scandisk/chkdsk question

RedTalon19

Supreme [H]ardness
is there anyway to schedule xp to run a scan on a drive during the boot sequence before it gets to the desktop? i know you can do it with the boot volume but i need to do it to a different drive.

my problem is that my computer bsod with a driver not equal to less error or whatever then reboots. i try running a scandisk/chkdsk on the drive and it also bsod and reboots. any other ideas besides a chkdsk?

If your getting that BSOD, a scandisk/chkdsk isn't going to fix the problem.

djnes said:
If your getting that BSOD, a scandisk/chkdsk isn't going to fix the problem.

no dont tell me that. my music collection is on that drive. if i cant fix this problem then this will be the second time i've completly lost my entire music collection in as many years :eek: :mad: :(

If you can get into windows, either thru safe mode or normal mode and go under properties of your hard drive. you can go to scandisk, though you will have to restart your computer to have it happen. If the problem is larger than that, then try a disk defrag or just reinstall windows over the current the folder, you should not have to reformat your drive to do so.

Caliche

That's a driver and/or hardware problem. Can you get into safe mode? Try uninstalling everything in device manager and then rebooting. If that doesn't help then do it again but take out all of the extra hardware you can before going back into Windows. If THAT doesn't work (or if you don't mind doing this in the first place, I only suggest the above because you seem to be against doing this), reinstall Windows.

*Smacks head*

Well, one part was correct. It is a driver issue. All you need to do is find out which driver it is complaining about, based on the file it shows during the BSOD. Upgrade or re-install those drivers and your fine. You don't need to go into Device Manager and uninstall everything. Why the hell would you need to do that when only one hardware device driver is having a problem?

the only time i bsod is when i try to access that drive, so booting into safemode is not a problem at all. in fact i booted into the basic admin account once in safe mode and i just successfully completed a basic scandisk, now doing a defrag. after that i'll boot regularily and see how it goes

Okay, and if you know exactly what driver it's complaining about, good for you. But it doesn't tell you, "If you want to stop this error, go uninstall this driver in safe mode and reboot."

dandragonrage said:
Okay, and if you know exactly what driver it's complaining about, good for you. But it doesn't tell you, "If you want to stop this error, go uninstall this driver in safe mode and reboot."

It always refers to a file. You can always figure out which driver it is. Bill Gates isn't going to pop out of your screen and hold your hand through it, but it isn't difficult.

That BSOD isn't always drivers, in fact I have found only about 50% are. The rest are memory/data corruption issues (read, any piece of hardware). I'd be leaning to something in the mobo/chipset drivers, but you mention your data loss 2 years ago, this could be a data corruption issue. .

First question, is ANY of the hardware that was in your PC when you lost your collection in the PC now?

This is not a scandisk/defrag issue.

edit: damn, two posts while I was writing... OK, if it's working in safe mode 95% chance this is a driver issue, mobo/chipset.

w00t.ok completed that scan & defrag then removed the basic IDE drivers and rebooted. it reinsatlled everything fine and automatically and so far i've been accessing the drive for about 5 mins with no problems at all. i wont be satisfied until i go the rest of today without a crash. but so far so good. problem started about a week ago and just progressivly got worse.

and... all the hardware in the machine is exactly the same from the previous data crash EXCEPT i had a raid array then, and that was my problem.... i was dumb enough to store data on a raid 0 array. i know it was dumb and i paid the price :(

Good. Now just go and get the updated drivers for your mobo and you should be set, don't stay on the basic drivers forever...

I think chkdsk has been covered, so I have some advice if/when that doesn't work. Go into BIOS and disable any onboard LAN or other onboard components. If that doesn't help at all, do a repair install.

I have seen this problem many times and a repair install will get you up and running again 90% of the time.

The Bryophyte said:
I think chkdsk has been covered, so I have some advice if/when that doesn't work. Go into BIOS and disable any onboard LAN or other onboard components. If that doesn't help at all, do a repair install.

I have seen this problem many times and a repair install will get you up and running again 90% of the time.

Yeah, if you don't mind the grenade to kill an ant comparison. That will take 10 times longer to fix than just reading the message, pinpointing the file, and correcting the drivers.

Phoenix86 said:
Good. Now just go and get the updated drivers for your mobo and you should be set, don't stay on the basic drivers forever...

eh i'm not worried about that, it was the primary and secondary ide channel that i removed from device manager. the drive is actually located on the raid channels but i did not remove those drivers. i think the basic scan in safe mode did the trick anyways.

thx for the quick help i was really shitting a brick there....

by chance you running aggressive memory timings?

might want to review this
Corruption 101
as youll note I havent just been spending my time here just spamming :p
Its good to see you again, one of the few on my buddylist to return from the good old days ;)
seen you pop in and out, but now that [G]Mayhem is back...
seems youve taken up residence again

Back