RTX 4070 Ti SUPER PerfCap VRel Issue

sk3tch

2[H]4U
Hi guys. I've had two RTX 4070 Ti SUPER cards in the past two days - started with the MSI RTX 4070 Ti SUPER Gaming X Slim and ended up with what I have now - the ASUS TUF RTX 4070 Ti SUPER.

I initially bought the MSI as an open box so I thought when I got the PerfCap VRel results it was a bad card - but the brand new ASUS card has similar symptoms (although less stuttering in games - so maybe ultimately the MSI was bad - it failed MSI's OC Scanner with default (just power maxed)). I have Googled for this and there really are not many conversations about this for this card. Which is strange because you will literally get PerfCap issues just using it within the OS (whether it's Pwr or VRel). So - it just seems to be the behavior of the card. Anyone else seeing this??? I can't just have bad luck and two cards in the row doing it. Everything performs fine with the ASUS now.

Which brings me to the next point - do you think this thing is vBIOS limited? I just have this feeling that this card would have been more of a monster but NVIDIA put shackles on it. My OC is already pretty nuts - boosts over 3GHz core (+190) and memory clock at 23000MHz (+1998) like butter with zero skills.

Key for Performance Cap (PerfCap):
Pwr: Limited by total power limit
Thrm: LImited by temperatur limit
VRel: Limited by reliability voltage
VOp: Limited by operating voltage
Idle: Limited by GPU utilization

Thanks for reading - here is a couple build pr0n shots in addition to all the VRel stats:

IMG_5222.jpegIMG_5224.jpeg

4070tisuper_tuf_vrel.png

Last edited:
It means that the clock speed cannot boost any higher without negatively affecting performance and stability. You will always have a perfcap reason, and VRel is typical to see from a stock card. You can try edging the GPU voltage up until you get the Pwr perfcap reason and/or you see lower boost clocks. You're not limited by the VBIOS voltage-wise until you see the VOp perfcap.

You will always have a perfcap reason. But you mentioned issues when just using the OS? Your cpu-z screenshot looks like it's while playing a game. Your card shouldn't peg out to 2985Mhz just using the OS. I mean not unless you were doing something that uses the GPU.

You will always have a perfcap reason. But you mentioned issues when just using the OS? Your cpu-z screenshot looks like it's while playing a game. Your card shouldn't peg out to 2985Mhz just using the OS. I mean not unless you were doing something that uses the GPU.
That was with the MSI card. You are correct they're from a game (OCCT Unreal Engine stability test). These screenshots are the ASUS card. I believe the MSI card had issues + this behavior that I wasn't familiar with. Ultimately, the MSI card failed MSI's OC Scanner.

Last edited:
That was with the MSI card. You are correct they're from a game (OCCT Unreal Engine stability test). These screenshots are the ASUS card. I believe the MSI card had issues + this behavior that I wasn't familiar with. Ultimately, the MSI card failed MSI's OC Scanner.
In what way do you mean it failed? It could have been a good card, the scanner just simply could not find a stable overclock. Did you ever try overclocking it yourself? I've personally never had good luck using it. I could always push a card further myself. The scanner seems to favor adding voltage along the boost curve when that isn't always needed.

In what way do you mean it failed? It could have been a good card, the scanner just simply could not find a stable overclock. Did you ever try overclocking it yourself? I've personally never had good luck using it. I could always push a card further myself. The scanner seems to favor adding voltage along the boost curve when that isn't always needed.
With no OC the MSI OC Scanner reported a failure. I was also seeing the card hit PerfCap in the OS. So lots of strange behavior. It was Open Box and I am guessing Micro Center just goofed up - for all intents and purposes it looks like it is fine. But in game it stutters like crazy. Micro Center really took care of me - gave me the "Open Box" price on a new TUF 4070 Ti SUPER - so only $730. Super awesome.

Yeah it sounds like the the first open-box you bought was actually defective, but in an unusual way that at first glance might have appeared to be good. They probably have a tech who tests returned items and decides if it can be re-sold as open-box or not. Those cards should have full mfr warranty at least.

Nothing wrong with trying open-box items. I bought an Onkyo receiver open box for like half price (back before Pioneer bought them and the new models were sh!t) and it lasted 7 years, never failed.

Yeah it sounds like the the first open-box you bought was actually defective, but in an unusual way that at first glance might have appeared to be good. They probably have a tech who tests returned items and decides if it can be re-sold as open-box or not. Those cards should have full mfr warranty at least.

Nothing wrong with trying open-box items. I bought an Onkyo receiver open box for like half price (back before Pioneer bought them and the new models were sh!t) and it lasted 7 years, never failed.
Oh yeah, absolutely. In fact - I prefer open box, particularly at good companies like Micro Center and Costco. I have bought dozens of them with zero issues. But yeah, stuff happens and falls through the cracks.

Back