Rumor: 7.85" 1024x768 iPad in Q3

There is room in the market for a beefier Mac mini, with a desktop processor and / or a discrete GPU (like the 6750M on the 15in Macbook Pro). As Apple gets its feet deeper into gaming with iOS devices, I suspect they might start to feel internal and external pressure to release something like this.

It's unlikely.

If they use the same resolution as the 9.7 inch iPad, and it runs iPad apps, then some elements of the UI that are just above the threshold of being too small, will now be roughly thirty percent smaller, become too difficult to touch, and especially to touch accurately.

If they opt for a different resolution, then we'll either need to make a whole new category for "iPad Mini" apps, which is... undesirable.

It's also probably going to draw sales away from the 9.7 inch iPad more than it does bring new customers. I mean how many people absolutely refuse to buy a 9.7 inch iPad but will buy a 7 inch model? In my opinion, very few.

I'm not dismissing the benefits of a 7 inch iPad here, I'm sure it'll be much more portable, but I don't see it happening.

I'm coming around to the idea that this will happen in the not-too-distant future, considering the current lineup. I think it's just a matter of when we're going to see Apple introduce a smaller, lower-cost iPad with fewer features than the top-of-the-line iPad. At some point they will be required to expand upon what we currently believe the iPad is all about and push more toward PC independence: a device that isn't a PC, is mostly a walled garden ecosystem but has some capabilities currently exclusive to PCs. Greater connectivity with peripherals and greater software capabilities (including basic file system access) are likely for a possible "iPad Pro".

If it doesn't happen within the next two years, I'll be genuinely surprised.

I could see a device like this sold at a somewhat lower price point and targeting the e-book readers. It could sync well with Apple's push into book publication.

Still not buying it. If a Samsung "official" is letting the cat out of bag for products from companies he is supplying parts for, he showing his company, to be untrustworthy as suppliers.

Now some low level flunky saying this stuff (inaccurately): sure.

I really think 7.85 inches is really a poor size. It still ends up being a two handed device, still ends up costing nearly as much as an iPad, still won't fit in a pocket. Marginal benefit over an ipad, for the loss of screen size. Especially when you throw in that it starts shrinking touch targets too small at standard iPad resolution, or requiring an all new set of design rules.

I think what Apple need more is something in the 4"-6" range. Like a bigger iPod touch. That is a one handed device, is much cheaper, does fit in a pocket, and can just be an upsized Touch resolution, so bigger targets instead of too small targets.

4" is only slightly larger than the iPhone/iPod touch display, 5" is pushing the limit of pocket-ability and a 6" device would only fit in the pocket of JNCOs (or whatever). There isn't really anything interesting you could do in that size range.

4" is only slightly larger than the iPhone/iPod touch display, 5" is pushing the limit of pocket-ability and a 6" device would only fit in the pocket of JNCOs (or whatever). There isn't really anything interesting you could do in that size range.

I think you need to check your assertions.

4" is significant step up on 3.5" (7.38-5.65)/5.65 = 30% increase in area. Though I consider this the bare minimum for any device I would purchase. I have played with the iPhone/touch and I find the screen just too tiny for web surfing and even as an e-reader it is too small for me (I own a 5" dedicated ereader).

Also I am suggesting a big iPod touch, not a small iPad, so with negligible side bezels, even a 6" 3:2 screen, would be less than 4" in width (3.3" screen + .5" bezel = 3.8") and fit in most pockets, even business shirt pockets.

I gave a range, but my preferred size would be ~5". I think this size is easily pocket-able, and offers a much more useful web/reader experience.

Again, not claiming it as alternative sizing for an iPad, but something that offers a more portable, one handed, lighter ereader, and significantly less expensive device.

I really don't see the point at all for a slightly shrunken (7.85") iPad that really doesn't improve anything but weight. It remains an expensive, un-pocketable, two handed device, with potential fragmentation issues. You may as well spend the extra $100 and get a real iPad....

I"ll believe it when I see it, but I would like something in this size. It would be a good replacement for my 7" Galaxy Tab, that I still use a lot because of its portability vs. larger tablets.

But we'll see, I give this one about a 10% chance of happening. If it does the price point will be more like 399 instead of the 299.

I really don't see the point at all for a slightly shrunken (7.85") iPad that really doesn't improve anything but weight. It remains an expensive, un-pocketable, two handed device, with potential fragmentation issues. You may as well spend the extra $100 and get a real iPad....

The big ipad is too large for reading in bed most of the time, especially if you lay on your side. It's bulky/awkward and worse than reading a >500 page hardcover.

Yeah, no real surprise, they need to compete better on price against the Fire and Nexus.

Yeah, I've changed my tune. We're definitely going to see a 7 inch iPad soon, it's a more suitable reader.

And that makes me interested personally.

a 10" tablet is too large for my personal tastes, a ~7-8ish inch tablet is about right for me.

I've used an ipad and a kindle fire. The fire was the better size for what I expect my usage will be.

That said, I'm weird. If Apple released an iphone that was larger then the current one, I would seriously consider not upgrading. I don't get the "bigger screen" crap, it's a PHONE, it's supposed to fit in your pocket.

