Radeon RX 7900 GRE Review

CAD4466HK

2[H]4U
Seems to be 308010GB/6800XT performance and you can only get it in a system build outside of China.

Seems to be 308010GB/6800XT performance and you can only get it in a system build outside of China.

MLID has sources who reckon the RX 7900 GRE will be on shelves in the US as soon as February 27, the start of next week. It's pretty much being rushed out of the door by AMD, and it'll be priced at $549.

it does relatively well for power efficiency compared to the 7800 XT. Also, MLID notes the GRE will probably age better than the latter, and perhaps be slightly faster than the 7800 XT to the tune of 5% or so eventually (it's more or less a dead heat currently).

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/9641...-china-no-ones-that-bothered-about/index.html

we're told to expect low stock levels at least initially - and it sounds like AMD is testing the waters more than anything. MLID has heard that if the RX 7900 GRE shifts well enough, then Team Red will be beefing up stock levels (which makes sense - as much as available silicon will allow, anyway).

Apparently, we can expect RX 7900 GRE graphics cards from ASRock, PowerColor and XFX. (And oddly, not GIGABYTE, which was the board maker that VideoCardz has mentioned as having an inbound version of the 7900 GRE - although maybe that'll come soon after, or MLID's source has it wrong).

AMD's China-Only Radeon RX 7900 GRE 16GB Debuts: Navi 31 with Cut-Down Memory​

EDIT:

During AMD’s presentation at China Joy in Shanghai, China, the much-anticipated Radeon RX 7900 GRE “Golden Rabbit Edition” was officially announced. This new graphics card is equipped with the Navi 31 GPU, which has slightly fewer cores compared to the 7900 XT models. It will be shipped with 16 GB of memory.

end EDIT

@wxnod has just published pictures of Sapphire's Radeon RX 7900 GRE

ScrubWiki revealed its specifications:

(China-exclusive) Radeon RX 7900 GRE is based on the Navi 31 GPU with 5376 5120 stream processors enabled and running at 1.50 1.2 GHz – 2.40 2.2 GHz, which is the same configuration as that of the Radeon RX 7900 XT.

There is one important difference though. The Radeon RX 7900 GRE disables one more memory controller die (MCD) and therefore comes with 16GB of GDDR6 memory along with a 256-bit memory interface.

As a result, AMD's Radeon RX 7900 GRE can boast the same 32 FP32 TFLOPS – 51.6 FP32 TFLOPS (base – boost) compute horsepower as the Radeon RX 7900 XT, yet it only has 64MB of Infinity Cache (with bandwidth reduced to 2.56 GB/s) as well as 16GB of memory (with bandwidth reduced to 640 MB/s).

When it comes to Sapphire's Nitro+ Radeon RX 7900 GRE, this graphics board features two eight-pin auxiliary PCIe power connectors and is rated for around 300W thermal graphics power (TGP). To cool down the rather hot Navi 31 GRE GPU, Sapphire uses a rather large 2.5-wide triple-fan cooling system, which is considerably thinner than the company uses on its Nitro+ Radeon RX 7900 XT.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-radeon-rx-7900-gre-debuts

Hmm...

My secondary system could use an upgrade, the RTX 2080 is getting a little long in the tooth. Tempted, it would let me go all AMD in both PCs. It's that or Intel ARC, likely. Now that Nvidia is an "AI" company first and foremost they won't get any more money from me.

AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE Review Conclusion​

It's fair to say the Radeon RX 7900 GRE offers better value than the RTX 4070 in a lot of situations and beats the more expensive RTX 4070 Super in plenty of graphs too, likely where having a bit of extra memory comes in handy. It proved to be equally adept at dealing with high frame rates at 1080p as it did dealing with demanding games at 4K, giving you some headroom if you upgrade to a higher resolution display in future.

The RX 7900 XT didn't always offer much benefit, but there were plenty of situations where it was significantly ahead, especially at higher resolutions and worth considering if you have an extra $150 or so. Similarly, the RX 7900 GRE often offers much higher frame rates than the RX 7800 XT and is worth splashing out a little more for. As always, it's impossible to test every game, but in the titles tested here at least, the Radeon RX 7900 GRE offers better value than Nvdia's closest options and should help to put further downward pressure on pricing.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antony...than-rtx-4070-and-4070-super/?sh=d8ab09b4daae

Hmmm...

