Skyrim Paid Mods After Fallout 4

Then again, I'm also not paying for something where a patch could break the mod and then the modder runs off with all the money and never updates again. Fuck that.

Or more to the point, I am not paying someone in the community to fix Bethesda's fucking bugtastic game (and they are always horrendously buggy) and thereby indirectly line Bethesda's pockets. I am very appreciative of someone taking the time to make such mods that actually make the game playable on PC, but paying for them sends the wrong message when publishers routinely release their games in deplorably broken states or can't be arsed putting in the effort to design the game around PC hardware/inputs. All you achieve is incentivizing half arsed releases.

Someone said it best in the news comments.

If you guys a car, does the car maker get a cut of the profits for things you put on the car once you bought it?

Just another greedy way for publishers to try and make more money off the work of modders instead.

Why not have a donate button that is clearly visible on the mods page and when people go to download it, I'm sure that';d generate money for the modders who do all the work.

Then again, I'm also not paying for something where a patch could break the mod and then the modder runs off with all the money and never updates again. Fuck that.

That is the nature of mods. Sometimes they get updated, sometimes the modders allow other modders to update them years down the line because they don't have the time or care to do it. Bring pay into it? Same situation, except a bunch of people will probably expect refunds and AAA studio customer support. Good luck when the content creators get 25% of the cut which amounts to below minimum wage.

As for spending more time that won't be possible. Even if they got paid $100K, it won't make a day longer than 24 hours. ;) In all seriousness, if they got paid that much it wouldn't be "mods" they're working on for below minimum wage. They'd have jobs in the industry. Unless they just need to get something in a portfolio.

Or more to the point, I am not paying someone in the community to fix Bethesda's fucking bugtastic game (and they are always horrendously buggy) and thereby indirectly line Bethesda's pockets. I am very appreciative of someone taking the time to make such mods that actually make the game playable on PC, but paying for them sends the wrong message when publishers routinely release their games in deplorably broken states or can't be arsed putting in the effort to design the game around PC hardware/inputs. All you achieve is incentivizing half arsed releases.

Agreed. Bethesda is taking 45% or whatever of that cut so they're getting paid coming and going.

Someone said it best in the news comments.

If you guys a car, does the car maker get a cut of the profits for things you put on the car once you bought it?

Just another greedy way for publishers to try and make more money off the work of modders instead.

Why not have a donate button that is clearly visible on the mods page and when people go to download it, I'm sure that';d generate money for the modders who do all the work.

I like the idea of a donate button but realistically I know I'm very unlikely to donate. I'd rather see modders selling their own mods for 100% of the profit, but then you run into copyright issues with Bethesda. However I don't really believe Bethesda or any developer deserve much, if any, of modding profit unless they create and maintain a robust modding toolkit that is essential for those modders to use. Otherwise, they can fuck off.

I'm fine with paying modders, but I don't think Bethesda or Valve deserve any money if I want to pay or donate to a modder. The only way I'm really ok with this is if it's done Humble Bundle style where the buyer gets to select what cut of their payment goes to Creator/Publisher/Hoster. I suppose a 90/5/5 spilt by default would be reasonable to help cover hosting and administrative costs. Anything else is just greed. Bethesda and Valve already collected their cut when I bought the game to begin with. They're not providing anything of value aside from server hosting space when I download a mod, and they certainly don't deserve to make profit if I choose to give money to a mod creator.

Back