SMC 16x4 cable model for $58.44 + shipping

Dawill

Limp Gawd
Picked up a SMC 16x4 cable modem which is compatible with TWC 300mbps service for 58.44+shipping+tax. Sucks that you have to pay both shipping and tax, so out the door I paid $76.10. However amazon has the same model for $99.99. So it's still a savings of over $30 for me (have to pay tax at amazon too).

I got this in the mail yesterday and I'm seeing speeds of 320mbps down and 22mbps up on twc. My previous modem 8x modem was capped @ 110/11mbps. So I'm getting about 3x more down and 2x more up.

Link to buy is @ http://www.ptsupply.com/shop/electr...tworks-modem-cable-16x4-data-only-single-port

reference amazon link is http://www.amazon.com/SMC-Networks-...9979023&sr=8-1&keywords=smc+networks+d3cm1604

I believe this also works with charter and comcast, but I've only verified it on TWC in Austin.

I think this is their normal price so no expiration date as I can tell. However it's a huge savings over retail. So I figured I would post it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have posted about this in many threads, it is the same HW as the new SB6183, which is $130 from amazon. I can also say this does indeed work with Comcast, as they are who I have and I also have this modem, been very solid.

I have posted about this in many threads, it is the same HW as the new SB6183, which is $130 from amazon. I can also say this does indeed work with Comcast, as they are who I have and I also have this modem, been very solid.

Good to know. I did a quick search in the deal forum and didn't see anything. For anybody looking for a 16x modem, I think this is the best deal. I was actually going to buy this for $100+tax at amazon but found a link to this ptsupply store on some random forum somewhere.

Arris/motorola is way too proud of their modems. Not sure why somebody would pay 2x as much for the same thing.

Good to know. I did a quick search in the deal forum and didn't see anything. For anybody looking for a 16x modem, I think this is the best deal. I was actually going to buy this for $100+tax at amazon but found a link to this ptsupply store on some random forum somewhere.

Arris/motorola is way too proud of their modems. Not sure why somebody would pay 2x as much for the same thing.

I wouldn't say these are the "same thing" without opening one up. They use the same Broadcom chipset (and so does the Netgear 500 16x4) however the other board components and future support are also important. The ISP pushes new firmware out to cable modems, will an SMC device be as supported as a Moto modem? No one knows yet. Hell I bought a Netgear C3700 8x4 modem + N router when they were new (and in the TWC supported list). TWC couldn't get it provisioned correctly for three days. Finally a L2 tech told me to return it and buy a Moto 6141 which was their standard. I picked up the 6141 and it's been working since day 1. This mostly means TWC is incompetent, but still a valid data point.

There are a very small number of wireless router chipsets being used in current AC routers. This doesn't meant all wireless routers perform the same in actual use. A Netgear Nighthawk uses the same Broadcom 4708 chipset as a lot of budget modems under $100, however the Nighthawk is still regarded as one of the best consumer routers even at $170.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say these are the "same thing" without opening one up. They use the same Broadcom chipset (and so does the Netgear 500 16x4) however the other board components and future support are also important. The ISP pushes new firmware out to cable modems, will an SMC device be as supported as a Moto modem? No one knows yet. Hell I bought a Netgear C3700 8x4 modem + N router when they were new (and in the TWC supported list). TWC couldn't get it provisioned correctly for three days. Finally a L2 tech told me to return it and buy a Moto 6141 which was their standard. I picked up the 6141 and it's been working since day 1. This mostly means TWC is incompetent, but still a valid data point.

There are a very small number of wireless router chipsets being used in current AC routers. This doesn't meant all wireless routers perform the same in actual use. A Netgear Nighthawk uses the same Broadcom 4708 chipset as a lot of budget modems under $100, however the Nighthawk is still regarded as one of the best consumer routers even at $170.

The SB is pretty much the same, I believe someone on DSLreports have looked at them already, they also use the same FW with a different GUI, they also both use the same logging and spectrum analyzer, that might change down the road, they might push a custom FW, but to me that says both these modems are pretty damn close to each other.

I have a SB6120 with 25mbps service from Comcast. Would getting this modem benefit me in any way?

I have a SB6120 with 25mbps service from Comcast. Would getting this modem benefit me in any way?

Unlikely. The SB6120 can support 160Mbps service. It is a 4-channel modem.

Now, if you experience periods where you get significantly less than your 25MBps service, this modem MAY help you if the congestion is on the 4 channels your modem is using and not on the CMTS uplink or the local backbone uplink.

The advantage of 16 channels is that you are now sharing more channels so there is more likely to be at least 25Mbps for you to use at all times.

The SMC D3CM1604 from ptsupply is currently the clear value leader for a basic 16x4 cable modem.

The SMC D3CM1604, the Netgear CM500, and the Arris/Motorola SB6183 are basically the same thing. And with the SMC D3CM1604 being much cheaper from ptsupply, it is easy a best buy. You can get TWO SMC D3CM1604 from ptsupply for about the same price as ONE Arris/Motorola SB6183.

The SMC did not activate on Charter via install.charter.com. Tier 2 also could not activate it due to a "firmware mismatch" and they don't have firmware to push to the device.

