[Rumour] PS5 Pro dev kit prototypes will be going to 1st party developers within the next couple of months

On my way to build a PC so I'll probably keep the "fat" PS5 that I have now.

Sony PlayStation 5 Pro: Third-Party Publisher Reportedly Received Specs for the Upcoming Console; Here Is the Speculated PS5 Pro Price​

Analysts are confident that the PS5 Pro is releasing in 2024.

https://in.ign.com/india/202840/new...tedly-received-specs-for-the-upcoming-console

YouTuber and analyst Colin Moriarty claimed in a recent episode of the Sacred Symbols podcast that third-party publishers are receiving a presentation for PS5 Pro, signalling that the release date for PS5 Pro is not far away down the road. He also added that first-parties and second-parties (publishers) have also been given access to the specifications of the PS5 Pro but could not verify if the publishers have also received developer kits for the PS5 Pro.

Moriarty’s reveal was in relation to the recent report from CNBC that claimed that the PS5 Pro will come out in 2024, and he believes that the report will turn out to be true. The report claimed that Sony wants to release a “souped-up” refresh for the PS5 ahead of the release of Grand Theft Auto in 2025, which is one of the most anticipated titles in recent history.

Analysts Dustin Furman and Chris Ray Gun were also part of the podcast, where Furman said he is “confident” that the PS5 Pro will come out in 2024. As for Gun, he spoke about the price point that Sony might opt for the PS5 Pro. Gun believes that Sony might choose a launch price of $599, which is $100 more than the current PS5 Slim disc version that goes for $499.

I don't necessarily think there's a ton of need for it, but I suppose it depends on what it's bringing to the table. 120FPS is pretty awesome when properly supported, so there's that. There's a lot of talk about some exclusive upscaling tech that won't be available on the normal models.

I sold my regular PS4 to partially finance a PS4 Pro and it only cost me an additional $150. I might just do that again for the hell of it.

I don't see the need for it. Unless every game receives an update for 120 FPS and/or unlocked FPS modes then a Pro model doesn't make sense.

I don't see the need for it. Unless every game receives an update for 120 FPS and/or unlocked FPS modes then a Pro model doesn't make sense.
Agreed.

I got the ps4 pro when it came out, i didnt have a ps4 previously. I remember having a pain of a time getting it to work with my 4k tv and sony was slow at fixing that.

Also don't think it was really that much different than a regular ps4, anything online play was server fps locked or limited by update ticks anyways.

I wonder if they just spend a little extra money to move older inventory faster and get back in the media attention again. New console release even if a small change will move units and games around holidays.

Agreed.

I got the ps4 pro when it came out, i didnt have a ps4 previously. I remember having a pain of a time getting it to work with my 4k tv and sony was slow at fixing that.

Also don't think it was really that much different than a regular ps4, anything online play was server fps locked or limited by update ticks anyways.

I wonder if they just spend a little extra money to move older inventory faster and get back in the media attention again. New console release even if a small change will move units and games around holidays.
The PS4 Pro showed noticeable improvements in quite a few games, often by virtue of simply allowing a higher dynamic resolution to hit performance targets in games that didn't have a fixed resolution target, combined with the low starting resolution. That really isn't an issue on the PS5. I'd settle for unlocked framerate in ray tracing mode, but we'll have to wait and see what developers will actually do with the upgrade IF it's real.

The PS4 Pro allowed for 4K which the PS4/Slim could only output 1080p, would allow for higher resolution textures/effects due to the increase unified RAM, and allowed for more consistent locked frame rates.

I'm passing on it too. However I do play a ton of games. I think the idea of the ps5's unfinished games puts me off.
About every title I was excited for on the PS5 either got canceled or a PC release, so... I guess my next one will be the FF7 Remake part 2 whatever it's called.

I'm passing on it too. However I do play a ton of games. I think the idea of the ps5's unfinished games puts me off.
At $500 for the Blu-Ray model, it's just not worth buying a PS5, especially when you consider that most exclusive Playstation titles are now on PC. Linus was able to build a $500 gaming PC that surpasses the PS5 in performance. The PS5 is long overdue for a price decrease, which is odd when Sony has been increasing the price of the PS5 all over the world. The PS5 Pro should be the new $500 with the older maybe slimmer models being $400 and under, I mean that with the Blu-Ray drive.

