Slow work computer help

ferrisnox

Gawd
So I recently transferred but was not able to take my current system with me.

So I inherited a IBM 622321U Intellistation Pro Z. Its got dual 3.6ghz xeon's 2gig DDR2 PC3200 and an Nvidia Quadro FX-1300, some maxtor 80gig system drive and a terrabyte storage drive. Now I had a Dell 755 with a Core2Duo 2.2ghz with 2gigs. etc.. and it seemed much faster.

Both are running Win 7 Enterprise 64bit. Am I missing something? Is it in my head? The dell seems to smoke the Intellistation. Any suggestions for speeding up the IBM?

Thanks
I hate slow work computers.

If the xeons are based on P4 technology. And to me it looks that way when you mention PC3200.. That is expected. core2 is significantly faster clock for clock. Subtract about 1800 MHz from the P4 clock speed to get the equivalent core2 speed.

Yeah what drescherjm said. You have a Pentium 4 based Xeons. Since you have two, you basically have a Pentium D like PC. As drescherjm asid, a 1.8Ghz C2D CPU can outperform a 3.6Ghz Pentium D/Pentium 4 CPU.

In addition. the HDD in the Dell is more than likely newer than the Maxtor 80GB drive in the Intellistation assuming that Maxtor originally came with the Intellistation. As such, the HDD in the Dell would be faster and make the system that much more responsive.

Not much you can do to improve the performance of that Intellistation besides upgrading the OS drive to a faster drive like the WD 640GB Black.

Back