Radeon RX Vega Discussion Thread

DPI

[H]F Junkie
Discussion of Radeon RX Vega GPU's..

Last edited:
I'm confused, there's no model numbers or anything. Is it just one GPU or are they going the "Vega X" route again?
Also not an interesting announcement at all: "We'll be calling Vega... Vega."

Also if JHH announces a sub-$700 1080 Ti tonight, I'll be buying it immediately. Sorry AMD that was weak. I'm still onboard for Ryzen, though.

Sub $700 1080ti I will certainly be purchasing. Vega is a day late and a dollar short for me now.

Yeah, the presentation didn't make any sense. There was some VR, some developers, and talk about ice cream, which may have been a thinly veiled allusion to an actual Vega reveal tonight, or may have been Raja just getting excited about ice cream.

The complete lack of product details has been mystifying. I hope tonight they show off an actual product. For now, though: that logo! It looks like angry anime eyes.

AMD-Radeon-RX-Vega-Logo-840x420.png

Radeon is ANGRY!

In hindsight, the move seems similar to the previous GCN lineup of R9 380/X, 390/X, and then R9 Fury and Fury X.

This is just a personal guess, but we might see AMD RX 460, RX 470, RX 480, RX Vega, RX Vega X ? Something similar to that, like R9 Fury and R9 Fury X. I have my doubts they are going to refresh the 460/470/480, there isn't any need to, just add on the RX Vega, and RX Vega (insert clever letter), maybe even 3 skus, I wouldn't be surprised.

Just my own theories right now without knowing anything.

So basically, this kind of lineup has been done before, so there is precedent.

Having an actual name for the high-end, rather than just a product number makes sense from a marketing perspective, the name will catch on in people's minds and be easy to remember.

Radeon RX Vega
Yeah, the presentation didn't make any sense. There was some VR, some developers, and talk about ice cream, which may have been a thinly veiled allusion to an actual Vega reveal tonight, or may have been Raja just getting excited about ice cream.

The complete lack of product details has been mystifying. I hope tonight they show off an actual product. For now, though: that logo! It looks like angry anime eyes.

View attachment 18169

Radeon is ANGRY!

Yar, I definitely got a 'Guts in Berserker armor' vibe from that logo.

They are waiting on 1080ti performance numbers before finalizing Vega clocks I bet. Learned from prior releases. Smart id say, but sucks for us wanting to know...Im not in the market till the fall anyways, ok to wait a little while. looking forward to competition at the highend!

Yeah, AMD's 'After Party' is scheduled for 30 minutes after Nvidia's conference start. I wonder if they're waiting to see what Nvidia presents before giving out hard numbers. Might be a "The hell do we price this thing at to steal Nvidia's thunder?"-style announcement.

Yeah, AMD's 'After Party' is scheduled for 30 minutes after Nvidia's conference start. I wonder if they're waiting to see what Nvidia presents before giving out hard numbers. Might be a "The hell do we price this thing at to steal Nvidia's thunder?"-style announcement.

That would be awesome, AMD just going around kicking everyone in the dick lately lol

I'm hoping the Big Vega is called "Rx Vega xR" so it looks like a Xbox Live GT circa 2006 lol

That would be awesome, AMD just going around kicking everyone in the dick lately lol
Not likely if they had something to announce they would have announced it. Either way Vega is looking like it will come out way too late to properly compete.

Not likely if they had something to announce they would have announced it. Either way Vega is looking like it will come out way too late to properly compete.

Too late to compete with what? We don't have any idea on the specs, it may bitch smack SLI 1080 ti's at a $49 price tag

Too late to compete with what? We don't have any idea on the specs, it may bitch smack SLI 1080 ti's at a $49 price tag
yeah we actually know quite a bit here and I highly doubt it will be that underpriced. They can prove me wrong and more power to them, but they have done nothing to indicate it will be that much better than a 1080 let alone a 1080Ti. We are looking at it competing with a 1080 and 1080ti which could have a significant market lead due to just being available longer

In hindsight, the move seems similar to the previous GCN lineup of R9 380/X, 390/X, and then R9 Fury and Fury X.