View: https://youtu.be/LfpXMuMvcWQ?si=jsFyGfs_cSY47zNb

At $500 for the Blu-Ray model, it's just not worth buying a PS5, especially when you consider that most exclusive Playstation titles are now on PC. Linus was able to build a $500 gaming PC that surpasses the PS5 in performance. The PS5 is long overdue for a price decrease, which is odd when Sony has been increasing the price of the PS5 all over the world. The PS5 Pro should be the new $500 with the older maybe slimmer models being $400 and under, I mean that with the Blu-Ray drive.

I tried clicking through it to find the important bits. They did it on $500 using used components from “bargain hunting sites” which they teach you how to use in a different video… you know, so you don’t get scammed…

I tried clicking through it to find the important bits. They did it on $500 using used components from “bargain hunting sites” which they teach you how to use in a different video… you know, so you don’t get scammed…
You would only be able to build a PS5 equivalent/slightly better, complete PC, if someone gave you super best friend pricing.

And remember, PS5 comes with a nice controller which costs $50 on sale. So, $15 mice and keyboard sets don't count ;)

$500? Why didn't you count the monthly fees that are required nowadays?

I've had a PS3 since 2010, which now reached the end of it's lifecycle this christmas when Battlefield servers were shut down.

If it had these current mandatory subscription fees, the total price would be:
$500 + ($9,99 * 12 * 13) = $2058.44

I've had a PS3 since 2010, which now reached the end of it's lifecycle this christmas when Battlefield servers were shut down.

ive had my ps4 pro since release, so 2016? I havent paid any psn monthly fees and i can still access and download games. I get what you are saying, but it is usage specific so costs are different for different people. over 13 years ive spent more than that in drinks and snacks while playing :p

ive had my ps4 pro since release, so 2016? I havent paid any psn monthly fees and i can still access and download games. I get what you are saying, but it is usage specific so costs are different for different people. over 13 years ive spent more than that in drinks and snacks while playing :p
haha, same. 🍻
As much as we rag on Sony for their issues, mandatory subscriptions fees are more of an option than a mandate, unlike Microsoft's consoles.

Maybe the Battlefield game you are playing went EOL, but the PS3 certainly and amazingly has not.
Sony even just released the latest patch for the PS3 system software, 4.91, on February 27 - now that is longevity!

Last edited:
You would only be able to build a PS5 equivalent/slightly better, complete PC, if someone gave you super best friend pricing.

And remember, PS5 comes with a nice controller which costs $50 on sale. So, $15 mice and keyboard sets don't count ;)
That’s half my point, the other half is the video is primarily an advertisement for a different video which is itself an advertisement for some sketchy “bargain hunting” app.

haha, same. 🍻
As much as we rag on Sony for their issues, mandatory subscriptions fees are more of an option than a mandate, unlike Microsoft's consoles.

Maybe the Battlefield game you are playing went EOL, but the PS3 certainly and amazingly has not.
Sony even just released the latest patch for the PS3 system software, 4.91, on February 27 - now that is longevity!
Well I mostly play multiplayer shooters such as Battlefield. Therefore the subscription fees on PS5 are not an option, it's 100% forced.

Well I mostly play multiplayer shooters such as Battlefield. Therefore the subscription fees on PS5 are not an option, it's 100% forced.
Is that Sony pushing those fees, or the game publishers?

It wasn't lost to me because it's something you can do with PC. You can buy used parts to build a cheaper better PC. Also, who says it's just PC users who get scammed when there's people buying used or Ebay PS5's? Like during COVID when the only way to get a PS5 was through Ebay for a marked up price? If you wanted to build the equivalent of a PS5 with new parts it's $600. You know what else is $600? Besides a PS3 in 2007 money, but also a PS5 disc version. The Digital only PS5 is now $450, if you're lucky. I don't think even Americans can buy a disc PS5 for $500 anymore.

