Recommendations for professional use

JargonGR

Limp Gawd
Hi there.

My trusty HP LP3065 30" has decided to stop working after almost 10 years of hard daily use but I was looking for an opportunity to jump into the 4K bandwagon anyway.

To my surprise thought buying a monitor these days is not that simple it seems. I have spent most of the day trying to catch up with the latest display advancements and for my needs I have decided to get a 32" 4K monitor.

I won't be playing games and the monitor will be used for productivity purposes with software like Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Autocad, MS Office Applications, web authoring and light development and in the future 3ds Max.

I also produce and/or approve material for printing so color accuracy is good to have. With that said and having read many reviews about 4K monitors today I have decided to go with the Dell Ultrasharp UP3216Q that also supports almost full Adobe RGB (wide gamut). I don't want to go with a very expensive NEC or EISO display since I prefer to upgrade again within the next 2 years when better (i.e. OLED) displays with DP 1.3 or higher are available and with higher refresh rates.

I was also looking at the 4K 40" Philips as well as the upcoming 43" model but neither supports full Adobe RGB color space and they might be very large after all.

What do think? Any recommendations?

Hmm after further research it seems like the Dell has its own issues.

Look here

and here

UP3216Q, significant banding after calibration - Monitors Forum - Peripherals - Dell Community
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19666103?pi23185=1#20861769

Yet, upon further reading I realize that although Full Adobe RGB is nice to have I might actually only be needing mostly 1% of the time I will be using my monitor and even then I can always just grab a smaller monitor to use for proofing. Yet, I think I might be able to fix my HP LP3065 since I suspect it is only a power supply issue according to other people that were facing exactly the same issue as mine.

The only truly professional monitors that have no banding or uniformity issues are NEC & High end EIZOs and that means 3,000 Euros or more.

Yet another option for full Adobe RGB coverage is the Samsung LU32D97KQSR which is a 2014 model and although good for graphics design and photography/video editing it does not do great with lag, contrast (480:1) and brightness. It is also the most expensive of the bunch and only offers HDMI 1.4. If it was new and had not those downsides I would not mind paying for it but at this price I can't justify them.

So if I go for a non Full Adobe RGB monitor then my options open up and could opt for either of the following:

32" 4K Monitors

1) BenQ BL3201P

+ remote control
+ Light Sensor
+ Pivot (useful for me)
+ Easy access OSD
+ Solid construction
+ Good Price

- No HDMI V2.0 and only 1 HDMI (are there adapters for using the min DP 1.2 as an HDMI V.2?)
- No MHL (3.0) support

2) Asus PA328Q (quite more expensive than the BenQ but with better color coverage as well)

+ Very good measurements in the reviews I have seen
+ HDMI 2.0

- More Expensive (even more than the Dell UP3216Q)
- No light sensor but also Eye Care Technology with low blue light modes

These two monitors offer some features that

Is there something I am missing between the two that justifies the price of the Asus (besides the wider Adobe RGB color space coverage - 5% more as a matter of fact)

OR

Go for a big ass screen like the upcoming 42.5" Philips BDM4350UC which is an impressive screen but color accuracy goes out of the window meaning I need a second monitor for proofing. If it is too big I can always move it back since my office is wide (120 cm) and taller than average (85cm) which means I sit higher as well so the viewing angle can be adjusted.

Are you confused. I am and I have concluded that they display market is a mess right now.

Yeah add to it that benq and acer and crossover all use the same 32 in 4k panel that gets repeat occasional flash band artifact. ... I am still using the HP LP3065 on one of my computer and it's a great monitor... I do like my crossover 324K though but wish that it doesn't have the artifact and has sub 20ms input lag.

If you just want a cheap 32 in 4K monitor for $440 I think you can't go wrong with the crossover 324K . You can try to calibrate it and see how good it gets. At least for my daily regular use it's not so bad for the price. Then you can save up and get a much better 32 in 4k monitor later when there's more available and price of the more premium ones go down.

I work for many hours in front of the monitor and also require good color accuracy (at least 100% sRGB) so going with a "cheap" model is not that simple. As a matter of fact the BenQ, Asus, Dell and the Samsung 32" 4K ones are cheap compared to a wide gamut NEC or EIZO that easily go for 3X the price (and 3X the quality control to be honest).

If the new Philips BDM4350UC offers 100% sRGB coverage I think I might buy it and be done with it till newer monitors come out. It is already listed in some shops in Europe with a 3 weeks availability window. I will need to see a review first though.