This is just a personal guess, but we might see AMD RX 460, RX 470, RX 480, RX Vega, RX Vega X ? Something similar to that, like R9 Fury and R9 Fury X. I have my doubts they are going to refresh the 460/470/480, there isn't any need to, just add on the RX Vega, and RX Vega (insert clever letter), maybe even 3 skus, I wouldn't be surprised.

Just my own theories right now without knowing anything.

So basically, this kind of lineup has been done before, so there is precedent.

Having an actual name for the high-end, rather than just a product number makes sense from a marketing perspective, the name will catch on in people's minds and be easy to remember.

Yea makes perfect sense. They have space for about 3 SKU, cut down to compete with 1070, then something close to 1080 and then 1080ti. May be RX 580 and Then Vega and Vega X. Or they will just have RX 580 RX 590 and then Vega X to top end. Me just guessing as well. I think they can have one at 350, 450, and 550-600 for top end. WE will see. right now RX 480 tops at about 250. So I doubt they only have one card and nothing in between.

just random guessing here but I'm expecting we'll see two versions, that wind up slightly ahead of 1070 & 1080 for lower price. And official price adjustments to the existing RX 400 series.

1080ti will give NVIDIA the edge again, and then 6 ish months from now we'll get second generation Vega which gives AMD the lead. Then Volta for NVIDIA again, then back and forth between the two, each one holding the performance crown for 4-6 months, like it used to be.

just random guessing here but I'm expecting we'll see two versions, that wind up slightly ahead of 1070 & 1080 for lower price. And official price adjustments to the existing RX 400 series.

1080ti will give NVIDIA the edge again, and then 6 ish months from now we'll get second generation Vega which gives AMD the lead. Then Volta for NVIDIA again, then back and forth between the two, each one holding the performance crown for 4-6 months, like it used to be.
Honest question when was the last time AMD actually held the performance crown. They have been behind for along time. Also it is looking like the 1080 ti is going to launch before Vega, so i don't see Vega holding the performance crowd ever. By time AMD releases Vega's successor NVIDIA will be well into 2000 series cards. AMD needs a serious leap start to remain relevant in the GPU space. Radeon needs a Ryzen moment.

Honest question when was the last time AMD actually held the performance crown. They have been behind for along time.

I was going to say Fury, but I just checked a few of the launch reviews and it seemed about even with 980ti, slightly ahead in a few games but slightly behind in more. I thought it had come out a few months before 980ti, not the other way around. So I guess it was the R9 290X, about 3 1/2 years ago now.

which they held on to for a month, till the 780ti was released.

Any amount time AMD had a long time with the performance crown hd7970. So 5 years ago. And that was only for one quarter or so. Prior to that, it was ATi, and the x1800, x1900 series.

Either way it does not look like Vega is going to deliver on this front, being both a die shrink and architecture change i was expecting more.

naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa 5970, to 6990, 7990, 290x for abit 295x2, produo :p

Still no physical card to show or estimated launch date. AMD just doesn't get it.
This is why Nviida continues to rape wallets, because their competition likes to waste time showing game demos with a card we still can't see.

Nvidia CEO walks on stage, shows card, makes lots of cash.
That's how the AMD presentation should go from now on.

Unless Vega is gonna overstep Nvidia's lineup, they are already late. At this point, just make something and price it good enough vs their lineup.

WorldExclusive I agree! They could invite the press to an event. It would be an empty room with a glass case in the middle. Inside the case: new products, cards with clearly written spec sheets, prices, and release dates. No speeches, no presentations, no demos. Just, "here are these things we are going to sell". They wouldn't even need to have anyone around to answer questions. And it would be miles better than all of the Vega events they've done so far.

WorldExclusive I agree! They could invite the press to an event. It would be an empty room with a glass case in the middle. Inside the case: new products, cards with clearly written spec sheets, prices, and release dates. No speeches, no presentations, no demos. Just, "here are these things we are going to sell". They wouldn't even need to have anyone around to answer questions. And it would be miles better than all of the Vega events they've done so far.

You get it.
When you the underdog, results is all that matters.

1080ti has been ready for a while. I am thinking Nvidia has a guess at AMD performance as well. Looks to me like they are expecting big vega to beat the 1080. But this is a brilliant move on their part. They priced the 1080ti at 699.99 which caught me with my pants down. I thought they wouldn't do any price drops until later. But looks like they are going to move shit and shit load of cards while AMD sits on their asses and takes their sweet as time with vega. I mean what the fuck is exactly holding them back announcing anything about Vega? They have shown a working card in demos now, only thing I can think of is that drivers are holding it back. No wonder there was news about 80% of the driver team working on drivers for Vega.