The 'rumored' 4" screen that increases length/decreases bezel, keeping it in nearly the same form factor is the only exception to that. Anything bigger is too big IMO, and it seriously reduces it's usage as a pocketable device.

But a ~7-8 inch ipad, I would be interested in. Replacement for my generation 1 Nook, and of a form factor I like for portabilities sake.

Er… you have bothered to look at actual sales numbers, right?

Yes, and again, Apple needs a cheaper and smaller device to compete with the Fire and Nexus regardless of how many iPads they are selling now unless they simply have no interest in that market. Apparently they do.

Apple has interest in numerous markets. That doesn't mean they'll be entering into those markets.

If Apple is going to make and sell a smaller, cheaper iPad then by definition they would be entering the smaller, cheaper tablet market.

The key word here being "if". I don't doubt that Apple has an interest in entering that market — what is not clear is whether they are indeed going to. They certainly don't need to enter into that space, as Terpfen more than plainly pointed out earlier.

If Apple is going to make and sell a smaller, cheaper iPad then by definition they would be entering the smaller, cheaper tablet market.

Silly, no they aren't....

They are inventing a new iPad market, how dare you imply the iPad is merely a tablet. ;)

Certain this is happening. I don't know about '7.85' specifically, but in the 7 inch range, sure. Those of you thinking there would be no interest in such a device are mistaken. The ~$200 category has tremendous interest from people like myself that simply won't spend $500 on a tablet. The Kindle Fire and Nook prove there is a ready market for such devices.

Although lets be very honest: Google/Asus look to be the current 7inch price/performance leader with the incredibly capable Nexus 7 starting at $200/8gig. I don't see Apple doing a 7inch tablet at 8gig for less than $250-$300.

This will also certainly NOT be a retina screen, as it would easily cannibalize the iPad 3 market.

The key word here being "if". I don't doubt that Apple has an interest in entering that market — what is not clear is whether they are indeed going to. They certainly don't need to enter into that space, as Terpfen more than plainly pointed out earlier.

Not sure why some Apple fans get bent out of shape over this. It would seem a very logical step to expand the iPad line and get cheaper devices into the market and expand the appeal of the iPad to more consumers with more price points and sizes. Its as thought some Apple fans don't want Apple to make a smaller, cheaper iPad.

Fascinating.

Not sure how anyone who has used an iPad 3 would be able to tolerate a non-retina, high-ppi screen, regardless of form factor.

Not sure how anyone who has used an iPad 3 would be able to tolerate a non-retina, high-ppi screen, regardless of form factor.

Well this should be a substantially cheaper, smaller and lighter device with a higher DPI than the iPad 1 or 2.

The term "retina" is rather nebulous. The perception would be based on a combination of pixel size and typical viewing distance. Assuming it is in the rumored range, then it would about the same pixel pitch as the 1st - 3rd generation iPhones (if you consider the 3G as a generation, which there is some debate). When I hold my 1st Generation iPhone 12 - 14 inches from my eyes, I really do not perceive the pixels.

Now when I go back to the 1G iPad - from a 3rd Generation iPad, then sure, its quite noticeable.

I reckon they will release the iPad mini (they did it with the iPod). There's a fair gap between the existing iPad and phones (7" is ~4x the size of a phones screen). One size doesn't fit all.

Yes, and again, Apple needs a cheaper and smaller device to compete with the Fire and Nexus…

No, they don't.

Not sure why some Apple fans get bent out of shape over this. It would seem a very logical step to expand the iPad line and get cheaper devices into the market and expand the appeal of the iPad to more consumers with more price points and sizes. Its as thought some Apple fans don't want Apple to make a smaller, cheaper iPad.

Or we dispute your backwards reasoning that the company that basically owns the market "needs" to compete with fringe devices.

Apple will not try and compete in the $199 price point (that would be silly); but they will in the 7" to 8" ecosystem. And, there is really NO competition w/ ios Apps (ask any android/ios app developer).

My prediction is a 7"-8" ipad, @ around $349.

I think there has been sufficient "supplier" rumors to substantiat that there will be a smaller iPad before the end of 2012.

Last edited:
Or we dispute your backwards reasoning that the company that basically owns the market "needs" to compete with fringe devices.

My backwards reasoning? Did I start this rumor? Do you know for a fact that Apple isn't making a smaller, cheaper iPad? And I always wonder why Apple fans invariably bring up things like fringe and market share when discussing iOS devices but almost never mention these things when discussing OS X devices.

Fascinating.

My backwards reasoning? Did I start this rumor?

What does you starting the rumor have to do with your opinion as to why Apple should take a specific course of action? You can believe Apple should make a smaller tablet without believing this rumor, or vice-versa.

Do you know for a fact that Apple isn't making a smaller, cheaper iPad?

Again, what does this have to do with anything in this thread? Whether or not Apple is making a smaller tablet has zero to do with the supporting arguments you personally posted as to why they should.

And I always wonder why Apple fans invariably bring up things like fringe and market share when discussing iOS devices but almost never mention these things when discussing OS X devices.

Fascinating.

