Samsung Galaxy S24 / S24+ / S24 Ultra

So I actually just called the 1-855 number that took forever just to get a hold of someone having to give my order number and detail several different times to different people before I could actually get a live person to discuss my issue.

After all that, there's nothing they could do unless I pay for a brand new second phone up front. Right now they have to wait to receive my old defective unit back review and inspect it and once that's approved then they could chip out another phone but they said I would just have to reorder again so I will get a refund after it's been inspected and then I have to place a new order from scratch.

Ok, thanks Samsung, I will never purchase anything from them again.

I'm just so stressed about this whole ordeal. First getting the phone yesterday, unsure if I'd like it. And immediately once unboxed it and looked at the device and held it, I was really liking it.

Then turning it on and getting it set up I was very surprised how smooth and fluid it was. TouchWiz was long gone, this truly was an amazing device.

And then tweaking it and installing themes and getting it close to how I liked it, I was in joy last night. Proud papa of my new smartphone I was unsure I'd like it not, but kept an open mind.

And boy did I really like it, was great, and felt so high-end.

Went to bed with the phone at 90% charged. And just left it on the desk in my computer room. Slept with a smile 😁 on my face knowing Samsung finally turned it around, a truly awesome phone. Best of the best.

And then this morning those feelings just vanished. Ugh. I pick up the phone notice that always on display wasn't showing. I thought to myself that's strange. I tapped the phone to wake it. Nothing happened. Hmm that's very strange. I pressed the power button to turn the screen and again nothing happened. Ugh what's going on? I then did my typical long press and hold the power button to restart it nothing. I've ended the other hold the volume down key and the power button at the same time for 15 or 20 seconds. Again nothing happened.

I started to panic and was like what the hell happened? I literally just sat the phone on my desk last night with almost a full charge and went to bed. Nobody touched it. Nothing happened to it. It was just sitting on my desk all night. And to come to it this morning with it. Totally dead phone was unbelievable. It just made no sense. This has never once happened to me before. Phone worked perfect last night, how did it just go dead over night?

And then the fiasco with Samsung support dealing with five different chat people calling the couple people there and all of them really not offering any help. Just bring it back and purchase a new one right now.

All that left such a sour taste in my mouth. We'll see what happens. I'll package it up and return it on Monday. Let me cool my jets and calm down. Maybe I'll reorder a new one once they get it back. We'll see...

I probably would have had the same reaction Zorachus. The phone met and even exceeded your expectations. Was a shock to see it fail in the way that it did. I think you would give them another chance.

Last edited:
I used to Root and ROM my phones back in the day, I'm pretty good at troubleshooting issues.

I've tried all the options, hold power button + vol down key for 30 seconds. Or hold power button + vol up key for 30 seconds. Tried those and still nothing.

Try different USB-C cables yep, and nothing. Try a different charging brick, yep nothing.

Plug the phone into my high-end gaming PC, yep, nothing.

Put it on the wireless charger for awhile, yep nothing.

This is the most bizarre and weird dead new phone I've ever come across, and I even "bricked" a few phones with bad ROM installs, and was still able to recover / fix them. But not this S24U, this phone is just DEAD. And it's the strangest thing ever, because last night it was working brand new like a champ, and this morning just nothing. Like it's soul and life were sucked away LOL. Ugh WTF.

Well that's sucks, I'm surprised I didn't get that S24U myself, that's about my luck usually. I hope you give it another shot with the S24U tho, seems like you liked it when it was working. Good luck and I hope it gets all straightened out with a new phone.

I know I'm just one in a million with a bad S24 Ultra, it's rare but defective phones happen.

But I will say my first night with the phone working I was extremely impressed. OneUI 6.2 was way better than I could've imagined. And the build quality and design of the phone was top tier.

So what happened to me is extremely rare, and probably happens to every phone brand and model out there in very one off cases.

Would I recommend the S24U to others? Yes absolutely.

You aren't. People are having issues. My friend just returned her second replacement and won't be getting at third.

Ugh. Ok no way am I ordering again and going through this all over.

Should've bought the unlocked version at my local Best Buy, worse case if it fails I could just walk into the store and exchange on the spot.

I typically try to buy expensive tech locally in a retail store if possible, because of this kind of stuff. Thank God I have a Microcenter near me for my PC parts.

It's funny, people bitch about Google Pixel phones being crap and have to RMA a Pixel multiple times. Not me, I've ordered almost every Pixel XL / Pro phone over the years, and had no issue.

Plus as much as I was surprised how much I liked the S24 Ultra, I was thinking, yeah it's a super cool phone, but is it night and day better than my Pixel 8 Pro? No. Better yes, but not $300 to $400 better, no way. If I kept the S24U I would've sold my Pixel, but still wouldn't get much for the Pixel 8 Pro, and like I said, yeah the S24U is cool and all, but $1400 is stupid high for a smartphone. My Pixel 8 Pro cost me $899 brand new, and right now Google has a sale going $799, which is a super deal for the P8P.

