Softmoding a GTX to a Quadro

Clockworks

Supreme [H]ardness
I've been researching this crap for the past several days and it seems like there's a ton of conflicting answers. So which is it? Is it possible to softmod an nVidia 480GTX to a Quadro (whatever series)?

EDIT: A better question would be, is it even worth it to softmod the card since it has the CUDA cores built-in?
FX1800 or the 480GTX, which would give me the biggest benefit or are they pretty close?

Last edited:
I would think all it takes is modifying a GTX original bios and make the ID string identify it as a Quadro, that would make the nvidia driver use it accordingly.

Get the right tool for the right job. Right now NVidia has a Quadro that is sub 200 USD and out performs a 580 GTX in the respective applications Quadros are designed for. If you're serious about your work get serious about your hardware.

If you haven't come across this info then you're not researching hard enough. Especially since these threads come up every 1-2 months on this forum alone.

The extra OpenGL logic has been physically fused off on Geforce cards beginning with the 7-series. For peak OpenGL performance in 'pro' apps you are forced to buy an actual Quadro. DirectX has no such limitations on Geforce cards. You may see a minor improvement in OpenGL 'pro' apps by soft-modding (if it's possible), but it will never come close to matching an actual Quadro. At least that is always how it's been in the past.

If you are working in DirectX buy a Geforce. If you are working in OpenGL buy a Quadro.

Last edited:
Back