RDNA 5 speculation

3D apps still have yet to take the time to make better AMD specific code. CUDA translation to ROCm is only serviceable, until then.

Redshift is why i can never use amd. i mean 43% of a 4090. Jesus. Maybe in 5 years i guess. If ever

Reactions: pavel
like this
Yeah they just needed the software makers to support their cards better. AMD works really well for photo and video apps, now:

View: https://youtu.be/xmsPhb6Tugw?si=pNm-XKR2yNfHeKUm

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIsFqX4LgZI

3D apps still have yet to take the time to make better AMD specific code. CUDA translation to ROCm is only serviceable, until then.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...... I would have bought an AMD gpu - 7900 series by now if AMD was any good at 3D GPUCompute - I mean anything outside the gaming realm - but, they're not really good at anything other than gaming, unfortunately.

It's debatable if they're good at video editing - I've received mixed reports - my main interest ins Davinci Resolve and to a lesser extent, Premiere Pro - but, ppl who have the 7900 XTX and 7900 XT have give both positive and negative feedback/reviews.

For ML, AI, GPGPU Compute/ Blender (especially) - they're a total disaster or just mediocre performance with respect to how much these gpus cost.

I think rumours exist for RDNA 5 timeline (end 2025) & RDNA 4 (H2 2024. As early as jun/july )

No rumours of revision of 7900xt/7900xtx yet. I am just thinking it would be needed to fill the gap till RDNA 5 launches in 2 years
AMD decided not to compete with Nvidia on the upper end/tier - they won't have anything to counter the 5090 - and they are going to gimp their next gen a bit but they claim it will be a bit faster than a 7900 XTX - they'll call it an 8800 XT.

AMD decided not to compete with Nvidia on the upper end/tier - they won't have anything to counter the 5090
Is that not just for RDNA 4 or RDNA 5 as well ? RDNA 5 release date could be the same 12 months as the 5090.

Dunno. I don't put much stock in what AMD says or what statements they release. YMMV.
I am not sure if AMD said anything about any of this, but is any of the link say or imply that RDNA 5 will not compete with a 5090 (or what will be high end around that time) ?

They seem to say:
It's very likely doing RDNA 5 (or Navi 5 if you prefer) for the next-gen consoles. So, it will be the fully funded effort and it will probably be pretty good.
Significant improvements might be reserved for RDNA 5.
RDNA 5 development as latter shows "exciting early performance projections"

Last edited:
I am not sure if AMD said anything about any of this, but is any of the link say or imply that RDNA 5 will not compete with a 5090 (or what will be high end around that time) ?

They seem to say:
It's very likely doing RDNA 5 (or Navi 5 if you prefer) for the next-gen consoles. So, it will be the fully funded effort and it will probably be pretty good.
Significant improvements might be reserved for RDNA 5.
RDNA 5 development as latter shows "exciting early performance projections"
What's the 'equivalent' PC/Desktop gpu for the current gen. (gpu) of consoles?

It amuses me to no end that RDNA4 hasn't even been revealed to the public by AMD yet and we're already talking about it's successor. Still, it's fun to talk about so I'm not knocking it.

Last edited:
It amuses me to no end that RDNA4 hasn't even been revealed to the public by AMD yet and we're already talking about it's successor. Still, it's fun to talk about so I'm not knocking it.
But it's actually "hip" to skip.... so maybe there is no 4.

1707878174711.png

AMD decided not to compete with Nvidia on the upper end/tier - they won't have anything to counter the 5090 - and they are going to gimp their next gen a bit but they claim it will be a bit faster than a 7900 XTX - they'll call it an 8800 XT.
"Gimp"? To gimp would mean they have a massively more powerful ach but choose to disable it to compete at a lower level.
They are simply using an "Un-Gimped" ach that is more power efficient and has a strong $/perf ratio to tackle Nvidia is the mainstream segment.
Seems like a solid strategy while they perfect the chiplet super GPU that hasn't gone so well for them in RDNA3.

It's poorly named, though it's only an internal naming scheme.

RDNA4 is precisely two mid-range cards. The confusion comes because RDNA4 is a mid-gen refresh and not a new product stack.
RDNA5 is a full product stack coming in 2025.

It's poorly named, though it's only an internal naming scheme.

RDNA4 is precisely two mid-range cards. The confusion comes because RDNA4 is a mid-gen refresh and not a new product stack.
RDNA5 is a full product stack coming in 2025.
Define refresh in this instance?

It's not just being at the top of performance chart, RT-PT, and Upscaling tech. On Driver/Software side of things we need counters to NVCP features, GFE features, GRD features, Studio features, RTX Axxxx/Production branch features, RTX VSR, RTX Video HDR, and NVTrueHDR.

Radeon is/was ridiculously way behind GeForce in these aspects. Visual Enthusiasts have been calling for Forceable-AO and other NVCP-alike GFX features since 2009. AMD intentionally ignored Radeon user requests and barely responded to NV gimmicks unless it became huge and affected them directly like PhysX and GameWorks for example.

I think they're planning on high and low versions of both for four cards in the main stack, then APUs for everything lower.

I think they're planning on high and low versions of both for four cards in the main stack, then APUs for everything lower.
LLVM driver updates seem to back speculation that there are only 2 RDNA 4 chips planned as of now

RDNA 5 was originally planned full stack, but it could be limited (high price) above $1200 & full stack at $1000 & below. Of course this is all speculation

Back