Resolution Upgrade: How Big Is It?

azeem40

Limp Gawd
I am going to be coming from the monitor and screen on the Gateway Profile 5 and the Toshiba Satellite P105-S6024, respectively, to a 1200p Dell UltraSharp U2412M. How much of a difference do you think I would see in gaming on a new computer I am building? It is i5 2500k & 7950 radeon on a u2412m monitor. Sorry for not clarifying. I will be playing BF3 (not competitively), DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3, Skyrim, and Ultimate Battle 22. Thanks.

Last edited:
I think many of us can't tell if you're trolling or not. The systems you list are extremely dated systems... we're talking 5+ years old. The Gateway Profile 5? 8+ years old. That's a P4.

I don't think you can seriously consider playing any games on either of those systems enjoyably.

If you're asking strictly on screen size. 24" is bigger, but you might as well invest in a TV if you're only playing console games.

It is for a computer I am building. I5 2500k & 7950 radeon on a u2412m. Sorry for not clarifying.

Let me share my experience with you since you may just want an idea of how the amount of money you are about to invest is going to provide utility for you in terms of enjoyment.

The sheer joy you get from being able to just max out the resolution and antialiasing for the first time is like stealing cash from a bank. It's just incredibly exciting and you feel guilty that you could have spent money on so many other more important things.

Unfortunately, you also get a 'this is only as good as it looks?' feeling after awhile. Parts of textures look pixillated and the overall look of games isn't quite up to what you want it to be. Partly for the insane amount of money it costs vs. a console and also that you have no direct control over how close to reality a game will ever look.

I have built a new high end crossfire/sli rig once a year since 2003. I have gone through so many video cards, motherboards, and processors that it's all the same. The joy i get from new generations is nothing compared to when i made my first jump to a 9700pro and could max everything out.

When i get a new setup, it doesn't change the visual enjoyment, it only gives me x more fps or 1 notch more AA. In your case, you are going to be stepping into the modern world of high resolution high quality gaming. Enjoy the ride, no matter where you are on it, it's always worth it.

When i was younger i could easily game away fps for up to 40 hours a week. Nowadays I force myself to play a few hours here and there to atleast get some use out of my high end investment.

For me it's the thrill of hardware and components that i'm addicted to. gaming is always there, but doing things like tweaking my vertex 3 120gb drives on a raid 0 array to give over 1gb/s read and write is intoxicating for me.

for some it's the games, for me, it's always been the devliery.

This is exactly what I was looking for in an answer! I asked other people and they said it won't be worth it.

What resolution are you upgrading from?

If all you're talking about is resolution, then it depends on what resolution you're upgrading from and how large your old screen was. I went from a 21.5" 1680x1050 screen to a 27" 1920x1080 screen, and there wasn't a huge difference in clarity. Actually the 27" screen has a worse DPI count, roughly 85 versus 92. My 27" 1080p screen looks crisper but that's probably due to the much better sharpening feature it utilizes.

My last screen was 1280x1024 on my 17" widescreen laptop and 1440x900 on my 15" square-screened desktop (all-in-one). The names of these computers are in my OP.

So just a thought. I have used a 1920x1080 47" HDTV and a Dell 2407WFP for the past few years and this week bought a HP ZR30w and two ASUS VW246H's.

Resolution wise... for gaming 1920x1080 is great in one important way, new games, older video card generally mean you still have something playable. My HD6970 PCS+ was fine at 1920x1080 but I can notice the bump to 1920x1200. So now the prospect of 2560x1600 is a lot more pixels to push and I'm already looking at a HD7970... or two.

The other big thing I would note is that moving to higher pixel densities is noticeable, but you want to have good panels. I would not go from 1080 to 1200 at the expense of panel/ backlight quality.

Finally, a huge consideration for me is when I am not gaming. My gaming has basically gone from a hobby to the point where my release day copy of BF3 is still sitting in the unopened Amazon envelope... Higher resolutions are great for things other than gaming because an extra 10% vertically ends up being more than you think. The big driver around the ZR30w is the fact that I have been doing more writing and Photoshop and extra space is great for simple things like MS Word, Outlook, Excel, web browsing and etc. If you do not use the PC at all for non-gaming activities, this may be moot, but if you do, that should be a decision criteria.

I have to break my 3x24" portrait eyefinity (3600x1920) back to 3 extended monitors in landscape to play the diablo3 beta. It felt tiny on 1920x1200 =)

I have now decided to get the U2312HM, because of this:
Dude the 2312 and the 2412 are the exact same monitor , the only only difference is one is 24 inch and the other is 23 thats all

i say get the 2312 the 1 inch difference isn't much and the 2312 is quite a bit cheaper even though it exactly the same

The screen will be huge!! your experience with games will be awesome!. i went from a 19 to 23 and thats my experience. good luck with yours.

However, I dont really like the new dell ips because it just seems so downgraded in my opinion. Like they were saving costs. But its just my opinion.

What monitor would you suggest then? I honestly am torn. I want good picture quality no matter where I look on the screen, but I don't want to have a bad gaming experience either.

However, I dont really like the new dell ips because it just seems so downgraded in my opinion. Like they were saving costs. But its just my opinion.

that's because they are a downgrade. the cheaper ones are E-IPS such as the U2412M, while the U2410 is still $499, it's a S-IPS.

However, E-IPS is much better for gaming, lower input lag and faster panel, at the cost of color.

I have to break my 3x24" portrait eyefinity (3600x1920) back to 3 extended monitors in landscape to play the diablo3 beta. It felt tiny on 1920x1200 =)

My solution to small monitor syndrome is finding a way to mount the screen 12 inches from my face without sacrificing usable desk space. Swiveling arm mounts are good for this purpose.

Hmm, 1080p will be less stress for my GPU and good for movies, plus with the U2312HM, I can get other games as well.

I just moved down from a 1920x1200 24" 2405FPW to the 1920x1080 23" U2312HM. I will say that there is a noticeable difference in screen size and pixel real estate, but I'm not at all disappointed by it. I thought it'd be worse than it is to be honest. I do have a smaller work area than I used to though too, so having a slightly smaller monitor is actually a benefit in my case.

Should I even consider a 120Hz monitor for the games I play? If so, which one?

if you play a lot of games, and you don't mind the picture quality and viewing angles of a tn panel, 120hz is the way to go.

i personally prefer the ips technology due to having such a wide display with 3x 24" monitors, where the viewing angle is much wider then having one monitor.

Is there any panel that is a good compromise of good viewing angles, picture quality, and game playability?

The U2412M is the fastest IPS LED monitor on the market.

No, it's not.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1317112577
flatpanelshd.com said:
Instead I compared U2312HM to a few other IPS and VA based monitors such as the Dell U2412M and an Eizo monitor. Dell U2312HM is faster than the competition and even faster than 24” U2412M. I noticed slightly less blurring on fast motion but more importantly, U2312HM has less overdrive trailing – not significantly, but it is a visible difference when doing a side-by-side test.

I cannot recommend U2312HM as a thoroughbred gaming monitor but for most gaming it is adequate. It is also one of the faster IPS monitors on the market today, faster than Dell’s own 24” U2412M model. 120 Hz is still the preferred choice for demanding gamers.

So if you want the best for gaming, it may be best to go with a 120hz. I wanted a jack of all trades, so I ended up with the 23.

Back