes with assembling an htpc, installing OS and softwares to play games. Many just want to be able to plug in a device, put in a game disc and play the game.

Let me fix that for you:

"Why go first, when we can look at competitors specifications and come up with something better? [Hopefully]"

There, fixed it for you.

His name is a dead givaway for me. :p

Zarathustra[H];1039540198 said:
exactly.

In an organization you are either on board or you are not.

Cynics and those who disagree with company direction or policy are a cancer who slow development down and leave you in the ditch.

You need to have a varied team with differing thoughts and opinions to get a solid concept or design developed, but once the decision is made on direction, everyone needs to get on board or get off (or be helped off).

I was referring to Japanese politics. However, I would comment that the attitudes you've espoused with regards to corporations are why we're in the delightful situation we are now, rampant unemployment and, loss of standard of living.

If console are going to still be relevant in the future, then console machines are going to need the following.

#1 Follow Steams example. They're not making a machine, but a service that works on multiple machines. That's what Microsoft will probably be doing as well. Sony should make it's own.

#2 Use Android as a OS. Xbox 720 will run Windows 8 RT Lite or whatever, and Steam can be used on Linux as well as Windows. Sony will use?

#3 Don't stick with the $60 price rule per game. Steam certainly doesn't, as their games are based on what the game is really worth. Don't know if Microsoft will continue $60 for every game, but Sony shouldn't.

#4 Upgrade your consoles hardware over time. It's been 7 years since PS3 was released and the Cell chip wasn't impressive then. Thus not only allowing game developers to adjust graphics as they want to, but eventually dropping the price of older machines faster for anyone to get into the console.

This is an entirely different situation than the Wii.

The Wii U's hardware disparity compared to the PS4 and the X720 will not be nearly as bad as it was with the Wii / current consoles.

The Wii is a great console. I've had some of my best memories gaming on it with friends. If you prefer the *online friend space* then i can see why the Wii wasn't for everyone.

The Wii Gamepad *tablet is very easy to use, its a traditional controller and touch screen in one.

I agree, it definitely is a different situation overall.

However, the Wii's library of games has left me bitter and cold to Nintendo. If it wasn't for the 3DS, I would never have purchased the Wii U in the first place. I've never stopped loving Nintendo games, but I've never been as dissapointed as I was with the Wii.

Truth be told, if Microsoft released a dedicated handheld gaming system, I'm not sure if I would have a 3DS at all.

I was referring to Japanese politics. However, I would comment that the attitudes you've espoused with regards to corporations are why we're in the delightful situation we are now, rampant unemployment and, loss of standard of living.

Not necessarily. its just that if you are going to pay people to do something for you and have a working team, you NEED team players.

If someone is going to be an obstacle and slow you down rather than helping out, why would anyone in their right mind keep them on board?

People aren't owed jobs. It's an exchange. I give you my money, you give me your time and expertise. If your expertise is not suited well to what I want to do, I need to hire someone else, or my company goes down the tubes.

Picture taking your car to a garage to have your brakes done, but the guy at the garage instead wants to and starts working on car audio. Well you are happy with your audio, you need some f:ing brakes. You are going to get your car and take it somewhere else (in effect firing the garage) in a hurry.

This is just the way the world works, and will always work. When you are paying for something you get what you want, otherwise you stop paying for it. Human nature.

Wait, aren't the Xbox and PS3 worldwide sales are almost identical... even though the PS3 came out a year later (so it's actually sold more in less time...). They also still have the biggest selling console ever. So they can't be doing so badly. :p

I meant current/recent terms. I thought I saw numbers that suggested that PS3 owners were declining and reports suggesting the PS3 being bought for DVD/BR/HTPC purposes. I most certainly could be wrong here.

LOL, right. Xbox Live is a scam, and neither console can do anything graphically intensive.

Scam or not, it sells giving MS a bunch of capital for reinvestment. Sony has limited reserves and having to sell off buildings to survive. Of course they can't do anything graphically intensive anymore (today's standards), they are 7+ years old. Developers are handcuffed on trying to do more.

Scam or not, it sells giving MS a bunch of capital for reinvestment. Sony has limited reserves and having to sell off buildings to survive. Of course they can't do anything graphically intensive anymore (today's standards), they are 7+ years old. Developers are handcuffed on trying to do more.

Yeah, coming from PC gaming, it absolutely disgusts me that they essentially charge you a fee in order to get online with the device you own.

I have to say, I liked the PS3 model much better...

...that is, until they got hacked, and everything went downhill.

Zarathustra[H];1039540419 said:
Yeah, coming from PC gaming, it absolutely disgusts me that they essentially charge you a fee in order to get online with the device you own.

I have to say, I liked the PS3 model much better...

...that is, until they got hacked, and everything went downhill.

Lol i bet it was microsoft who hacked them so that people can justify buying xbox live because it's "safe"

Lol i bet it was microsoft who hacked them so that people can justify buying xbox live because it's "safe"

I wouldn't be surprised if MS paid the media at least. MS has been hacked more than once where people actually lost money. You hear almost nothing.

PS3 get hacked and it's the end of the world. As far as can tell...no one got hurt. Not that I'm defending Sony totally but it was greatly overhyped.

Mr. Hirai, why go first? Well maybe it's so that everyone doesn't go out and buy the next Xbox and decide to forgo the PS4 because they don't need more than one console? By letting someone go first, you give that guy a chance to mature their hardware and games, that by the time the PS4 comes out, people would say "well the Xbox has more games".

Back