View: https://youtu.be/B5t2tJvYioc?si=GS_Ytfaa7A67bZZf

The keyboard and mice counts because it is the definitive way to play PC games. If you want a nice controller then get a PS4 clone for $20 because all controllers work on PC. Xbox Series X/S clone is $26.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 R2.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($78.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: Silicon Power GAMING 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($34.97 @ Amazon)
Storage: Kingston NV2 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($61.70 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 6600 8 GB Video Card ($184.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Smart 500 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.95 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Logitech K120 Wired Standard Keyboard ($12.49 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech M90 Wired Optical Mouse ($6.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $595.05
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-03-01 02:17 EST-0500

I don't need to go that far to prove my point, which is that the PS5 should be cheaper if Sony plans to introduce a PS5 Pro. I can't even find a PS5 for MSRP, let alone for a cheaper price. Sounds like good business for Sony, but also really good business opportunity for PC adoption. You know what else is cheaper than a PS5 and comes with a controller? The Steam Deck which the 512GB OLED can be had for $550. If that's too much then Valve also has a $350 and $399 version as well. It's not as fast as a PS5, but it'll play all the Playstation ported PC games on the go and then some. Unlike the PS5 it doesn't prevent you from side loading, and doesn't charge a monthly fee to play games online. Sony needs to lower the price of the PS5 because the PC has cheaper alternatives.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It wasn't lost to me because it's something you can do with PC. You can buy used parts to build a cheaper better PC. Also, who says it's just PC users who get scammed when there's people buying used or Ebay PS5's? Like during COVID when the only way to get a PS5 was through Ebay for a marked up price? If you wanted to build the equivalent of a PS5 with new parts it's $600. You know what else is $600? Besides a PS3 in 2007 money, but also a PS5 disc version. The Digital only PS5 is now $450, if you're lucky. I don't think even Americans can buy a disc PS5 for $500 anymore.

The keyboard and mice counts because it is the definitive way to play PC games. If you want a nice controller then get a PS4 clone for $20 because all controllers work on PC. Xbox Series X/S clone is $26.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Silicon Power GAMING 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($34.97 @ Amazon)
Storage: Kingston NV2 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($61.70 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 6600 8 GB Video Card ($184.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Smart 500 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.95 @ Amazon)

I don't need to go that far to prove my point, which is that the PS5 should be cheaper if Sony plans to introduce a PS5 Pro. I can't even find a PS5 for MSRP, let alone for a cheaper price. Sounds like good business for Sony, but also really good business opportunity for PC adoption. You know what else is cheaper than a PS5 and comes with a controller? The Steam Deck which the 512GB OLED can be had for $550. If that's too much then Valve also has a $350 and $399 version as well. It's not as fast as a PS5, but it'll play all the Playstation ported PC games on the go and then some. Unlike the PS5 it doesn't prevent you from side loading, and doesn't charge a monthly fee to play games online. Sony needs to lower the price of the PS5 because the PC has cheaper alternatives.

PS5 with disc drive, is $500. You picked a scalper listing, for the original SKU.
https://www.amazon.com/PlayStation®5-Digital-slim-PlayStation-5/dp/B0CL61F39H/ref=sr_1_3?crid=V6AWEXU3IIPH&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.DN24o4RYS97v_6zyZZGG7XZQJGrDH4k-rXJ5isBr3yW5kXMqrEu5RR_h0z1-_HtYUkgBIZiPbPJFhy8dWQmB4xaoJYgTwRJWyNEAUFDsIZjmKJfxJhFS4BbBkwGXQWpcQpnKnBFp72boID4MYDh7yv8g758BwVjAWL4CW9JmZ5QbxhgjueXOsXJwbU2Kapd-3p9ylJX-_HkZQaAyonhuDymcBuISfgqUNNuFquSWUHk.0bLMF0kf156jl4nLzeQZOO1eyCupWLtEjbASnQrDdCs&dib_tag=se&keywords=ps5+console&qid=1709280749&sprefix=ps5+console,aps,148&sr=8-3&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.c3015c4a-46bb-44b9-81a4-dc28e6d374b3&th=1

And the digital version at $450 isn't "lucky". Its normal.
https://www.amazon.com/PlayStation®5-Digital-slim-PlayStation-5/dp/B0CL5KNB9M/ref=sr_1_3?crid=V6AWEXU3IIPH&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.DN24o4RYS97v_6zyZZGG7XZQJGrDH4k-rXJ5isBr3yW5kXMqrEu5RR_h0z1-_HtYUkgBIZiPbPJFhy8dWQmB4xaoJYgTwRJWyNEAUFDsIZjmKJfxJhFS4BbBkwGXQWpcQpnKnBFp72boID4MYDh7yv8g758BwVjAWL4CW9JmZ5QbxhgjueXOsXJwbU2Kapd-3p9ylJX-_HkZQaAyonhuDymcBuISfgqUNNuFquSWUHk.0bLMF0kf156jl4nLzeQZOO1eyCupWLtEjbASnQrDdCs&dib_tag=se&keywords=ps5+console&qid=1709280749&sprefix=ps5+console,aps,148&sr=8-3&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.c3015c4a-46bb-44b9-81a4-dc28e6d374b3&th=1
The keyboard and mice counts because it is the definitive way to play PC games.

