So much desktop real estate

2 Acer predator 27" 2560x1440p 144hz IPS monitors. I use one for gaming 1 for tasks. Yes it's a bit overkill, but damn does it make it nice.
IMG_20171019_141516.jpg

The ultrawide is great. Essentially two monitors in one, and the LG software is actually useful in subdividing the screen. Really darn bright, crisp, and color accurate over my previous ACER 6+ year old LCD.

I kept getting closer and closer to buying a 34" ultrawide... but I wanted my screen for work and play, so height became important to fit and read documents. I ended up buying a 40" 4K TV and I love it, but curiously I've stopped thinking it's a 16:9 - I think of it as an ultrawide with some extra vertical space for work. I use it 16:9 for work, I force 21:9 resolutions for gaming since I don't care about black bars.

But, as you said - the extra desktop space is definitely wonderful!

The ultrawide is great. Essentially two monitors in one, and the LG software is actually useful in subdividing the screen. Really darn bright, crisp, and color accurate over my previous ACER 6+ year old LCD.

If you really like subdividing large screens get a 43" 4K monitor w/4x inputs so it becomes 4x 1080p displays without bezels.

That's a litlte big for being on my desk/wall without craning my neck. Heh.. Just need enough to keep Visual Studios up and MSSQL.

Nice! What's the model number of that Acer and how do you like it?

I've been looking at moving one of my setups to a single 2560x1600 display from multiple displays just to save space and be able to review documents easier since there's no scrolling at that res.

Nice! What's the model number of that Acer and how do you like it?

I've been looking at moving one of my setups to a single 2560x1600 display from multiple displays just to save space and be able to review documents easier since there's no scrolling at that res.

They are the XB271HU. I love them. Like I said earlier one is main the other is task. I am a photographer so IPS was a must, but I also wanted something great for gaming. I feel I got the best of both worlds with them. Plus having two 1440p monitors gives me so much desktop space.

Really? I use XB271HU and old Dell u2410. I prefer the dell for photoshop / lightroom.

They are the XB271HU. I love them. Like I said earlier one is main the other is task. I am a photographer so IPS was a must, but I also wanted something great for gaming. I feel I got the best of both worlds with them. Plus having two 1440p monitors gives me so much desktop space.
Thank you. B&H Photo seems to stock these, but there's two different versions with a $300 price difference?

Thank you. B&H Photo seems to stock these, but there's two different versions with a $300 price difference?
The difference you see in price is the panel type. Take a close look at it. The IPS should be 4ms response and the TN will be 1ms response. TN panels are cheaper as the color is not as accurate. While they still look good they aren't perfect. If speed is what you want get the TN. Of color and editing is more important get the IPS.

The difference you see in price is the panel type. Take a close look at it. The IPS should be 4ms response and the TN will be 1ms response. TN panels are cheaper as the color is not as accurate. While they still look good they aren't perfect. If speed is what you want get the TN. Of color and editing is more important get the IPS.
Ah, makes sense now. :) Color rendering will be second for me since I'll be just using it to rdp into another system at 16-bit color.

What does it mean to RDP?

Remote Desktop Protocol. MS's official way of logging into a computer from somewhere else and getting a full desktop over the network. (Can only be used to control Windows Pro and Server versions.)

Ah, makes sense now. :) Color rendering will be second for me since I'll be just using it to rdp into another system at 16-bit color.

Especially on bigger monitors the vertical color shift can be more problematic than any actual inaccuracy. TN panels are the kind where the colors go all crazy if you set the screen up normally and then look almost strait down from above.

I've had 22" TN panels where the ~3" head height difference between sitting up strait and leaning all the way back was noticeable.

That said, there're trade offs between all 3 major LCD panel types; and while the most common opinion of overall image quality is IPS > VA > TN; there's nothing wrong with finding the tradeoffs of VA or TN to be the least objectionable.

Remote Desktop Protocol. MS's official way of logging into a computer from somewhere else and getting a full desktop over the network. (Can only be used to control Windows Pro and Server versions.)