If you compare a $1400 Galaxy S24 Ultra to a $799 Pixel 8 Pro, there's no question the almost half priced Pixel is the way to go, that's a huge price difference, for really not a massive difference in smartphone quality and features. Like I said, yes the S24U is better for sure, but $600 better, uh nope.

Last edited:
I'm done crying over my dead S24U LOL. Shipping it back via FedEx tomorrow.

But I am curious, what happened to it? What type of hardware failure? I'm a pretty tech smart guy, and just wondering it worked perfectly fine and great the first day, so what caused it to just literally have it's soul and life sucked away and kill it overnight? Not bitching about Samsung or anything, I'm just genuinely confused what kind of hardware issue it could've been?

It would've made more sense if the phone was dead out of the box, not even turning on once. But to work fine day, and dead the next, stumps me.

phones are just getting ridiculously overpriced.... it just a flipping phone I don't not understand. anotherway for ppl to keep up with the Jones mentality... sorry end of rant

I know I'm just one in a million with a bad S24 Ultra, it's rare but defective phones happen.

But I will say my first night with the phone working I was extremely impressed. OneUI 6.2 was way better than I could've imagined. And the build quality and design of the phone was top tier.

So what happened to me is extremely rare, and probably happens to every phone brand and model out there in very one off cases.

Would I recommend the S24U to others? Yes absolutely.
Damn, I'd be pissed beyond belief too were I in your situation, and Samsung customer "support" is already... infamously substandard. You'd think a $1,300+ smartphone would have appropriately premium customer service to back it up.

I wasn't kidding about how much they've stepped up their software game in the One UI era, though, and your experiences, for the ONE day that it worked, seem to back that up.

Out of curiosity, what were you using to charge it? I know USB-C has been a real clusterfuck with charging standards on top of everything else associated with that port, to the point of Chromebook Pixels and Nintendo Switches and god knows what else getting fried when being used with the "wrong" charger, only made worse by how they don't even include the damn charger in the box now and you're just expected to buy a separate one.

So far, I've just been using the same little "Super Fast Charging" power brick that came with the Note 20 Ultra, until last night when I noticed Micro Center (and Amazon and some other e-tailers, for that matter) had Anker 733s on sale for $70. So far, so good, which I'd damn well hope for the money.

phones are just getting ridiculously overpriced.... it just a flipping phone I don't not understand. anotherway for ppl to keep up with the Jones mentality... sorry end of rant
There's only a few reasons I can tolerate today's overpriced phones:
  • With Samsung in particular, NOBODY pays full price for these things. The trade-in values are too good if you don't mind three-year carrier contracts.
  • I'm not the kind of idiot to replace a phone literally every year. Note 4 -> Note 8 -> Note 20 Ultra -> S24 Ultra: that's about three years between each, which feels more like just paying a few hundred per year to have a phone that's pleasant to use, and I can see myself rocking the S24U for even longer with the promised 7 years of software updates, as long as it's still working years down the line.

I wireless charged it Friday night, was at 90% and then I was tweaking it and playing with it for an hour before bed, I set the phone down on my desk and went to bed.

Wake up, notice the always on display wasn't on, hmm, ok, I double tap the screen, phone didn't light up, hmm ok strange. Then I press the power button, phone doesn't light up. Ugh this is really weird I thought. I then press and hold down the power button for 20 seconds, nothing.

Now I'm panicking, WTF. I plug in a charger and nothing happens. I then try a different charger, nothing. I then leave it on a charger for an hour, try power button nothing. Then put it on the wireless charger for an hour, then try it, nope.

Phone is dead. And it makes no sense at all, just cannot understand how the heck the phone just died over night?

I would assume the battery had a defect and outright died or something. There's really no room for any other component to die randomly like that. Unless maybe the display died too, which I've seen before with my wife's Note 5 back in the day. But it died slowly over the course of a few hours and was pretty interesting watching pixels die like cancer as it spread across the display.

Normally for the replacement phone when I've had to do it, they only put a hold on your CC for the replacement phone value and remove the hold when they receive the defective phone. So you're not being charged and refunded. And ideally they cross-ship the replacement phone so you don't have to wait as long for the replacement as well. I've never RMA'd with Samsung though, only Google and HTC back when the M8 came out.

What do we have here? Desperate, before I ship this back to Samsung today I held on the power button all of a sudden it showed a picture on the display 0% battery with the charger plug.

I heard someone else say this. Let the phone die down to 0% and then recharge it. It might work again. I don't know what that means or what that has to do with anything, but I'm charging it now. Let's see what happens.

