Ryzen USB 3.1 stopped working?

dgingeri

2[H]4U
Anyone else have a case where their USB 3.1 stopped working after a recent Windows 10 update? Mine suddenly quit working after I rebooted from a Windows 10 update. (Asus Prime X370-Pro) I believe it is software, as the devices for the USB 3.1 controller and root hub show up, but devices plugged into it don't. However, it could be coincidence. My USB 3.0 and 2.0 work just fine.

Maybe reinstall the chipset drivers? I don't have any usb3.1 devices to check myself.

Might have tripped an internal fuse or similar, some boards have those to protect ports. Try powering off and unplugging completely for a minute, sometimes that will reset them.

KB4090913 was issued to fix the USB issue in Windows 10, not sure if that's your issue.

• Addresses issue where some USB devices and onboard devices, such as a built-in laptop camera, keyboard, or mouse, stop working. This may occur when the Windows Update servicing stack incorrectly skips installing the newer version of some critical drivers in the cumulative update and uninstalls the currently active drivers during maintenance.

KB4090913 was issued to fix the USB issue in Windows 10, not sure if that's your issue.

• Addresses issue where some USB devices and onboard devices, such as a built-in laptop camera, keyboard, or mouse, stop working. This may occur when the Windows Update servicing stack incorrectly skips installing the newer version of some critical drivers in the cumulative update and uninstalls the currently active drivers during maintenance.
hmmm... could be. I have run an uninstall and reinstall on the X370 driver package, updating to the latest in the process, and the only things I've tried to hook to those ports have been USB hard drives that operate properly on the USB 3.0 ports, but I suppose it could be a driver issue. I'll try this update when I get home. I'll also try a full power cycle, as mentioned by Aluminum

uninstall usb driver / bios disable / reboot / enable usb - all ports / bootup / install chipset driver. Drivers may install automatically depending on your driver patching setup. Reset BIOS is the last idea I have if that doesn't work..

uninstall usb driver / bios disable / reboot / enable usb - all ports / bootup / install chipset driver. Drivers may install automatically depending on your driver patching setup. Reset BIOS is the last idea I have if that doesn't work..

I can't disable the AMD USB 3.1 controller from the bios. I can disable the ports themselves, but not the controller.

I tried this last night: uninstall AMD driver package, power down machine completely including the power switch on the power supply, left powered off for over 15 minutes (while fixing dinner), powered back up, reinstalled 18.10 AMD driver package. The USB controller appeared as before, even showing the root hub complex, but still would not recognize any devices hooked to it.

I had already decided to replace the processor when the new series comes out in April. This is just convincing me to replace the motherboard as well. I will disclose this issue when I sell the board and CPU later.

Anyone want to buy a Ryzen 7 1700X that only overclocks to 3.7GHz and an Asus Prime X370-Pro motherboard that doesn't allow use of the USB 3.1 ports sometime in April? I think $250 would be a fair price for it.

Seriously considering getting a 8700k instead. This Ryzen has been trouble for a while, and I'm not sure a 2700X and a X470 board would give me any real advantage over a 8700k. What do you think?

Engage Asus, possible RMA. USB Drivers Version 1.16.50.1 is the current came out 2018/03/06

Are you sure u have the latest everything - bios / drivers / OS patches?

worked before update? try a reload on another drive to rule out hardware. if it works then wait for driver/os updates to fix it.

Back