Someone talk me out of getting 64 gigs of memory......

Overkill is great, but moar ram costs battery life. Maybe not noticable with the rest of the hardware in that though.

Made no difference for me on my gaming machine. I'd been running 32 GB for years and some Youtuber talked 64 GB up like it made a difference. Pretty cheap upgrade to try but I consider it a waste. I don't believe I've ever seen over 30 GB of RAM used even taking caching into account. I even have a PrimoCache license that I used to create ridiculous amounts of read/write cache but practically speaking for desktop duty, it wasn't worth it.

RAM was insanely cheap for a while. WEnt with 64 gigs of ddr5. I've never seen usage above 30 gb. But I also do not track the usage, and only noticed when I looked. I still would build with 64 gigs now if I were doing it and ram was cheap.

went from 48GB to 32GB after a cooler change that conflicted with the ram, did create some issues on massive parralel build workd load and because i am a terrible offender with tabs i think the amount of compressed gig in the ram is bigger than before, my next build will be for sure 64GB minimum, will not talk you out of it.

$45 difference, just send it! Live your life and dont worry about closing browser tabs/windows and a minimized game while doing 3d modeling lol.

FWIW I paid $400 to update this Apple from 32 to 64 GB. So do it, it's almost free.

Overkill is great, but moar ram costs battery life. Maybe not noticable with the rest of the hardware in that though.
It's OK, I'm 99% plugged in and I keep my charge level at 50-60%, treating the battery as a built-in UPS. :)

I would personally do it. It's just a few bucks more. I have actually been eyeballing a DDR5 kit that is 64GB.

I have 64GB in both of my main machines. I like you, don't want to upgrade every couple years. I like to see how many years I can squeeze out of a platform with a few GPU upgrades :geek:

Have 64GB DDR4 in my current PC (2x32GB) and am planning to go to 96GB DDR5 (2x48GB) with my upcoming build. If everything goes well, i'll buy another 96GB set and go to 192GB in the future. Figure it won't hurt to have, and it does seem to help on some games, ect.

Have 64GB DDR4 in my current PC (2x32GB) and am planning to go to 96GB DDR5 (2x48GB) with my upcoming build. If everything goes well, i'll buy another 96GB set and go to 192GB in the future. Figure it won't hurt to have, and it does seem to help on some games, ect.
I don't think you should get 192GB of RAM for games. Unless you do other productivity work it may be a complete waste of money.

i'll buy another 96GB set and go to 192GB in the future.
This will drop performance unless your already running it around 4800MHz as it is much much hard to hit higher frequency with 4 stick of DDR5.
You are better of with a leaser amount of RAM around 7200-7600 on Intel and around 6400 for AMD.

Back