My point is, the PS5 comes with a nice peripheral to play its games. So if someone is going to talk about buying a PC for cost comparison, you gotta buy a legit decent mouse and keyboard. Cheap mice often have a lot of deviation, actively affecting the precision of your aim and movement. Mice with decent - good deviation, typically start around $30.
MSRP of the black and white Dualsense is $69.99. And a couple of times per year they go on sale for about $50.

Personally, I would put more of that money into a good mouse, than trying to even split for a better keyboard. As there aren't nearly as notable drawbacks for basic, low cost keyboards. In terms of gaming and input performance.

That said, if we allot the full MSRP of a dual sense, for mouse and keyboard: you could get some great shit, at the right times. But that's also referencing back to my quote of "super best friend" pricing (and/or especially good deals at retail) Vs everyday pricing of a PS5. Back in September I got a Razer 8khz for $39.98
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08QVM2JMQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

And this mechanical keyboard for $30, and I love it. It even has stable, working bluetooth (also supports wired and 2.4ghz). Which seems to be a problem of many mechanical keyboards.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C68J71TN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Due to especially good deals, I was able to not have any compromise, for the same price as a Dual Sense at MSRP. However, if the mouse and keyboard were both MSRP----it would have been $80 for the mouse and $60 for the keyboard.

Last edited:

PCPartPicker Part List

P.S. The RX6600 is at least 2 product rungs lower than the GPU in the PS5.

RX 6600 --> RX 6600 XT/6650 XT/RX 7600 ---> RX 6700

The closest PC GPU to the one in the PS5's APU, is the RX 6700 (non-XT). On paper, it has a lot of the same specs. And some specs which are a little worse on the PS5. Overall the PS5 has, on paper, less FLOPs.

And Digital Foundry's experience was overall, inconsistent. There were times when the PS5 experience was better. Times when it was worse. And times when it was a wash. Unsurprising in my opinion, because the PS5 is a highly customized APU. Major aspects of the PS5 architecture are not reproduced in PC builds.

The RX 6700 looks to be discontinued, however. It spent most of the latter part of its life between about $330 and $280.

***dang, another problem with your build, is that it lacks PCI-E 4.0 support in the motherboard and a Gen4 SSD with at least ~5500 read speed.

To offset that cost, you could switch to a Zen 2 Ryzen 3600. The PS5 CPU is an 8 core Zen 2. But, clocked really low and something like 1/3 of the cache size. Ryzen 3600 should still be better in the majority of situations. Although, again, DF found inconsistent results.
****Actually, the DF video tested the RX 6700 with a 13900k, hahaha.

"All PC parts tested on a Core i9 13900K-based system with 32GB of 6000MHz DDR5."

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuLHRbalyGs

Last edited:

I can't believe you're willing to pay s subscription just for Battlefield.

I can't believe you're willing to pay s subscription just for Battlefield.
That's why I likely won't get a PS5 to replace my PS3. I just can't stand the idea of being ripped extra 1500 dollars with subscriptions to just get access to a game I own. Lol.

Consoles are for dirty rich people only it seems these days.

Where the hell are you getting a extra $1500 from to play online? Some of you people are intentionally skewing the facts to just make the PS5 look like garbage.

It is only $80 for a year. That is nearly 20 years before you get to $1500.
Said $9.99/month on Sony website.

Still doesn't change the situation; at $80/year I would've been ripped $1040 just for access rights to Battlefield. $1360 if I had bought the PS3 closer to release instead of 2010.

Still doesn't change the situation; at $80/year I would've been ripped $1040 just for access rights to Battlefield. $1360 if I had bought the PS3 closer to release instead of 2010.
Online was also free with the PS3. They didn't start charging a monthly fee til the PS4.