Definitely a good deal. Timewarner sold us on 200/20 internet service, not letting us know, they didn't support the 4 channels on the SB6120, only the first channel, equating to 50mb down/5 up, so... going to get my roomate to downgrade our service until we get this modem. Timewarner was a nightmare to deal with on the phone, they did not even want to activate our modem at first, and gave us the run around for 2 weeks, telling us we should not have bought our own modem. Would have been nice if they told us, the service we were getting wasn't even possible on the modem we had. Our old location 50 down was TWC's max connection and the Modem was fine there of course.

This is a good buy if your ISP supports it. It doesn't matter if the hardware is the same, if your ISP can't activate they can't activate it, don't rely on their websites but call their customer supporter.

If you don't have a need for 100mbps+ I would stick with that 4x4 or 8x4 modem you currently have, there isn't much of a need to upgrade right now unless you have a need for that extra speed. I say this as DOCSIS 3.1 will be your next "upgrade path" for when we hit standard gbps speeds. This should be our next modem standard that would be replacing the generic SB6121 that cable carriers give everyone.

I ordered one and I'm kind of pissed. I'm a little annoyed I didn't sign up for an account and just did it as a guest. They charged me:

$83.63. $58.44 for the product, $12.91 for shipping... $12.28 in tax? I don't know what state it is shipping out of but I know there's certain restrictions on charging tax on shipping charges... even so that's over 17.xx% if you include taxing on shipping charges, and over 21.xx% if you don't include the shipping charges.

*Nevermind my shitty math, I was trying to calculate percentages while having a "business meeting" [pooping] before heading to work.*

Last edited:
I ordered one and I'm kind of pissed. I'm a little annoyed I didn't sign up for an account and just did it as a guest. They charged me:

$83.63. $58.44 for the product, $12.91 for shipping... $12.28 in tax? I don't know what state it is shipping out of but I know there's certain restrictions on charging tax on shipping charges... even so that's over 17.xx% if you include taxing on shipping charges.and over 43.x% if you don't include the shipping charges.

Was my first and last purchase from them. Charter couldn't activate the modem, I go back to ptsupply to try to get a refund and despite their policy on their site they wouldn't authorize a refund because I'm not a dealer? So I've got a nice paper weight at home.

I'm not a docsis engineer for one of the aforementioned companies that focuses on modem testing so ignore me. SMC is unreliable garbage /end

*outy before you can flame me*

(SMC has major issues with channel bonding at imperfect noise levels. Fuck that was a bad day.)

Was my first and last purchase from them. Charter couldn't activate the modem, I go back to ptsupply to try to get a refund and despite their policy on their site they wouldn't authorize a refund because I'm not a dealer? So I've got a nice paper weight at home.

I emailed the customer service and we'll see what happens. If the item ships out before I get a response I'm going to be a little annoyed. I honest want a breakdown of how they charged me so I don't have to deal with me receiving the item and being stuck with it.

At $83 I'd rather spend a few extra dollars with Amazon Prime and get 2 day shipping and knowing that I'll receive proper customer support. It's shady... to get charged 17-21% tax without an explanation.

Their response is that they charge an extra 10% charge incase something is miscalculated on their part... and that the extra amount should be refunded within a few days. That seems a bit fishy to say the least and doesn't instill confidence. If their website/software isn't setup properly to calculate shipping charges, etc...

But hell we'll see if it works when it gets here.

Last edited:
Their response is that they charge an extra 10% charge incase something is miscalculated on their part... and that the extra amount should be refunded within a few days.

Holy shit it's like their first day on the Internet, ha!

The saga continues. So they've credited me back the full amount of 83.xx and now they've charged me 83.xx again.

I kind of just want my modem and forget this company ever existed.

Well I finally got my package and it took about 5 minutes to get it activated on TWC. All is running fine and if you do order make sure you check what you were charged...

At $30 it's worth the potential headache...

Wow, this is a steal at 30 bucks, remember, this is the same HW as the newest 16x4 moto, however that doesn't mean it is supported on all the same ISPs. Still running great on my Comcast business line however, been months (since install) without a single restart.

Wow, this is a steal at 30 bucks, remember, this is the same HW as the newest 16x4 moto, however that doesn't mean it is supported on all the same ISPs. Still running great on my Comcast business line however, been months (since install) without a single restart.

Same chipset doesn't mean its all the same hardware internally.

Having said that, for $30+$12 shipping I am tempted to try one on TWC. My 6141 always does horribly after any power failure in the area. Power failures are pretty regular evens from tree limbs falling on power lines in the area. I think the issue is on TWC's side, however I don't have another modem to verify.

Same chipset doesn't mean its all the same hardware internally.

Having said that, for $30+$12 shipping I am tempted to try one on TWC. My 6141 always does horribly after any power failure in the area. Power failures are pretty regular evens from tree limbs falling on power lines in the area. I think the issue is on TWC's side, however I don't have another modem to verify.

They were both taken apart, was shown they both used the same broadcom reference boards, at launch, they also used the same or almost the same FW, even the GUI looked almost exactly the same other than branding. I believe the FW side has changed, but don't think anything with the HW has.

Well if Comcast doubles it speed or whatever, then maybe it'll be a worthy upgrade over my sb6141, however as it stands it's hard to complain about 180Mbps and think I'll get better.

Back