Say it ain't so... Bing Cashback dying?

:-\

good thing my last two purchases pushed me above the 5 dollar minimum. so, i just have to wait until July to claim my $

So does that mean that my money that has 55 days left pending wont be paid out? Or is it that as long as it is in the system as pending as of the end of July you'll still get paid?

Daaaaaaaaaamn that sucks. Bing was a great lil bonus. This is front page news worthy IMO.

eh... I guess it was decent for some folks, but I never liked the mail-in-rebate vibe of it. If it were instant, I problably would of used it more.

You know, it was just a way for MS to get people to use Bing over Google.
And sell your information to 3rd parties...
So while yes, free money is good, it's not exactly free.

Good riddance in my mind, I like my personal info to stay... well personal (or as much as i can control it)

It'll be interesting to see how this effects Bing Shopping as a whole. I'd be willing to bet that they see a huge dip in traffic.

Stinks, but there are many alternatives that have been around since long before Bing. The main thing that sucks is that some of the Bing ones were higher percents (especially ones like the eBay deals).

www.Fatwallet.com and www.MrRebates.com are two very good alternatives though, and like I said, have actually been around longer.

So does that mean that my money that has 55 days left pending wont be paid out? Or is it that as long as it is in the system as pending as of the end of July you'll still get paid?

Read the article....they are keeping the payout system and support live for a year after the end date.

You think MS loses money with this? They said they canceled this because it didn't grow to widespread adoption. I think their idea was to get Bing to be commonplace, so that merchants AND customers would be used to this sort of thing. Merchants would probably adjust their prices up accordingly in order to factor in Cashback into the price. Customers would probably end up Netting the same cost as if Cashback not existed. In effect, you would overpay extra if you shopped through some other means. Since it's about money, I'm sure that was the plan all along.

I guess it was failure of adoption that killed it. which is too bad. It was so much easier than a rebate but I guess in the end that is what kills it - anything that is easy for the consumer...oh well I got my two 5870's from it ;)

I'm glad I got my 15" MBP and saved a bit off the top.

FFS BCB was just catching on and being considered legitimate on SD.

With Apple passing MS, MS has to start cutting losses and start saving or MS risks total failure and its own demise, no?

Their system kinda sucked.... and I had to use IE to even get it to work

but saved me some money in the long run... can't beat that

I agree this was a great program. Too bad MS can't make it a sustainable business. I wonder if Bing's search percentage will go down because of this. I won't be using Bing anymore if there is not cashback.

well that sucks....... i saved a lot of $$$$ with this.

Their system kinda sucked.... and I had to use IE to even get it to work

but saved me some money in the long run... can't beat that

Worked in Chrome, IE, and Firefox just fine for me. Very easy to use as well.

But again, nothing new to me. Have been using fatwallet for years before Bing.

RIP

the email does say a new program is coming this summer.. maybe we see some deals again

Well if you're building a new system you've got until July 30th to use bing cb!

Well if you're building a new system you've got until July 30th to use bing cb!

Yup, I guess I now have a hard deadline for putting a new system together. :p This is pretty sad news though, hopefully whatever they have in store for summer isn't totally worthless.

Is newegg still on bing cash back? I couldn't peg any keywords in bing to hit it.

Looks like it, just did a search for "i5 750" and NewEgg popped with their 2% BCB.

I used Cashback when ever I could. Saved $500 in total. I wish I would have used it more now.

At least you Americans got to use it for a lot of great things. Never available in Canada.

I take it it was probably because it didn't pay dividends for Microsoft, instead of increasing regular use of the Bing search engine, all people did was use it only when they went through links when they wanted to get BCB and avoided it like otherwise.

http://www.discoverbing.com/cashback/programupdate/index.html is the link from the BCB site with some explanation and details.

Yup, Microsoft sure knows what to buy and kill off... When MS bought Jellyfish, it did seem to pick up more. Jellyfish was just a way for me to get a little bit off something I was going to buy anyway if it happened to be available through one of their partner stores. With BCB, it actually got big enough for me to consider it as part of the vendor selection process (like MIRs).

I'm willing to bet that it's being discontinued because of people like me - the "smart shoppers" that stores hate. I tried Bing when it was first released. The results were worse than Google, or at least no better, so I saw no reason to switch. BCB hasn't changed that. If I'm looking to buy something, I search with Google and find it, then check BCB to see if there are any great cashback deals that would affect where I buy it. BCB has not increased my usage of Bing at all, other than the few clicks needed to get my money. My guess is that MS knows this is how most people use BCB, as opposed to everyone switching from Google to Bing full-time solely to get a few bucks off when they decide to buy something. If it's only being used by SlickDealers to get a deal on a specific product, then it's not really performing its job of advertising, it's just costing them money.

While in some ways I'm sad to see the program end, I must be realistic.

I've barely used BCB in the past 6+ months, because the percentages SUCKED and I could easily find a better deal at a site that did not offer BCB.
My last two purchases at NewEgg, I didn't even GET my 2% CB. And the value of the 2% isn't worth the hassle of dealing with Microsoft CS.

The BCB that we all loved has been dead for well over a year.
We will all miss the days of 20-30% cash back on Ebay, and the days of "instant" cash back.
But, honestly, I'm not going to shed many tears over losing 2% and the 60 day wait. :rolleyes:

Back