Real world Conroe

CS is faster than v7 and CS2 is still faster. Of course Anandtech and THW etc. have stats for Photoshop and other apps, but I'm still curious to know what the average builder is getting and how much the GPU and file systems affect ultimate performance.

Just ran it again with my E6400 running at 3.2GHz. 27 seconds.

FYI I had my buddy run it on his 3.2GHz Prescott (on PS7). It took over 2 minutes. I didn't expect it to be that much slower, but it sure got him drooling over my new rig.

bassman said:

FYI I had my buddy run it on his 3.2GHz Prescott (on PS7). It took over 2 minutes. I didn't expect it to be that much slower, but it sure got him drooling over my new rig.

Well, I don't feel too bad then, my X2 @2.6ghz and 2gb ram can do that CS2 test in 32 seconds....not bad for a 1.2ghz deficit over the Conroe....

...don't get me wrong, I most likely will be building a Conroe rig in a few months....

3.2 -> 2.6 isn't 1.2... it's 0.6. In any case, the X2s and Optys are still screamers. I came from a situation where my main rig was a laptop, so I didn't have any older parts to push me into AMD or Intel.

I preferred Conroe because the early benches were faster and the OCs higher. I was tempted to just go with the X2 5000 when Conroe availability looked bleak and AMD had just dropped their prices.

bassman said:
3.2 -> 2.6 isn't 1.2... it's 0.6. In any case, the X2s and Optys are still screamers.

.6 X two = 1.2ghz, since CS2 is multithreaded, it matters :cool:

TheRapture said:

Since Conroe is dual core also, I don't agree with that logic. But okay. :p

bassman said:
Since Conroe is dual core also, I don't agree with that logic. But okay. :p

Seriously, it does matter. The process can indeed "see" both CPU's and use them, so therefore, the Conroe has a TOTAL 1.3ghz speed advantage.....

X2 @2.6ghz = 5.2ghz total power, Conroe @3.2ghz = 6.4ghz total power.....for a difference of 1.2ghz.

bassman said:

So my opty [email protected] running that in CS2 in 33 seconds seems about right. I'm surprised by the Prescott result though. Seems like it should be closer to 60 seconds...

E6400 at 2.8ghz, DDR2 at 875mhz 5.5.5.5 or whatever times

Installed CS2 trial, radial blur took about 30 seconds

I'll have to try at work on my 2.8ghz P4 1 gig ram computer with CS.

Also, that P4 machine always was slow with Lens Blur, even with faster preview. Anyone know a simple setting to really stress these Conroes, at default settings it sure was fast with the fast preview and rendered the final image with the blur bar at full. But I think it would have taken minutes at work with CS, yet it seemed like 10 seconds or so on the e6400 and CS2.

Radial blur test on my E6600 with CS2 too 33.67 seconds (according to my ipod's stopwatch)

I did this test on my P4 3.4 at work with CS2 and it took aprox 55 seconds.

My P4 2.26 took 2 minutes and 17 seconds. :D

farkus said:
Radial blur test on my E6600 with CS2 too 33.67 seconds (according to my ipod's stopwatch)

I did this test on my P4 3.4 at work with CS2 and it took aprox 55 seconds.

My P4 2.26 took 2 minutes and 17 seconds. :D

Was the P4 2.26 also with CS2?

TimothyB said:
E6400 at 2.8ghz, DDR2 at 875mhz 5.5.5.5 or whatever times

Installed CS2 trial, radial blur took about 30 seconds

I'll have to try at work on my 2.8ghz P4 1 gig ram computer with CS.

Also, that P4 machine always was slow with Lens Blur, even with faster preview. Anyone know a simple setting to really stress these Conroes, at default settings it sure was fast with the fast preview and rendered the final image with the blur bar at full. But I think it would have taken minutes at work with CS, yet it seemed like 10 seconds or so on the e6400 and CS2.