I literally just ordered a 7800 XT (Powercolor Hellhound for $500) for my wife.

Worth waiting to see if the GRE cards land at $550 by next week?

Hmmm...

I literally just ordered a 7800 XT (Powercolor Hellhound for $500) for my wife.

Worth waiting to see if the GRE cards land at $550 by next week?
Is (possible) 5% more perf worth waiting a week or longer and paying $50 or more over what you got?

If the ratio of XT and XTX at launch was worrisome, this seem to be pointing to some issue, which I am not sure I get...

This is 80 CU of the best gaming GPU AMD ever made, ship with 6 MCD, does it beat a small 4070 super........ a little bit and sell for $550 locking the frequency down to not mess up the product stack too much.

Just a big plus and nice for the customer too, but I doubt that was planned.

This seem to have better fps per dollars at $550 MSRP (if they exist) than a 7800xt, when better performance cost less it is always a good deal in how those market usually goes. And could be a sign that they will not have some big oversupply left of 7900xt when they launch the RDNA 4

If the ratio of XT and XTX at launch was worrisome, this seem to be pointing to some issue, which I am not sure I get...

This is 80 CU of the best gaming GPU AMD ever made, does it beat a small 4070 super........ a little bit and sell for $550 locking the frequency down to not mess up the product stack too much.

Just a big plus and nice for the customer too, but I doubt that was planned.

This seem to have better fps per dollars at $550 MSRP (if they exist) than a 7800xt, when better performance cost less it is always a good deal in how those market usually goes.
This was actually a laptop GPU just like the 6500 xt. That is why it feels so odd.

AMD again making lemonade out of a lemon

the RX 7900 GRE absolutely destroys the RX 6900 XT in both efficiency and performance, showing what the change from RDNA 2 to 3 has delivered. There is no reason to buy a 6900 XT or 6950 XT anymore unless you get one second hand or at a fire sale.

https://www.pcgamer.com/sapphire-nitro-radeon-rx-7900-gre-review-performance-benchmarks/

the RX 7900 GRE absolutely destroys the RX 6900 XT in both efficiency and performance,
+7.5% at 1440p, +6% at 4k on the techpowerup set of titles.... +5% in min fps

Absolutely destroy seem a bit of a strong word, in RT it is a nice jump too.

I am not sure we can make an strong argument that the 7900GRE is tied to a 3090, which I am not sure we can say absolutely destroyed the 6900XT back in the days or now, indeed you want a 6900xt to offer a nice rebate to not go for the 7900GRE (can imagine pushing it at $415-440 or so on the used market depending on the brand? depending on the tax it is a nice rebate)

Last edited:
Really mixed reviews. HUB wasn't a fan, Digital Foundary thought it was the best gpu to come out in a while.

It's a shame that I that it has even slower memory than the 7800xt. Seems to be holding the card back to near 7800xt levels depending on the scenario.

Did... Did we need this?
Really don't know why the $500 - $600 range needs so much overlap. Why - so we can play some poorly coded AAA title at 1080p?

What we need is a 7700 non-xt for around $350 with both 7600 cards dropping $30 or so.

It's time game developers work again to match the hardware most have while still being impressive instead of GPU makers trying to keep up with their poorly developed trash.

Really don't know why the $500 - $600 range needs so much overlap. Why - so we can play some poorly coded AAA title at 1080p?

What we need is a 7700 non-xt for around $350 with both 7600 cards dropping $30 or so.

It's time game developers work again to match the hardware most have while still being impressive instead of GPU makers trying to keep up with their poorly developed trash.
While I agree that some games aren't well optimised, there ARE "medium" settings for a reason. If a 2024 game's "Medium" looks as good as a 2020 games "Ultra", it makes sense that it would run the same, Right?

But more importantly, I agree that We need more sub $300 cards. I swear, we're getting pinky-nail sized silicon with a 32bit memory bus and a PCB thinner than paper being sold as a "X060 Ti OC BLACK EDITION" for $500+

Like silicon area and memory interface has more in common with a GT1030.

The performance gap between the 7600xt and 7700xt is quite big (40%), price gap as well, if the 6650xt-6700xt stock get completely dry, something there will need to be launched.

While I agree that some games aren't well optimised, there ARE "medium" settings for a reason. If a 2024 game's "Medium" looks as good as a 2020 games "Ultra", it makes sense that it would run the same, Right?