Oh nice, I need to look into this at home, I have an upstairs and a downstairs computer and I often wish I could control them from each other.

First things first though, I need to get a damn ethernet cable going upstairs. Gaming on shit-wifi is no fun.

I'm RDPing into xp pro as well as win 7. And on the client side, there's even a client for win98, so almost anything can be used, hence all the os-less thin-clients that are in the corporate IT world now. I actually use 3 different thin clients to remote into a dozen other systems.

Especially on bigger monitors the vertical color shift can be more problematic than any actual inaccuracy. TN panels are the kind where the colors go all crazy if you set the screen up normally and then look almost strait down from above.

I've had 22" TN panels where the ~3" head height difference between sitting up strait and leaning all the way back was noticeable.

That said, there're trade offs between all 3 major LCD panel types; and while the most common opinion of overall image quality is IPS > VA > TN; there's nothing wrong with finding the tradeoffs of VA or TN to be the least objectionable.
Thank you for sharing! Been a long time since I shopped for a display--last one I bought was a 20" Eizo TXD7S. It can do 2048x1536 all day long over a vga cable even today. There's not enough room for a CRT and workspace on my desk here, so all the CRTs are on the remote computers.

Oh nice, I need to look into this at home, I have an upstairs and a downstairs computer and I often wish I could control them from each other.

First things first though, I need to get a damn ethernet cable going upstairs. Gaming on shit-wifi is no fun.
It's very simple to setup, but once you've logged into the system, whoever is at the current system can't use it anymore (it shows that someone else is logged into the computer). If you want to be able to control it and not affect the local access, I'd use tinyvnc and a vnc client. It isn't as fast, but since you're on a lan, either will do the job. VNC will allow you to control the system without affecting the logged-in state of the system, and someone can even use the system at the same time as you do, so you can use it to monitor activity as well.

If you don't have time to run an ethernet cable, try a pair of powerline adapters. They'll either work right out of the box with a solid connection or they won't. I use these at my parents house where a cat5 run was not run to a room. It's an older netgear 500av nano and still gets 50/25 consistently with <5ms pings. That would solve the gaming issues for sure.

And if you want more bandwidth, try moca 2.0 adapters as they can break 500Mbps right out of the box. Usually most people are getting near 1Gbps over these.

It's very simple to setup, but once you've logged into the system, whoever is at the current system can't use it anymore (it shows that someone else is logged into the computer). If you want to be able to control it and not affect the local access, I'd use tinyvnc and a vnc client. It isn't as fast, but since you're on a lan, either will do the job. VNC will allow you to control the system without affecting the logged-in state of the system, and someone can even use the system at the same time as you do, so you can use it to monitor activity as well.

If you don't have time to run an ethernet cable, try a pair of powerline adapters. They'll either work right out of the box with a solid connection or they won't. I use these at my parents house where a cat5 run was not run to a room. It's an older netgear 500av nano and still gets 50/25 consistently with <5ms pings. That would solve the gaming issues for sure.

And if you want more bandwidth, try moca 2.0 adapters as they can break 500Mbps right out of the box. Usually most people are getting near 1Gbps over these.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

I don't think i really care about being able to use the system while accessing remotely, so I'll be happy with RDP at least to start.

As for the powerline thing, the wiring in my house is very old, so not sure how well that'd go, but I'll look into it if ethernet proves hard to run.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

I don't think i really care about being able to use the system while accessing remotely, so I'll be happy with RDP at least to start.

As for the powerline thing, the wiring in my house is very old, so not sure how well that'd go, but I'll look into it if ethernet proves hard to run.
You're welcome! :) RDP is super simple to setup so that will be easy-peasy.

It's amazing what powerline can do. I actually ran the same set in a commercial environment that was built in 1995, and it went between panels and still had a solid connection. And the newer models are even better. I say go grab a set locally and try them--you can always return them if you don't like them and it will probably take less time than even measuring for a cat5 run, lol.

Back