Remote video streaming: PC->Tablet/Phone (Android)

Ryom

[H]ard|Gawd
So I've seen various way to stream content from your PC to your mobile android device. What I haven't seen is anything that INTEGRATES well. I could install a DLNA server, but that's not quite what I want. Ideally, I'd just want something that would create a remotely shared folder link on my Android device that I could use MXplayer or the equivalent to play from my PC instead of a specialized streaming app.

Anything like that exist?

I have remote desktop apps and they are too much hassle to just watch a simple video for, which is why I'm after something simple.

I have a DLNA server setup to stream my media to all of the devices in my home. I use MediaHouse pro on android to browse the DLNA server and it lets me choose whatever media application I want to use to do the streaming. I primarily use MXplayer as you mentioned. Works great and is very simple.

Trying plex out... seems to be choking a bit streaming in high quality even locally. Also having trouble getting remote streaming working (not NAT'd, live IP address).

I am looking for the same thing. I've been trying to use apps like ES File Explorer to play video files using MX Player off shared folders in Windows, but it inevitably stalls and turns to shit. I know bandwidth isn't a problem because I could use a Surface Pro and stream full-bitrate Blu-ray rips without issue.

I am looking for the same thing. I've been trying to use apps like ES File Explorer to play video files using MX Player off shared folders in Windows, but it inevitably stalls and turns to shit. I know bandwidth isn't a problem because I could use a Surface Pro and stream full-bitrate Blu-ray rips without issue.

I use MX Player via a Samba share to stream 1080p videos without issue to my phone over 802.11n. Might be worth checking your device and network settings, because the software is definitely capable of doing what you want.

Trying plex out... seems to be choking a bit streaming in high quality even locally. Also having trouble getting remote streaming working (not NAT'd, live IP address).

Doesn't plex require both a server and a player application? That is essentially the same setup requirement that you would need with a DLNA server, so I dont see how that is a better alternative. Why do you prefer to not use DLNA?

Last edited:
Plex was interesting because it advertised remote streaming capabilities (ala netflix). I'd really like to use folder sharing on my PC and having my android devices read from that. CEpeep mentioned a Samba share so I'm interested in what he's doing.

How exactly do you have your DLNA environment setup?

Update: I've got remote sharing working and it works well! The issues with the local HD video streaming locking up is due to Plex player apparently as it didn't do quite the same when I did a direct feed to MXplayer. For some reason though the video still lags at certain points. As far as I can tell it's neither a bandwidth or server CPU issue.

Back