RE-Building The House of RagE - AGAIN

people! maybe i should be a moderator... this whole page is pretty much completely SPAM!...

let's all calm down, take our medications, and chant:

ONE TERABYTE...
ONE TERABYTE...
ONE TERABYTE...

:)

Originally posted by codeflux
people! maybe i should be a moderator... this whole page is pretty much completely SPAM!...

let's all calm down, take our medications, and chant:

ONE TERABYTE...
ONE TERABYTE...
ONE TERABYTE...

:)

actually after the amount of space he is going to loose to redundancy and the file system etc it will probably be just under 1Tb...but im not going to take the crown of 1Tb+ away from you RagE :D

filesustem and redun..(big word) is going to take up...

wait a minute, wouldnt 1.2 terabytes be ~1200 gigabytes?

Yes, it would...6x200gig drives = 1200 gigs or 1.2T

Aren't i just the little genious;) lol

...BUT with a RAID 5, one of those drives will be for parity, giving him only 1T of ACTUAL useable space, then you have to take out the space he loses from partitions and formatting...so he'll be just barely under 1T, none the less, i'm sure we're all jealous. I've only got about .5T myself...

oh shut up...

i'm wondering whats the benifit of raid 5 when your losing 200 gigs of space?

sweet setup... got me about .5tb in my workstation right now, i'd like to set me up something like that for my mass storage needs

Originally posted by Niku
oh shut up...

i'm wondering whats the benifit of raid 5 when your losing 200 gigs of space?

because if u run just raid0 and you loose a drive.. you loose the array.. which would be bad..

raid5 provides some protection against that.. i think 200gb is a small price to pay to protect that much data..

I'll have to post pics after I get my server moved into its new case. 8x200GB WD in RAID 5 goodness attached to a 3ware 7500-12 controller. I'll actually end up with right at a real 1.1 TB usable after losing one drive for parity and one drive is going to be a hot spare.

I do like the case that you are starting with it looks pretty good for this kind of application.

The case had originally come with a dual redundant 337W power supply. However, that one does not have the "jam" to power this system so I'm using an Enermax 465P. However, the original PSU was much larger and therefore so also is the hole in the case.

psu1.jpg

So in order to get the Enermax to fit, I had to build some "wings" for it.

I had to tear the supply apart in order to use it as a template. I figured while I had it apart I may as well get rid of the "AUX" connecter.

psu2.jpg

And here are the wings:

psu3.jpg

psu4.jpg

Next to get this thing installed and start hooking it up

That's only a 350w power supply right?

Only makes me lol more when people buy 500+ watts power supplies for thier dinky home computers.

ooo - dibs on the redundant psu :p

i'd go with more RAM but that's just me. as it is I'm setting up a 733 PIII with about 40 gigs for random file stuff, connected wirelessly to my miniITX HTPC downstairs. I just need to make a ncie case for the HTPC, configure it all correctly, and burgle out the wireless controller from a computer, and its all good.

Originally posted by smatts
That's only a 350w power supply right?

Only makes me lol more when people buy 500+ watts power supplies for thier dinky home computers.

It is 431W

Originally posted by kronchev
i'd go with more RAM but that's just me. as it is I'm setting up a 733 PIII with about 40 gigs for random file stuff, connected wirelessly to my miniITX HTPC downstairs. I just need to make a ncie case for the HTPC, configure it all correctly, and burgle out the wireless controller from a computer, and its all good.

I think 512M is plenty for a server. The HTPC has 2G :D

Originally posted by FLECOM
have you taken your medication today?

i dont take medication

OMGWTFBBQ how did he do that you say?

i still want to know where the case came from you know

ok this is getting old....

any way if yourgoing to have it as a media server why dont you ghost the stuff you absoultly cant replace and put them on DVDr's or rw's?

i mean most of this stuff is going to be movies music blah blah which you should have a copy of already

Getting old? Its not even done yet. :confused:

The concept is to have all this stuff stored so I don't have to pick my lazy ass up off the couch ("hmmm, which movie do I want to watch?" <surf it out>). Not to mention that now every machine on the house network will have access to the music, movies, etc

Originally posted by PS-RagE
Getting old? Its not even done yet. :confused:

The concept is to have all this stuff stored so I don't have to pick my lazy ass up off the couch ("hmmm, which movie do I want to watch?" <surf it out>). Not to mention that now every machine on the house network will have access to the music, movies, etc
]

uhh thats not what he meant....

Edit:
Rember me from years ago?

Lets see... Do you have a 1TB permit? No? Well ill just have to... confiscate these then...

What a drool job, all them drives :)

Anyway, with them being hot swapable, how does that work in the raid? Couldnt 3 drives hold say one file spanned across, so if you swap out a drive you loose that file? Im Confoozled. :confused:

That is one kickass lookin setup you got goin on.... One terrabyte is a dream of mine.. It's not lookin like I'm going to hit there anytime soon but ya just never know. Maybe if I save up $1200, I can get a 5.25" form fitting Terrabyte drive. ;) Yeah, because I have that kind of restraint. :D

Ya know Rage. I think you should just call this your untimat stealth mod. When people ask why you didn't paint it, just tell them you paint it beige.

I always wanted to paint a case beige, just to mess with people...

Looking at the old PSU I find it had right angle Molex connecters!

molex.jpg

So this morning's job will be to pull them off and rebuild the cables on the Enermax

OK, got all the power wiring done. The original Molexes were snipped off at the first plug. The right angle ones were connected to the devices and the wiring punched on at the exact length. There are three seperate runs here. Two groups of three for the HDs and the DVD burner and floppy are on their own.

pwr1.jpg

pwr2.jpg

Next up - IDE cabling

Originally posted by nintari
the IDE Cableing should prove to be a ton of fun lol

hehe yep

i would have gone with PATA>SATA converters on such a large array... and then used like the highpoint 8 channel SATA 64bit PCI-X card... but thats just me :p

Well, that is as neat as that is going to get. I folded and tucked and so on but it will not sit flat underneath. At least it isn't blocking airflow.

ribbon.jpg

The array is initializing now. Been over an hour and it is only at 21%. Then I gotta format it. I can imagine how long that is going to take.

Originally posted by PS-RagE
The array is initializing now. Been over an hour and it is only at 21%. Then I gotta format it. I can imagine how long that is going to take.

aww

you poor thing ;) :p

bastard... and i have like 5Mb free on my arrays =\

400Gb just isnt big enuf anymore :(

man if i had money the things i could do... sigh :( :rolleyes:

Originally posted by MechWarrior
Anyway, with them being hot swapable, how does that work in the raid? Couldnt 3 drives hold say one file spanned across, so if you swap out a drive you loose that file? Im Confoozled. :confused:

^^

They are not hot-swappable - just removeable. The system can tolerate the loss of one drive without losing data. The drive is replaced and the controller rebuilds the array.

i can remember my first computer that was my own in like the 5th grade or so...i was so stoked cuz it had a whopping 400 megs of space...now i'm at 120 gigs on my pc, plenty for me so far tho, not like you you storage freak ;)

i could use one of those. my fileserver is only 120gb:( (i need to get some money so i can buy some 120's to put in raid)

nice wiring job.

Back