Attachments

• PXL_20240212_130734628.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20240212_130734628.PORTRAIT.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 0
So I'm typing this on the S24 Ultra. I let it charge to 30% avd turned it on, and it works perfectly.

I did originally mess around with some deep battery settings when I first got the phone over some YouTube video, but just now switched back to default.

Isn't there an update from Samsung due soon? I might hold off returning this for a day, let's see how things go today.

Last edited:
My returned S24U was credited to my card, so I'm back on my Pixel 8 Pro. After reading Z's unpleasantness in S24U world I'm just gonna take a break from phone shopping for a while. I might take another shot with an S24U in a couple months if the screen issues are resolved.

F Samsung support, I originally paid in full with debit card to purchase the S24U which was like $1400+ w/Tax and shipping, but now for the replacement they are asking for payment in full again, and will refund the payment later once they get the bad phone back and review it, which could take a couple weeks or more per customer support.

This whole thing is leaving a very bad taste in my mouth, probably just going to return the bad phone, and get my money back, not get another one, and be done with Samsung.

UPDATE:

Customer Support said call the TD department 1-800 line explain all of this, and give them all order info and details, and they will probably waive the fee to purchase the new phone. Ugh, I got no time for this BS I have a very busy day. Now TD 1-800 is closed, only open Mon-Fri.
You are being a bit unreasonable. Do you really expect them to ship you a free device and trust you to return the defective one? Even advanced replacements on hard drives from WD and Seagate required a deposit if you didnt want to send yours in first. Next time use a credit card and not a debit card, let them auth it and when you return the phone the auth disappears.

---

I picked up my Titanium Orange Ultra and Buds2 this morning. Nice phone. Big. Fast. Heavy. My wife has the S24 Jade, hopefully they dont blow us up in our sleep.

Playing with this phone today ( brought it with me to office, no SIM yet ) but this thing truly is a beast, super sharp detailed amazing display, and the rectangular sharp shape seems so chiseled and just to futuristic looking. Like what I expected a future smartphone to eventually look like, and now were here.

The smoothness of unlocking the phone to the homescreen is fluid, and everything feels snappy and fast. And OneUI 6.1 is shockingly very minimal, like it feels pretty darn close to Pixel OS, but with way more customization and tweaks available. I have to say I am very surprised in a good way here.

What do we have here? Desperate, before I ship this back to Samsung today I held on the power button all of a sudden it showed a picture on the display 0% battery with the charger plug.

I heard someone else say this. Let the phone die down to 0% and then recharge it. It might work again. I don't know what that means or what that has to do with anything, but I'm charging it now. Let's see what happens.
I've had similar issues on two or three occasions with a Motorola Edge+ 2023. On those occasions I got the phone to restart by holding down the power button (or maybe it was power + volume) for a lengthy period - must have been at least 30 seconds. It seems to be a known intermittent issue with that phone. Maybe a similar issue is present with the S24U through its version of Android or one of the device drivers.

Playing with this phone today ( brought it with me to office, no SIM yet ) but this thing truly is a beast, super sharp detailed amazing display, and the rectangular sharp shape seems so chiseled and just to futuristic looking. Like what I expected a future smartphone to eventually look like, and now were here.

The smoothness of unlocking the phone to the homescreen is fluid, and everything feels snappy and fast. And OneUI 6.1 is shockingly very minimal, like it feels pretty darn close to Pixel OS, but with way more customization and tweaks available. I have to say I am very surprised in a good way here.
I'm waiting for you to lose your mind again. 😉

I guess I'm just very curious how these 24 hours go with the phone? Will it suddenly drain down and die on me overnight?

Yeah I'll admit I got pretty heated and pissed off this morning with my posts. Sorry. I was just very upset at what happened especially not being able to fix it like I thought I could.

And even more funny, weird is just how miraculously today Monday it finally started working again. Makes no fucking sense.

How have the fingerprint scanner and face ID functions worked for you? Both are maddeningly inconsistent on my P8P. The FPS performed so much better on my P7P. Anytime after dusk renders the face ID on my P8P virtually non-functional.

How have the fingerprint scanner and face ID functions worked for you? Both are maddeningly inconsistent on my P8P. The FPS performed so much better on my P7P. Anytime after dusk renders the face ID on my P8P virtually non-functional.

I hated the fingerprint sensor on the 6 Pro, 7 Pro, and 8 Pro. Always 50/50 on working at best.

The S24 Ultra has literally worked perfect. Never once not worked. And it's instant, I tap the screen, and in a blink of an eye I'm in the homescreen. And it's so smooth and FAST.

The Face ID feature on non-iPhones seems to be easily tricked based on what others have reported. So I don't use it. I haven't had problems with fingerprint sensors on P6P, P8P, Pixel Fold, various Samsung devices (including S24+ and Z Fold 4), and some others. Other than some initial problems with the P6P (iirc) that were resolved with a software update. I do usually enroll my preferred finger twice after the screen protector is installed.

