server 2012r2 and dell ml6000 lto tape library

Hammer!

Limp Gawd
Hi, does anyone know if the built in server backup software in server 2012r2 will work with tape libraries? Or will I need to buy additional 3rd party software? I am looking to purchase a sas unit.

Thanks, hammer

Unfortunately, not. Per Microsoft's post on the subject "You cannot use tape drives as a backup storage location for Windows 2012 Server Backup. However, support of tape storage drivers is still included in Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2." Even in the other versions, the only supported a tape drive but not a library (the drive and the robotic equipment are addressed separately in most cases.) How much storage do you need to backup now, what do you forsee your increases over the next 36 months to be and what is your time window for backups to be completed? Is this a single server or multiple server backup? What is/are the OS(s) of your environment? Are you planning on backing up clients as well to tape (if so, what are the OS(s) in that case? What is your network topology (1Gb, 10Gb, 100Gb, etc?) What is your budget (initial outlay plus weekly/monthly outlays for addition EndOfMonth historical sets, Offsite storage of tapes?) Are you in an environment where there are administrative or regulatory requirements for the backup (HIPAA, WORM, etc?)

Unfortunately, not. Per Microsoft's post on the subject "You cannot use tape drives as a backup storage location for Windows 2012 Server Backup. However, support of tape storage drivers is still included in Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2." Even in the other versions, the only supported a tape drive but not a library (the drive and the robotic equipment are addressed separately in most cases.) How much storage do you need to backup now, what do you forsee your increases over the next 36 months to be and what is your time window for backups to be completed? Is this a single server or multiple server backup? What is/are the OS(s) of your environment? Are you planning on backing up clients as well to tape (if so, what are the OS(s) in that case? What is your network topology (1Gb, 10Gb, 100Gb, etc?) What is your budget (initial outlay plus weekly/monthly outlays for addition EndOfMonth historical sets, Offsite storage of tapes?) Are you in an environment where there are administrative or regulatory requirements for the backup (HIPAA, WORM, etc?)

Thanks. I don't have much to backup. It was just going to be a "for fun" project given how cheap some if the dell units are...would be neat to see the robotics in action. I assume the software needed for this is expensive?

Back