Yesterday I was looking at the Asus over the internet for any possible user feedback and along with the periodic flashing issue you mention there are some "wake up" from standby issues reported as well and no control on brightness once you choose the sRGB color profile. It is also more expensive than the Dell in Europe.

What seems promising *IF* it ever is released is the successor to Asus PA328Q the PA329Q which supports full Adobe RGB color space as well and it is improved.

I do not know why it has not shown up yet however I managed to find a review here:

Asus ProArt PA329Q 32 inch Colour Accurate 4K IPS Display Review
http://www.kitguru.net/peripherals/...2-inch-colour-accurate-4k-ips-display-review/
The review is March 2016 so hopefully release is close. Now price wise I guess it will be higher than the current model at the beginning but will drop. An Asus representative mentioned on facebook that it will be around $1500 on launch.

Let's see.

The problem is that I am working on a 3 years old Samsung 1080p 32" TV right now and it feels like a real downgrade compared to my HP LP3065 I had. My eyes are not exactly happy with it and I have a lot of work to do the following weeks.

working on a 3 yr TV? Maybe your TV is real good but I cant imagine better than most monitors... How's the Lp3065 compared to those "pro" monitors? I mean theres not any adjustment built into the Lp3065 except for backlight brightness control..

I don't like the 3 year old 1080p Samsung! It is because my HP stopped working that I am using for the last few days. I really need a good monitor ASAP but that does not mean I will spend 1000-1500 Euros on problematic products. I just hope that some of the new ones will be released soon (i.e. The Asus PA329Q or the new 43" Philips) or pehaps Dell fixes the banding issues of the UP3216Q. In any case, I will wait for a month or so (even though I "suffer") to see how things are going in the market. Other than that there is not much I can do.

Hi.

Did you consider these:

LG 31MU97 (no HDMI 2.0 support and limited ergonomics +- 1200 euro)
HP DreamColor Z32X (+- 1800 euro)

I don't recommend the DEL UP3216Q. I am in the process of trying the replacement. Both units have a pink tint from center to right of the panel. This is on every color preset except those that allow for Uniformity Compensation. This makes the sRGB, AdobeRGB, CAL1 and CAL2 presets unusable! The HP Z32X has a similar panel. I wonder if it has the same issues. It is preferable to pay 500 more if it does not have any issues.

artbio

lt seems that the Dell has issues for many users especially when calibrated which defeats the purpose of getting it for professional use (i.e. color accuracy).

The HP DreamColor Z32X would actually cost me 1300 Euros (without VAT - business purchase) but have not read anything about it. I will dig up some info since I have been very satisfied with the HP LP3065 30" for almost 10 years.

Here is a review : Staring into HP’s 32-inch DreamColor is like looking through a window

Nothing to exciting though and I certainly don't get the feeling that "Yes, I pay more" but I get performance and features. I think these days you need to pay more in order to buy something the simply works as intended when it comes to monitors. Totally sucks.

The main reason I hesitate to invest more than 900 or max 1000 Euros (excl. VAT) is because none of these monitors are 100% trouble free or working exactly as advertised.
Yet, this is the reason I am considering the 43" Philips as a stop gap solution (would also be great for heavy multitasking) but I need to be sure that it at least offers full sRGB coverage. I don't do a lot of photo editing to be honest and when I use photoshop it is for graphics work or a 3D scene image or for mockups to present to customers in an iPad (it can be calibrated btw). None of these requires full Adobe RGB coverage.

With that said I wish I knew when the new Asus 32" is coming out.

P.S. My internet connection was just upgraded today to 50Mbs VDSL from 10Mbps and god damn it I can't even enjoy some 4K footage from Youtube!

working on a 3 yr TV? Maybe your TV is real good but I cant imagine better than most monitors... How's the Lp3065 compared to those "pro" monitors? I mean theres not any adjustment built into the Lp3065 except for backlight brightness control..

When I got the HP it was almost 10 years ago and by that time it was one of the best displays available in the market. It did offer wide gamut coverage (Adobe RGB above 90%) and a resolution of 2560X1600 which was really high for 2007.
I think I know what is wrong with it since I dig up some info on some technical forums and other people facing exactly the same issue managed to repair it by fixing its internal PSU. A CAP needs replacement or even the whole PSU for less than 100 Euros. But still I need a new monitor anyway and a 4K one for more desktop real estate. A 32" might not actually be noticeably bigger but the resolution will be.

Right now I am not convinced by any of the current offerings since almost all of them have issues or some disadvantages compared to each other so I will wait to see how the new Philips 43" performs, hope that the new Asus is released soon too or go with the BenQ as a stop gap solution.

