sandy bridge (2500k) -> haswell or skylake for games?

you2

[H]ard|Gawd
My 2500k system has a few minor issues so I am going to upgrade it and the question is am I better off going with skylake ior haswell refresh for single gpu solution (gtx 980 or amd equivalent). If I go with haswell refresh I can reuse the ram so that is a slight plus. It was not clear to me if skylake had much to offer for games due to gpu latency.

I will likely go with an i5 since there only seems ot be marginal advantage of an i7 for games.

You're better off going for Haswell in terms of price/performance-ratio
//Danne

I had a i5-2500k for years, what a great chip. Oc'ed it to 5ghz beginning of this year and man was it nice...but to be honest I replaced the machine with an i7-4790k and even running only 4.6~4.8ghz (depends on the mood I'm in) the Devils Canyon chip was just better in responsivenes. From what I heard the i5-4690k feels just as good for games so I gotta vouch for it since prices on it are super low now too (you can get one sub $200 in Georgia from local stores like Microcenter and Fry's).

Ultimately total cost also is cheaper with Devils canyon/Haswell so I gotta vouch for that.

Back