Replacing a 6950 2GB?

Ryom

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an MSI Twin Frozr II 6950 rapidly approaching total fan failure. I love the hardware, and HATE the software/driver. I'd like to go back to Nvidia but the card absolutely must have HDMI audio out which supports HD-Audio codec bitstreaming as I use a receiver for PC surround sound and Blu-Ray playback.

What does Nvidia have out right now that will perform better than a 6950 (I'd like to upgrade if possible instead of side-grading), and supports HD-Audio Bitstreaming / HDMI audio?

Budget? Well... it's flexible, but I am NOT going to spend $500 on a card. I'd say around ~$300 would be a soft limit. I game at 1920x1080.

I really had my heart set on taking some thermite to it... still can't believe MSI refuses to cross-ship. And A LOT of these specific cards are having fans die on them very quickly. MSI will never see a dollar from me again.

Probably wait for GTX 680 information to come out. But at the moment it seems like the 680 will be much higher than your soft limit and that is if it supports your bitstreaming requirement at all.

A GTX 560ti is a sidegrade or downgrade (debatable). I don't think the other higher cards support your bitstreaming requirement.

GTX 570 beats 6950 in pretty much everything, has an aggregate boost of about 20% over 6950 and range $250-$300 currently.

Not sure if 20% is enough for you but that seems to be same price range as your 6950 was and what you are looking to spend.

EVGA is probably the best maker, local English speakers, trade up program, and best warranty in the business.

Good thing about EVGA is when 660ti/gtx 670 comes and maybe stomps your GTX 570 for same price you can upgrade for free or the difference..

I'd seriously look into the GTX 570 Classified for $300. Stomps the 6970 and beats GTX 580. Meaning it beats 7870 ($360) and is about even with 7950 which costs $450;.

Best of luck with your RMA.

Last edited:
What does Nvidia have out right now that will perform better than a 6950 (I'd like to upgrade if possible instead of side-grading), and supports HD-Audio Bitstreaming / HDMI audio?

Nothing. The 570 and 580 don't support true bitstreaming and although 560ti does, it's only a sidegrade to your 6950.

I suppose I could try putting an aftermarket cooler on the MSI 6950 if there aren't any Nvidia cards that do bitstreaming with a significant performance advantage out right now :/

Welcome to the club myst. MSI's FrozrII product line has A LOT of fan failures and they refused to do anything to rectify the situation aside from a plain RMA, no cross-ship, no offer to side-grade to the FrozrIII (which I assume has fewer fan failures), nothing. I asked to be forwarded to a supervisor and MSI stopped communicating with me.

Great customer service. Put out a product that fails in droves and then treat your customers like dirt.

Back