I do not know if I will mange to wait for long though since working on this 3 years old Samsung 32" 1080p TV is far from ideal and leaves a lot to be desired compared to my old LP3065.

I think you are most likely the first professional user [H]ere that understands that high color gamut is only required rarely and more often than not impacts negatively on the visual quality of web authoring. Your idea of using a smaller monitor for proofing stuff before printing sounds great. There is a new monitor using quantum dot that promises 99% adobe rgb coverage for ~$299.

I kind of put my old ACD 30"( another 1600p high gamut from 2007) away , because:
-I did not have a fast and reliable way of switching between adobe RGB and sRGB
-CCFL backlight is hot as hell in my country
-Ergonomics where terrible without a fully adjustable stand.

I tried a 40" 4k TV for some time:
-working space was great
-pixel density went up a bit, but was still manageable
-color acuraccy was excellent for sRGB
-LED backlight meant less heat
-even worst ergonomics than the 30"

I settled for a "downgrade", the Dell U2515H, it is a 25" 1440p:
-Good collor acuraccy
-Perfect ergonomics
-Much better contrast than the old Apple 30"
-Pixel density is around the limit of my eyes, i am sure i can not handle the pixel density of a 32" 4k.
-It offers a modular solution: if i need more working space, i can grab another, or go all in and put 3 in portrait mode.

Triple 1440p in portrait has a size similar to an hypothetical widescreen 40" but 50% more pixels than 4k. And it is cost effective when compared to a 32" 4k .

My main issue with 32" 4k is that pixel density is too high for use at native resolution, so effective working space may end up smaller than a 1440p.
My favorite single monitor solutions are the 34" ultrawides, until a 35" 4k comes out.

I had the same issues with the HP LP3065. Everything but color managed applications suffered oversaturation because switching color profiles was not an option from the monitor (same panel as ACD). CCFL was hot (not as heel) but the stand was great and could be fully adjusted (height, swivel, tilt) and was one of the reasons I chose it over ACD back then.
Nonetheless, it is not working as of last week (although I will fix it most probably and have it as secondary).

Now going for anything smaller is not an option for me since I do heavy multitasking most of the day and need real estate. For example. I usually have open CAD drawings of buildings (floorplans), huge excel sheets side by side, documents, many internet tabs and Adobe Applications. My workflow is a bit strange and kind of wide in scope.

So although I wish there was a 35" 4K Monitor available now (sweet spot) I am afraid that I will have to go with either a 32" screen for now or opt for the large 43" Philips (if it proves to be any good) that most certainly will be great for multitasking.

As far as ergonomics go (with the 43") this I can solve through a flexible monitor arm and a combination of desk & chair height. I other words it will be surfaced on my desk if needed, moved back and I can sit higher (my desk is 20cm higher than normal) and in the end I will not be stressing my neck by looking up on it.

I wll just wait for about a month hoping for a Philips Review or a release of the new Asus and will decide by then.

I'm also looking for a new monitor and I'm looking for a 32" model and found the search just as frustrating.

HP Z32x might be the best choice among somewhat reasonably priced options (i.e. below USD/EUR 3K unlike NEC PA322UHD or Eizo CG318-4K. Eizo does have the EV3237, but that has a slightly grainy coating and the PRAD review is not very promising for color accuracy. Also part of the FlexScan series, it's not going to be subject to exceptional quality control).

Unfortunately there is absolutely nothing about the HP to be found anywhere, other than the hype at the time of its announcement (best computer monitor at NAB).

I saw that review of the HP Z32x and found it really useless. There is no mention at all of the coating and I suppose no news is bad news in this case. The reviewer compares the HP to the Samsung U32D970Q (he's the author of that linked review) without mentioning anything about the coating on either. Yet that one does have a grainy coating (but perhaps there is some sample variance or not everyone is bothered by that). However, that review came out recently, maybe others will follow in the next few days.

I considered downsizing a bit and going for a 27" model, but the best choices are either ViewSonic VP2780 or NEC EA275UHD. I hate that I would have to import the NEC from the US because they won't allow the same calibration kit to work on their European model. That actually makes me want to cross NEC off my list completely, but the list is already too damn short in the first place.

At least in the past you could pay a bit more to get a bit more. Now you have to empty your wallet to get that little bit more and quality control has all but disappeared where manufacturing tolerances should only have got tighter.

(I)

Last edited:
Sad but true. This is the first time since I got my hands on a computer that I feel like I am out of options considering the purchase of a peripheral. I will just wait a little bit more to see if Asus releases PA329Q along with the new 43" Philips. These are the two candidates and each is supported by a different rational holding its own advantages. I am really tempted by the idea of using the Philips for the huge real estate it offers (no scaling) coupled with a second smaller monitor just for proofing.