Perhaps I have an "easy" fingerprint. Or I'm getting lethargic as the years go by, and give the scanner plenty of time to do its thing.

I figured out why I'm so mesmerized by the screen on the ultra. Its the shape of the display. The last phone I had with a rectangular screen was a ZTE Azon 7. I didn't have it long due to connectivity issues, but the big rectangular screen was beautiful. After it everything had curved or rounded edge screens for many many years. Now, I hold it against my OP7 Pro and while both phones are the same physical size and at medium brightness its hard to tell the quality apart, the big rectangle is just so much nicer to look at.

Someone posted this comment on another forum;

" I have all 3 in front of me, pixel8pro, iphone15pm, s24u...... I'm gonna send the p8pro back. I used to really prefer the stock OS back in the pixel3/4 days but then samsung gui was trash. Now I think it's the other way around and really love oneui + goodlock etc. "

I am of the same opinion, big Nexus and Pixel guy, hated Touchjizz / Lagwiz back in the day. But I will eat crow, I cannot believe it, but the S24 Ultra with OneUI 6.1 I will say is better than stock Android on the P8P. It's been streamlined and way more minimal than the old Touchwizz days, and now not far off from the Pixel UI, but just with way more customization and deeper settings which I'm a big fan. Plus the hardware and non glossy display are just much better on the S24U.

Last edited:
Someone posted this comment on another forum;

" I have all 3 in front of me, pixel8pro, iphone15pm, s24u...... I'm gonna send the p8pro back. I used to really prefer the stock OS back in the pixel3/4 days but then samsung gui was trash. Now I think it's the other way around and really love oneui + goodlock etc. "
meh ppl justifying an expensive purchase... but what ever makes this person happy is all that matters. we need to stop seeking approval from random ppl.

meh ppl justifying an expensive purchase... but what ever makes this person happy is all that matters. we need to stop seeking approval from random ppl.

I'm not justifying it, just saying I am very surprised that Samsung with OneUI 6.1 made such leaps and bounds a better UI than the old days, and it's on par and actually better than the Pixel UI now which I never expected in a million years.

I would say Scamdung / Samesuck phones running Lagwizz were the worst with the bloatware and laggy UI looking and running like an old Windows 95 PC. But they've made a massive leap and changed it for the better.

Picked up the Ringke matte clear case;

Attachments

• PXL_20240216_013352425.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20240216_013352425.PORTRAIT.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240216_013427382.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20240216_013427382.PORTRAIT.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240216_013441078.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    PXL_20240216_013441078.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240216_013916785.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    PXL_20240216_013916785.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    407.3 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240216_013858132.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    PXL_20240216_013858132.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    467.2 KB · Views: 0
My Titanium Yellow S24U will be here tomorrow. Already bought a case and screen protector. I never buy them unless I'm certain to keep the phone, so count me as all in on the S24U!

Caseology Athlex
Uyiton Tempered Glass

Fuck off to my Pixel 8 Pro!! :mad::arghh::punch:

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
My Titanium Yellow S24U will be here tomorrow. Already bought a case and screen protector. I never buy them unless I'm certain to keep the phone, so count me as all in on the S24U!

Caseology Athlex
Uyiton Tempered Glass

Fuck off to my Pixel 8 Pro!! :mad::arghh::punch:

Very exciting 😄

Download and install GoodLock and it's mods for extra deep customization and theming.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Been using this phone for a few days along with the buds2 pro and I have to say its a really good phone. Battery life is excellent. Its substantially faster than the S21. Reception is better. Lots of options to tweak (almost too many IMO). Screen is...big. I have dual sims in mine, 1 esim with T-Mobile and 1 physical with Verizon so I'm always grateful that's an option. I am really enjoying the way the OS integrates with the Buds2. I hate to admit it, I really like not having to charge the headphones after each use. I thought having the case do the charging was a gimmick but its so convenient. Last night I was sitting on the couch looking at the case and I realized, the case can charge from the phone through power share. Mind blown.

Speaking of tweaks. I didnt realize you could turn off fast charging so I did that in an effort to preserve the battery. I'm not a heavy user and only charge at night so I have no need for fast charging during waking hours. I wish I realized this was possible with my S21 because my guess is thats why the battery turned to crap after 2 years.

As an aside, you really cant appreciate having a phone thats yours until you had one with a company MDM (mobile device manager). The company says it doesn't get in the way, but the extra security ruins it just enough to be annoying. For example, having to enter the password at the most random times and then having to change it every 90 days.

Last edited:
For now settled on this homescreen design;

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240216_105225_One UI Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20240216_105225_One UI Home.jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 0
Back