At the risk of repeating myself, what does this have to do with anything here? Setting aside the fact that the tablet market is not the desktop market, what does OS X have to do with whether or not Apple "needs" to compete with the Kindle Fire? The basis of your opinion is that the Kindle Fire and the Nexus 7 must be competed with. This is backwards. Apple controls the tablet market to the point where it is more accurately described as the iPad market. The Kindle Fire is a low quality fringe product, and the Nexus 7 has done nothing (yet).

So why does the company that basically (re)created the market and controls it almost uniformly need to compete with products that have done nothing? It's true that Apple might sell a smaller iPad, but that has nothing to do with the specific topic here, which is your supporting reasoning as to why they should, and the disputing thereof.

Why does Apple "need" to compete with products that have made no noticeable or even appreciable dent into their sales figures?

Why does Apple "need" to compete with products that have made no noticeable or even appreciable dent into their sales figures?

So what you're saying is the forever and always Apple should just ignore competition until sales are effected? I think Apple is more proactive than this.

So what you're saying is the forever and always Apple should just ignore competition until sales are effected? I think Apple is more proactive than this.

I'm saying that the products in question are NOT competition. To compete, one must first move product at a rate that begins to make noticeable gains in share. The Kindle Fire and Nexus 7 have not accomplished that.

Thus, why does Apple need to compete with devices that aren't competing with its own products? The Nexus 7 intends to compete with the Kindle Fire, which itself is targeting an entirely different customer than the iPad. The Kindle Fire and iPad are not in competition, so why does Apple need to change that? The Kindle Fire is not going to eat the iPad's lunch. It's an inferior product even considering its target market. The Nexus 7 is a much better product and, if Google can pull its act together, should begin to make progress against the Kindle Fire. But neither one have anything to do with the iPad, despite what clickbait headlines will assert.

So, again. Why does Apple need to compete with devices that aren't competing with the iPad? Don't make vague allusions to future conditions without even threadbare supporting details. Be specific here.

I'm saying that the products in question are NOT competition. To compete, one must first move product at a rate that begins to make noticeable gains in share. The Kindle Fire and Nexus 7 have not accomplished that.

And at that point isn't a little too late? This rumor has been going on way too long and there's a lot to back it up now. I think it's a great thing if Apple is offering more choices and price points to its customers. For some reason that seems to bother you.

Fascinating.

Thus, why does Apple need to compete with devices that aren't competing with its own products? The Nexus 7 intends to compete with the Kindle Fire, which itself is targeting an entirely different customer than the iPad. The Kindle Fire and iPad are not in competition, so why does Apple need to change that? The Kindle Fire is not going to eat the iPad's lunch. It's an inferior product even considering its target market. The Nexus 7 is a much better product and, if Google can pull its act together, should begin to make progress against the Kindle Fire. But neither one have anything to do with the iPad, despite what clickbait headlines will assert.

So, again. Why does Apple need to compete with devices that aren't competing with the iPad? Don't make vague allusions to future conditions without even threadbare supporting details. Be specific here.

The Kindle was a puff of smoke, the Nexus will be I think a billowing mass of smoke - neither of them have the ability to overtake or dethrone the iPad. However, at some point, the "pretty good android tablets" will coalesce into a massive fire that will overtake Apple in the marketplace. Better to have an answer now than to look reactionary when the flames are lapping over the kingdom walls.

I think it's a great thing if Apple is offering more choices and price points to its customers. For some reason that seems to bother you.
A level of disbelief in an uncertain eventuality does not necessarily indicate concern for that eventuality. I don't believe in God; that does not mean I do not wish for God to exist.

So far, the only indication of concern over the rumor has been suggested by you.

Better to have an answer now than to look reactionary when the flames are lapping over the kingdom walls.
As I mentioned earlier, I don't think Apple is just sitting around waiting for something to happen. I suspect there is a smaller iPad already in development. The question is whether or not development on that project will be both A) completed and/or B) released. Some have valid doubts that such a product will ever come to fruition in the marketplace.

A level of disbelief in an uncertain eventuality does not necessarily indicate concern for that eventuality. I don't believe in God; that does not mean I do not wish for God to exist.

So far, the only indication of concern over the rumor has been suggested by you.

As I mentioned earlier, I don't think Apple is just sitting around waiting for something to happen. I suspect there is a smaller iPad already in development. The question is whether or not development on that project will be both A) completed and/or B) released. Some have valid doubts that such a product will ever come to fruition in the marketplace.

It would be unusual that the WSJ to run a story about this and be incorrect. The sources of the September - October iPad Mini/Micro/Nano chatter imply that Apple wants this to be known and for us follower to wait on any purchases until then.

This is not proof by any stretch. However, the stars are aligning of a release in the next 90 days. Still waiting on the the elevator shot to be sure though.

I've expressed not concern. I've simply said that I think it would be great for Apple to give it's customers more choice. And wouldn't also be great for Apple to offer an iPad that more people can afford?

Whatever the market realities are of the iPad why is it a bad thing to offer more and cheaper choices? If I did have a concern if would be that some Apple fans seem to arguing against that.

Back