We'll see.

You should really wait to see if the Philips will turn out good. One negative thing about the Philips is that it will most likely have BGR subpixel layout instead of RGB just like BDM4065UC, because I suspect this will use the same panel as the Crossover 434K and that one is BGR. I really started thinking about placing an order on Philips since I had both 40" and 48" 4K and it's is amazing to game on larger screens but I think I will wait, I use OSX sometimes and it seems that on OSX it is not possible to configure font smoothing for BGR layout so font's will be blurry, while on Windows and Linux it can be changed by modifying cleartype settings etc. (It is always possible to rotate the monitor upside down by using a vesa mount and then rotating the picture on the OS but that is not a great solution). I also tested out some Linux distros but HiDPI on Linux is not a great experience but being able to have the scaling at 100% would solve the issue.

I have also been thinking about the amount of IPS glow because of the large screen,
so I searched for Crossover 434K glow on google to see what can be expected.

cajbcga.jpg

ZFhkM6L.jpg

And I am not sure what to expect. I had several IPS monitors during the last 5 years and BL3201PT
is the one with least IPS glow of all that I owned and if I do change to the Philips and it ends up having a lot of glow, I am gonna be sad.

The Benq is really a good monitor and I am afraid the Philips will not manage to beat it at anything other than the size, just look at the price, 43" inch 800€, 32" inch 1050€,
you would expect a such larger monitor to cost more and not less but you get what you pay for (or maybe someone thinks that Benq is overpriced?).

What I find the strangest about 'us' overcoming the perplexities the manufacturers try to bamboozle us all with is how we each come to different conclusions on the different monitors available (and I'm talking about graphic design, not movies and games). I've looked into the big Philips (not the newest I might add that you've mentioned) and wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. I can't tell you why now, because there's no point keeping in my memory all the 'why nots', because I'd just confuse myself more lol. Same goes for the BenQ's. Now the 32" Philips mentioned here Philips BDM3270 - a hidden gem I could go for as a stop gap. I don't want to go for the 4k, because I feel a 32" 2k resolution will give me tons of space for working similar to the OP, as in masses of websites, excel sheets, AI, PS and the rest, without having to squint my eyes all the time. The Dells above 27" these days seem less Pro and more multimedia home use, and I don't see why I should settle for a 27" when a 32" will do the job so much better for a little bit more, so the Dells are out for me too, as well as thinking I'm paying a lot more for a Dell because of the name/advertising, when the same actual panel used appears elsewhere. So throw out Asus, AOC, HKC, Viewsonic because they all have some issues reported and maybe one or two have glossy screens or they don't have VESA mounting, or they include crappy speakers, or for digital graphics their gamuts don't even get to 100% sRGB and maybe even their resolution suits a 24" better.

So I end up aiming for a Samsung, because the NEC's and Eizo's are going 'too pro' for me at the moment, and I've got 2 Samsungs to choose from a) U32D970Q or b) S32D850T and after reading some really great & detailed reviews from people that use the monitors in the way I want to, the S32D850T seems a great choice compared to it's very expensive brother, when taking into account the panel type, the connections, the gamuts, the VESA mount, USB's etc.

I've literally just come across the ZEOL i8 30" P-IPS Gen2 & the Koios K3014MME - they are not cheap, there are few if any reviews but their specs look promising (even if it's a 30" and not a 32"), but they are pricey. I also looked up IIYAMA XB3070WQS-B1 and forgot it in a heartbeat.

I'm very far from being a monitor expert, and it's really difficult to find relevant reviews but I've come to the conclusion that you need to write a) a must have list & b) a wish list. Only then can you sort the wheat from the chaff and get close to the monitor that will fit you best.

Saying that, if your hardware will drive the new big Philips and it features both your wants and wish lists, get it. But get it from somewhere that does returns in case it's horrible. Good luck :)

P.S. Whatever you get, please write a detailed review with respect digital graphic design.

Now you got me worried about the Philips and the BGR Subpixel layout. On top of this I am in doubt regarding sRGB coverage as well but I just have to wait and see. It seems that the only option that appears promising is the new Asus PA329Q but where is it?????? If anyone has info on when it is coming out it would be really helpful

I am also monitoring the Dell UP3216Q and it seems that it has banding issues if you attempt to calibrate it yourself. What I am trying to understand is if those issues are a "monitor" problem or the result of crippled 10bit color support of consumer GPUs meaning I will have to get a Quadro or Firepro as well.

