Smartphone on a budget

CRSharff

Gawd
Hello everybody, I am looking for some advice.

I am currently a college student so money is certainly not abundant. I know many of you despise the recent changes to the AT&T data plans but for some people (me at least) it brings the cost of the lowest voice plan 39.99 and the lowest data 200mb, 14.99, to a reasonable monthly fee. Before: $70 /month Now: $54.99 /month. Currently I own an ipod touch which I have used immensely and I itch for times when I could use 3G.

The reason that the low data plan doesn't bother me is I have WiFi in about 75% of the places I visit most often - my house, girlfriends house, campus. I don't foresee myself using very much data and of course I will watch my usage though.

My dilemma is: I really would like an Android phone. The new iPhone 4G looks pretty bad ass and I can't say that I don't like the product but I like the openness of the Android platform and 2.2 Froyo looks amazing. I have also heard a lot of complaints about AT&T.

So do you guys think that the other cell phone companies will follow in AT&T's footsteps and allow for a lower tier data plan or should I just jump on the iPhone?

Moto Droid's are $20 a wirefly. That's a good android phone which you can OC and run Froyo on already

No chance in hell he could get SERO, Sprint is doing everything in their power to curbstomp that plan and it's all but impossible to transfer. It also doesn't apply to the phones he's talking about anyway.

Also, are you not planning to text at all on these phones, OP? Because you haven't included that in the cost of an iPhone.

Moto Droid's are $20 a wirefly. That's a good android phone which you can OC and run Froyo on already
Droids are excellent, and I'm very happy with mine, but if I was buying a new phone today I'm not sure I would opt for a Droid over a Droid Incredible. But that's a personal choice.

Well thats the new Sero which is $60 for 500 minutes Unlimitted Data/Txt I believe.

No chance in hell he could get SERO, Sprint is doing everything in their power to curbstomp that plan and it's all but impossible to transfer. It also doesn't apply to the phones he's talking about anyway.

Also, are you not planning to text at all on these phones, OP? Because you haven't included that in the cost of an iPhone.

No don't plan on texting, if I do I thought I heard that you can get around that by sending SMS through data.

Just can just pay per text. That's what I did until my use exceeded the $5 a month plan.

Back