Updating my post,

Version CS2: 30seconds
Version 7: 38.5 seconds

TheRapture said:

You can't say you get twice the performance with a dual core because for that to happen the application would have to split every thing it does into a thread. First off, you are limited in the number of threads that can be created by system memory. Secondly, you would see a performance hit if you did create a thread for every little thing the application had to do. The reason for the performance hit is because the system scheduler has to maintain all the thread and allocate them time to use the processor. Overhead!

You will definately see a huge gain, but not 100%.

Marc

TheRapture said:
Seriously, it does matter. The process can indeed "see" both CPU's and use them, so therefore, the Conroe has a TOTAL 1.3ghz speed advantage.....

X2 @2.6ghz = 5.2ghz total power, Conroe @3.2ghz = 6.4ghz total power.....for a difference of 1.2ghz.

Spend about a week at 2CPU.com? You'd be doing great if you see a 40% increase even with double the processing power.

nooh said:
Actually your right you can but you still get a bit of a performance hit , this is the reason why it is what it is and you do not get any performance hit, well not as bad as you do with the past Dual CPU.

Give you a example run two 32meg pi one on each core and you will see that it will be about 20% more than when you do it alone or more sometimes , nowyou do that on conroe you get about 2-5% hit.

It is really good and amazing, i have overclocked about 7 pentiumd's and seen them work at 4.3ghz but this is like 1.9ghz is equal to a 4ghz pd and even then it kicks the daylight out of multitasking.

I didnt get a 20% performance hit when I ran 2 super pi tests, and with nod32 I dont see a performance hit running it and a game, even allowing them on teh same core.

But I dont doubt the core 2 chips shien bright, being able to game and have virus protection isnt impressive, its expected of all current CPUs.

CS2 with an E6300 @ 3150: 27 seconds

Seems like the results on Conroe are pretty predictable.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On my work computer, which is a Pentium 4 650 @ 3.4 GHz, the test took 69 seconds on CS.

My 3.06(3.4) 533/512 Northwood took 80 seconds (not that bad actually)

My opteron 170 @2.5 did about 34 seconds

in CS2

I can say there is a SIGNIFICANT improvement in performance over my old rig which is in my sig.

Photoshop loads really fast and filters load insanely quick. Everything about the machine screams.

I've been using an X6800 overclocked to 3.46ghz as my main dev box here at "the big M" for several weeks now. It screams, and everyone is totally jealous. It's noticably faster than my X2 4800+ at home (same amount of RAM).

I work on a project where this Core 2 is cutting 10-15 minutes off a full recompile, something I have to do several times a day. And the system is largely usable for other tasks while I'm doing that build, even more so than the 1x Opteron 275 I just "dumped" on my manager ;)

My friend just upgraded from a 4-year old P4 2.26 to a Core 2 E6300 (2.13ghz) and the first IM he sent me after setting it up was something like, "HOLY 60FPS BATMAN!"

(This post is made "AS IS" without warranties, and confers no rights.)

For comparison I ran that Photoshop test with my 4200+ @ 2.6ghz/2gb ram rig and got 33 seconds with CS2.

Photoshop CS 8.0

test file (pic of horse)
Radial blur
100, spin, best
time: 27 seconds

People need to state which version of Photoshop you're using.
B/c there's 7.0, CS 8.0, CS 9.0, etc

BTW, my system is in sig.
e6600 @ 2.75Ghz with 2Gb of ram @ 610Mhz DDR2.

Coming from a P4 630...it's insane.
Coming from an AMD Opteron 165/X2 3800...it's smoother/faster.

Okay I just ran this on CS2 9.0 (full version) @ stock settings in 47.03 seconds then I used ASUS Ai Booster and ran it up 10% (2.420) and did it in 34.03. I have the value select ram which probably slowed me down. This was on the horse picture spin, best, 100.

System:
Asus A8N32-SLI
Corsair Value Select 2gb
WD Raptor 37gb (os and programs)
Maxtor Max10 (pictures, music, movies)

I just did the same on my dad's computer and it took 3:42 seconds. He has a toshiba laptop with a celeron at 2.8ghz w/ 256mb or ram.

Back