Recommend me a great streaming media player

Nocturnal

Gawd
I dislike the PS3 for streaming due to their annoying Cinavia security. Is Western digital still pretty good?

I still love my ancient WD media player. I think the general rule is still WD for local streaming and Roku for online streaming.

I use the WDTV Live SMP and on my server I have Serviio running. It's free and for some reason it allows the WDTV to play higher bit rate movies than it normally could.

timta2 is right on.

WD has the best overall quality/compatibility for local network streaming. Roku (plex) is the best for features and streaming content to a myriad of devices.

I've been just Internet reading on the KDSLINK lineup. Looks really really interesting.

WDTVLive will be even better if they ever add Amazon streaming.
But it's what I've been using to stream from my WHS for a while now, and it's worked wonderfully.

WDTVLive will be even better if they ever add Amazon streaming.

WDTVLIVE would be better if the the firmware did not suck.

I'm on the board looking for a replacement for mine. The last firmware has a bug that corrupts files on external hard drives that causes content folders to be renamed into .mp4 or .avi files and then you can't delete them unless you go into the drive with Linux or format the drive.

One or two users have actually come up with a third party tool for recovering the files but it does not fix the problem. Which has been around since January 2013.

The fix is to rollback the firmware to an earlier version but then some mp4 files will not play. I have spent hours chansing this problem to no avail and then finally did a search for "WDTVLIVE file corruption" after a new hard drive started having the same issue. Low and behold there it was, I should have known I was looking in the wrong area.

It is time to go back to a PC hooked to the TV with a remote or find another digital player besides WDTV.

Any suggestions for a local player that will do AVI, MP4, MKV, etc? Not interested in streaming off the 'net at all or very little.

Last edited:
I bit on a WDTV Live because of all the fuss. Interface feels glacial.

I bit on a WDTV Live because of all the fuss. Interface feels glacial.

It has worked great for some time, interface did not bother me much. The fact that it is corrupting files after the last firmware is cause for alarm. Makes me wonder how good the firmwares are on the hard drives WD sells.

Back