But 1080ti at 699 and same specs as titan x for 699. I am thinking they are expecting big vega to be faster than 1080 hence we see 1080 ti coming out at same specs as titan x and priced at $699 and gtx 1080 at $499. Damn that is gonna move some inventory without any competition. Kicking AMD while they are down. Raja is getting kicked in the nuts right now, looks like so far he is all talk.

"I am gonna make it worth while for the live audience only if they stay until the end" and then announces a fuckin brand name for Vega. Giant fuckin fail! lol

1080ti has been ready for a while. I am thinking Nvidia has a guess at AMD performance as well. Looks to me like they are expecting big vega to beat the 1080. But this is a brilliant move on their part. They priced the 1080ti at 699.99 which caught me with my pants down. I thought they wouldn't do any price drops until later. But looks like they are going to move shit and shit load of cards while AMD sits on their asses and takes their sweet as time with vega. I mean what the fuck is exactly holding them back announcing anything about Vega? They have shown a working card in demos now, only thing I can think of is that drivers are holding it back. No wonder there was news about 80% of the driver team working on drivers for Vega.

But 1080ti at 699 and same specs as titan x for 699. I am thinking they are expecting big vega to be faster than 1080 hence we see 1080 ti coming out at same specs as titan x and priced at $699 and gtx 1080 at $499. Damn that is gonna move some inventory without any competition.

Dude if you think its drivers that is holding Vega's launch back, specifically driver performance at this stage, nada, nope, no.

Dude if you think its drivers that is holding Vega's launch back, specifically driver performance at this stage, nada, nope, no.

Well something is holding it back. May be stability? I don't know about performance cuz it should be good there by now. Regardless Raja is eating shit for dinner today wrapped in his Vega shirt.

Well something is holding it back. May be stability? I don't know about performance cuz its probably good there by now. Regardless Raja is eating shit for dinner today wrapped in his Vega shirt.

Drivers are pretty much ready by the time they get first silicon back, most of the this work is done with the emulator systems they have for the specific graphics card, and first thing they work on when they get the GPU in hand is stability which is usually just tweaks, after that, performance tweaks come in. Look at Polaris, was it "delayed" due to drivers? No they have an internal schedule that can't be sped up that much. Once their plan goes awry because of what the competition does, they will try other things, like push the clocks up to max limits like they did with Fury X.

Probably waiting on HBM2 supply.

Anyway, pretty sure Nvidia just shit on them again. They better put some Vega information out in the next day or two or there's going to be a lot of Ryzen/Geforce buyers who will be set for the next year or more. Vega might flop just on timing, regardless of price/performance.

Drivers are pretty much ready by the time they get first silicon back, most of the this work is done with the emulator systems they have for the specific graphics card, and first thing they work on when they get the GPU in hand is stability which is usually just tweaks, after that, performance tweaks come in. Look at Polaris, was it "delayed" due to drivers? No they have an internal schedule that can't be sped up that much. Once their plan goes awry because of what the competition does, they will try other things, like push the clocks up to max limits like they did with Fury X.

If they push clocks again, RTS needs to be restructured.
The 980Ti was known for being a OC beast. Not leaving any OC room will doom the card shortly after launch.

Probably HBM2 supply.

We were down this road before and realized HBM is a waste of time and money for GPUs right now.
If HBM is holding them back then Raji has to be shown the door. It's like waiting for 24" wheels to be installed on your truck before leaving the dealership, when the stock wheels can get you home just fine right now.

I think HBM is the future, I'm just not sure that future has come yet. Right now, GDDR5X is providing similar bandwidth, for a cheaper price, and no VRAM capacity constraints.

I do think HBM's time will come, but IMO it doesn't make the most logical sense, yet.

Have to agree, Brent_Justice . If they want to differentiate it somehow, just slap 16GB of memory on there and call it a day. HBM can wait a little longer for "fury 2", maybe a mid-cycle vega refresh. Right now they just need something to sell at the higher end.

Fantastic car analogy, WorldExclusive .

Back