I also dont think its fair to compare used parts to new. Yes it is an option of course but shouldnt it also be fair to compare the price of a used ps5? Gamestop has them for $408 if you are a member $430 if not and shows in stock. Which honestly is tempting now, i do like them as simple couch multiplayer gaming sessions myself, already have a gaming pc for wife and for me.

edit: fixed for pre-coffee engrish

Last edited:
I also dont think its fair to compared used parts compared to new. Yes it is an option of course but shouldnt it also be fair to compare the price of a used ps5? Gamestop has them for $408 if you are a member $430 if not and shows in stock. Which honestly is tempting now, i do like them as simple couch mulitplayer gaming sessions myself, already have a gaming pc for wife and for me.
It is not a fair comparison at all. The average person is not capable or willing to build their own computer let alone spend so much time trying to hunt down deals and used parts.

It is not a fair comparison at all. The average person is not capable or willing to build their own computer let alone spend so much time trying to hunt down deals and used parts.
That is very true. Plug in a ps5 and answer a couple questions it walks you through and it is good to go. There is value in simplicity/ease of use.

As with many services, its cheaper if you buy larger chunks of time, at once. Sony offers 1 month, 3 month, and 12 month.
You also get free games and extra discounts. From 2010 to 2019, PS+ gave out over 600 games.
Online was also free with the PS3. They didn't start charging a monthly fee til the PS4.

Yeah. They just pulled a fee out of their ass to see if people would be stupid enough to pay; and they were.
Sony copied Xbox, which had been charging for online, I believe since Halo 2 on original Xbox. If not, then definitely since the launch of Xbox 360.

360 was a huge success. Sony would have been stupid to not adopt a similar pay model.

**Please understand that despite my countering comments against the quoted posts, I don't like that we have to pay to simply play online.**

PS5 with disc drive, is $500. You picked a scalper listing, for the original SKU.
When I searched I didn't find that one. Searching now and not only I still can't find that one but by the second page Amazon started to recommend the Switch and by the third page there was no consoles to be found. Walmart does have the console for $500. What the hell Amazon?
And the digital version at $450 isn't "lucky". Its normal.
That's not worth it.
My point is, the PS5 comes with a nice peripheral to play its games. So if someone is going to talk about buying a PC for cost comparison, you gotta buy a legit decent mouse and keyboard. Cheap mice often have a lot of deviation, actively affecting the precision of your aim and movement. Mice with decent - good deviation, typically start around $30.
MSRP of the black and white Dualsense is $69.99. And a couple of times per year they go on sale for about $50.
You aren't going to compare a controller to a keyboard and mouse of any kind. You want to argue quality which... sure it's not the same level of quality. I choose Logitech devices because you generally can't go wrong with them. But a user with a $70 DualSense controller vs a $10 Logitech Mouse with a $10 Logitech Keyboard will still lose in 90% of games against a KB+mouse user. It's so bad that in order for gamepad users to compete against KB+mouse users they need aim assist, which is so good that KB+mouse users started to take advantage of this by faking they have a gamepad.
Personally, I would put more of that money into a good mouse, than trying to even split for a better keyboard. As there aren't nearly as notable drawbacks for basic, low cost keyboards. In terms of gaming and input performance.
Any keyboard will do unless you are actually capable of typing. If you type with your index finger like this, then a mechanical keyboard is lost to you. For something like WASD gaming, then pretty much any keyboard will do.
f073690f9b508d27d1d9e5f95354d4c4.gif

That said, if we allot the full MSRP of a dual sense, for mouse and keyboard: you could get some great shit, at the right times. But that's also referencing back to my quote of "super best friend" pricing (and/or especially good deals at retail) Vs everyday pricing of a PS5. Back in September I got a Razer 8khz for $39.98
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08QVM2JMQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
Linus had a video about this and recommends the Razer DeathAdder Essential Gaming Mouse: 6400 DPI for $25.

View: https://youtu.be/ivRL-fs3RQo?si=vOcGHFaR-_Pt8Q-s
And this mechanical keyboard for $30, and I love it. It even has stable, working bluetooth (also supports wired and 2.4ghz). Which seems to be a problem of many mechanical keyboards.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C68J71TN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Linus recommend this Redragon Mechanical Gaming Keyboard for $30 which I actually own. It's a really good keyboard.
Due to especially good deals, I was able to not have any compromise, for the same price as a Dual Sense at MSRP. However, if the mouse and keyboard were both MSRP----it would have been $80 for the mouse and $60 for the keyboard.
MSRP doesn't matter much for PC because it's not like all your old peripherals went in the trash because you bought a new PC. You have a lot to choose from. If you want a gamepad then you can use a PS3 Dualshock 3 controller. You can use nearly anything you want, new or used. Doesn't have to be from Sony and Microsoft either.

Back