SB - EIST/Turbo Boost/C1E/Speed Step

crawlgsx

[H]ard|Gawd
I am an old school overclocker so when I got my sandybridge I went straight to disabling Turbo Boost/C1E/Speed Step etc...

Another member on here the other day asked me why I had Turbo Boost disabled and afterwards I realized I should probably give it a shot.

So I have Turbo boost enabled, 4.6ghz OC via turbo boost, EIST on.

Should I also run C1E Speed Step etc? In the past all of these functions drove me crazy, worked poorly, caused OC issues, so they were always off. Should I be running some of these features with Sandy Bridge?

if the overclock is stable, yes i'd use C1E/speedstep. as far as turbo boost i'd just disable it unless you manually edit the turbo boost steps to use the 4.6Ghz overclock. otherwise by default it just stays with the default multipliers used for turbo boost so you would lose performance instead of gain performance.

Normally, C1E and EIST work fine with overclocking SB chips, so I'd leave them on and see what happens. Overclocking through the turbo function is the normal way of overclocking SB, so you are good there as well. What are you doing with your voltages? Running a fixed voltage, using offset, or Auto?

I will be honest and say I have no idea what offset is (related to voltage).

I am running a set voltage, 1.36, but my motherboard (according to CPU-Z) doesn't hold voltage very well (or ever lower it below) what I set it to. CPU-Z shows 1.36 idle @ 1600mhz, as soon as I put a load on it CPU-Z reports 1.416v.

Basically the way it is set now, it idles at 1600mhz/1.36v, and as soon as I do anything it jumps to 4.6/1.416v.

The change from 1.36 to 1.416 is just load line calibration adding voltage at load. Offset basically just takes the default voltage requested by the CPU (say 1.3 at 4.2) and adds the offset you specify - so a +.05 offset would cause the motherboard to send 1.35 volts instead of the 1.3 requested. The advantage of that is that it lets the CPU idle at the lower idle voltage (normally around 1.0) instead of running the higher voltage all the time. For moderate overclocks (up to 4.6 or so) you can also just leave the voltage to Auto, and the motherboards seem to do a pretty good job of supplying enough voltage to keep things happy - probably a little more than needed, but usually in the ballpark.

If you decide to play around with offset, it is normally better to use a lower setting for load line calibration coupled with a hgher offset (so if you need 1.4, instead of setting 1.38 via offset and letting LLC add the other .02, you would set 1.395 via offset and let LLC add the other .005). Otherwise the voltage supplied at light loads (when LLC isn't feeding additional voltage) sometimes isn't enough, and the system crashes.

Back