Here is another link discussing this issue : How does the "Color Depth" setting work? | Community

i don't see how having BGR subpixels can be a bad thing. Windows can adjust clearytpe settings for BGR , like i did with my Seiki. Unless we are talking about Apples OSs, BGR or RGB is completely a non-issue.

I was not relevant with subpixel layout but yes it does not seem to be an issue and I am a Windows user.

I might be able to fix it so I will try this instead. To be honest it is a good opportunity to get something new that gets less hot and offers even more desktop space. Hence the interest for the philips 43". Now for color proofing I think I will get a secondary monitor for that job only (smaller).

I have finally concluded on what I am going to purchase and complete my setup.

A) I will get the Philips 43" for daily use and multitasking. I have considered that at the age of 41 it will offer me a more comfortable experience (without eyes) for day-to-day use and heavy multitasking.Yet, it will be great for CAD drawings (floor plans) that I process often, huge excel spreadsheets, Illustrator & Photoshop work, web authoring etc. I also plan to buy an Ergotron arm and will mount the monitor to a side wall so it will not be touching my desk and will be able to adjust height and tilt.

B) I will attempt to Repair my HP LP3065 for color proofing or if this does not work out I will get a smaller second monitor (24-27) installed in portrait mode that is color accurate and will be used for color proofing.

Given the state of the market I can not justify paying what the manufacturers ask for 32" professional monitors (sRGB & Adobe RGB coverage) given that most of them have problems. A dual monitor solution is the most appropriate the way I see it and a better use of my money although combined, the Philips 43", an Ergotron arm for side wall mounting & a second monitor will cost more than a Pro 32" 4K monitor. At least I will get the best of both worlds.

Now the question is which 24-27" monitor (not 4K) would you get for color proofing?

I have seen this Philips but unfortunately:

- It does not have an option to switch modes (sRGB, Adobe RGB)
- It requires software calibration in order to even remotely useful for color proofing
- It has too low resolution for this size

I think Dell's range of smaller professional monitors is interesting and from what i read they don't have any of the issues their 32" 4K one has.

The Asus PA329Q is also listed in Europe now so it seems that it is finally released.

ASUS 32" PA329Q - IPS 4K(90LM02CC-B01370) Bildschirme

Lowest Price as of now is 1,361 Euros incl. VAT or 1,143 Euros in my case since it will be a company buy sans VAT.

Big dilemma! It is almost double price than the Philips and I wonder how comfortable it will be without scaling text size wise.

I know the 43" will be much more comfortable to the eyes and for multitasking but the Asus seems to be higher quality construction wise and has a proper stand. I am also considering a high quality Ergotron for the Philips which will of course be a good investment for future displays as well.

Does anyone know which ergotron model would be good for sidewall mounting of the 43" Philips. My desk is placed with its right side on a wall and all other sides are free so sidewall mounting of an arm is what I need with a lot of extension.

I have finally concluded on what I am going to purchase and complete my setup.

Now the question is which 24-27" monitor (not 4K) would you get for color proofing?

I would like to see this expanded upon a bit. I am both a programmer and a photographer, and part time gamer, and would like to see something that covers all three, but this seems prohibitively expensive. Separate screens seem a better option for me.

So "Now the question is which 24-27" monitor (not 4K) would you get for color proofing"?

Ideally, this would be under $200 for me, but can maybe stretch to $300. Maaaaaayyyyybbbeeee.

Also, I should probably add that I'm not joking. I'm on a very strict budget, as have been out of work due to illness, and so now looking to get back into swing of things from home. Primarily, I'm interested in a more color accurate display for making prints. I can get any old monitor for the other two things. Is this possible sub $300? Screen estate is not a massive deal for me atm.

Hmm at $300 I do not know if you can get an accurate display but I was thinking of Dell. Perhaps you should also look into a second hand option especially if you require Adobe RGB color space, calibration options and the ability to switch profiles from the monitor's OSD.

Hmm at $300 I do not know if you can get an accurate display but I was thinking of Dell. Perhaps you should also look into a second hand option especially if you require Adobe RGB color space, calibration options and the ability to switch profiles from the monitor's OSD.

Ok, that's great. Will look into second hard, then.

Itching to upgrade my dual U3014s to a 4k setup. Ultra-wide doesn't appeal to me since I prefer to have dual monitors and that's just TOO wide, and a single one is too little real estate (and too low res for an upgrade). I also don't game nearly enough to go after the high refresh rate.

Looks like a dual setup with either the UP3216Q or PA329Q would fit the bill nicely. Just need to wait for prices to come down a bit.

Last edited:
The Dell has issues I would opt for the Asus for now. Just google "banding after calibration" for the Dell..

Back