recommendation for a UPS (uninterruptible power supply)

After 3 fires with APC units and one DOA I'm through giving them a chance. First fire was a SmartUPS 1500VA that was pretty old. Took forever to get the smell out of my office. The next two were BackUPS 1500VA models at a customer's location - both smoked within 6 months. The last was a cheapie little 500va unit that was DOA. Sure anecdotal evidence, no doubt, but I've had really good luck with the PFC series of CyberPower so far. Got half a dozen of them and they've handled all sorts of crazy power issues over here. Another brand I've seen fail a LOT has been the 1000VA TrippLite units that Costco used to sell.

I have acouple Eatons for big jobs (Servers and Refridgeration) and a smattering of APC and Cyberpower for towers.

Could someone clarify something for me please:

Does an APC SUA1500 require a recalibration every time a battery is swapped? How do you calibrate yours?

I read somewhere you just charge it up, and let it drain down using something like a couple of powerful light bulbs or something like that.

Thoughts?

Zarathustra[H];1041123336 said:
Could someone clarify something for me please:

Does an APC SUA1500 require a recalibration every time a battery is swapped? How do you calibrate yours?

I read somewhere you just charge it up, and let it drain down using something like a couple of powerful light bulbs or something like that.

Thoughts?

Required? No, can it help? maybe.

I've never done any kind of power drain calibration after swapping batteries. There's an option to do it in apcupsd (linux server box) but i've never ran it. Don't see any option to do such in APC's own powerchute software. (under windows)

In 2011 when I changed the batteries on my 1400XL I used a 500W bulb calibrate the UPS. When I changed the batteries 2 months ago I did not calibrate.

Don't see any option to do such in APC's own powerchute software. (under windows)

Hmm. I swear I saw that on the business version of the powerchute when I was testing my UPS in windows. I also use apcupsd so I do not have much experience with the windows software.

Hmm. I swear I saw that on the business version of the powerchute when I was testing my UPS in windows. I also use apcupsd so I do not have much experience with the windows software.

Well, the UPS in the desktop is an older consumer model so i'm not running the business powerchute software.

I really should just rip it out and install apcupsd except the last time I tried that it failed miserably. (apcupsd on windows can get interesting)

Eaton/Powerware often gives you a better bang for the buck than APC, as Jorana I've been very happy with their offerings.
//Danne

Back