smartphones and microSD speeds

silk186

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm looking to upgrade my phone soon (Samsung s4). It was going to be to an Samsung s6 but the lack of microSD support has me looking at the HTC one M9. I don't care much about having a removable battery but I want microSD support. My fiancée has an apple 5s and she can't update her phone without freeing up space (I'm not paying the price difference for the 128GB model). This got me pricing microSD cards.

Currently 128GB cards are not cost effective and 64GB seems to be the sweat spot price wise. The next consideration is speed, 45MB/s vs 90Mb/s. Outside of pulling the microSD and connecting is to my computer with a usb3.0 card reader would I see any benefit from the speed increase within the phone? Would it improve responsiveness, can the phone take advantage of it? I'm not sure what the limitations are in relation to internal transfer speeds.

The only difference you would see is if you were loading an app or transferring files to/from the SDcard. Other than that you wont see a difference when playing music or pulling up photos

128GB is actually getting quite price competitive

on-sale price for 64GB is roughly $25-$40.... cheapest 128GB is $80... slightly more than double the price for double the storage (ignoring the speed difference)

the major need of speed would be video recording (especially at 1080p or higher)... any other use (eg watching movies, downloading files, playing games) shouldn't need an extreme rating (eg >30MB/s should be enough)

The price difference between the 64GB and 128GB is too significant to consider the larger capacity (in the UK). Especially considering I currently have 16GB internal + 32GB external (48GB total) and will be upgrading to 32GB internal + 64GB external storage (96GB total). By the time I need more storage I will probably have upgraded phones twice and 256GB will be on sale for 20 USD.

So, the conclusion is that 90Mb/s is not worth the additional cost for typical usage.

I find that the phones seem to operate more smoothly with cards that are made by good companies like SANDISK, SAMSUNG, etc

I have found others to be hit or miss on their speed ratings...

Back