Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHZ OC 2GB

BradF1979

Limp Gawd
My 6950 is artifacting in DX10/11 games (not DX9 though)... so I bought a Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHZ OC 2GB yesterday at Amazon for $215 (with $15 rebate)... But I may be having a little bit of buyer's remorse after reading about all the black screen issues with not only the 7870s in general but specifically Sapphire's.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I did read the article posted late last year that they think they found the source of the issue and Sapphire admitted they had a batch run of cards that didn't take into account a change by AMD to keep power stabilized to the card. But they say everything should be resolved by now...

Cause for concern or not?

And final question, was it a bad purchase to buy the Pitcairn when just as recently as earlier this week I could have gotten a Tahiti from Newegg for the same price?

It's not a problem unless it happens to you. Last question: Yes. But not horrible.

Pitcairn= cooler running and less power used for about the same performance.

You can always overclock

I need a cooler card as my PC is in a huge wooden computer armoire which doesn't ventilate as well as I like... but according to my wife 'looks nice'. I think the Tahiti is probably a bit faster, but I think going with the cooler solution is better for me.

Back