But more importantly, I agree that We need more sub $300 cards. I swear, we're getting pinky-nail sized silicon with a 32bit memory bus and a PCB thinner than paper being sold as a "X060 Ti OC BLACK EDITION" for $500+

Like silicon area and memory interface has more in common with a GT1030.
I encourage you to watch 5he DF review of Skull and Bones. 720p native for PS5 in 'Performance' mode. It's getting REALLY bad.

7900 GRE for $650 is a joke. You can pick up the 7900XT forr $699 in some cases. And the 6800XT for $530 is a far better value.

Again AMD fails to deliver a part that will capture the market because of weird pricing schemes.

7900 GRE for $650 is a joke.
Not in the summer of 2023 (msrp of 7900xtx-xt were quite high in china), it is around $550 now for the US launch, at least that should be the starting price.

I encourage you to watch 5he DF review of Skull and Bones. 720p native for PS5 in 'Performance' mode. It's getting REALLY bad.
I'm not exactly hurt about a terrible game being terribly optimised. All of the games that are great, generation-defining hall-of-fame status are usually a bit more frustrating when they don't optimise well, but also, its more rare for a genuinely good game to be terribly optimised.

This Radeon RX 7900 GRE launch is more about availability and pricing than anything else, and it makes sense to bring over the Golden Rabbit Edition now that it appears that the RX 6950 XT is finally fading away. Indeed, the 6950 XT had been available until very recently at the same $549 USD price point as this 7900 GRE, but a look at Newegg as I write this shows those cards as “out of stock” now.

https://pcper.com/2024/02/sapphire-pure-radeon-rx-7900-gre-review-enter-the-golden-rabbit/

Conclusion​

it can offer some entry-level 4K support if you’re willing to drop the settings down a notch.

On average, the RX 7900 GRE is 14 percent faster than Nvidia’s RTX 4070 at 4K. That’s a comfortable gap, and it makes it more tempting for 4K, especially if you’ve already got a 1440p monitor and you’re thinking of going 4K soon. Nvidia’s RTX 4070 Super certainly closes the gap on the RX 7900 GRE at 4K, though, winning in most tests.

The 16GB of VRAM even gives you room for 4K gaming at lower settings or just the ease of mind that you’re not going to suffer any issues if you crank up the graphics settings, even at 1440p.

We’ve already seen games like Diablo IV and The Last of Us Part I push past 12GB of VRAM usage at 1440p, so there are bound to be more this year and beyond. That makes 16GB of VRAM at this performance target much more essential unless you’re happy to drop the graphics settings slightly.

https://www.theverge.com/24083386/amd-radeon-rx-7900-gre-review-benchmarks-price

AMD RX 7900 GRE review: the best AMD GPU this generation ???​

Ray tracing is still Nvidia’s game, but the RX 7900 GRE has enough chops to keep up with Nvidia’s offerings around this price. You’re giving up some ray tracing performance, but you’re gaining better performance in titles without ray tracing, which still represents a majority of games you’ll likely play on the graphics card.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/amd-rx-7900-review/

Is (possible) 5% more perf worth waiting a week or longer and paying $50 or more over what you got?

From the TPU summary charts, it actually looks more like +10% performance for +10% more money.

What I need to dig in a bit more on is power and thermals (this will go in an SFF build), and then actually seeing if there is availability at MSRP this week...

7700 XT was $350, 2 or 3 weeks ago:

https://www.techpowerup.com/318865/...5-threatening-rtx-4060-ti-and-rx-7600-xt?cp=3

Last edited:
Sapphire models listed on Amazon, for about the price you'd expect... keeping my eyes peeled for others 👀

1709023949807.png

Pricing this gen seems to have been a function of stocks of previous gen cards remaining on shelves.

Now that prev gen cards are getting sold out, we are seeing better prices. For ex. The 7900 GRE launched at $650, in China last year, but now down to $550 .

The same will apply to all other cards too. & towards the end of the year, battlemage & RDNA 4 will put further pricing pressure on 7900 XT & below

On reflection then, the RX 7900 GRE isn't necessarily a bad product, but it's not a particularly great one either.

If the RX 7900 GRE restored a $100 price differential between itself and the 4070 Super, then it would instantly look a lot more attractive. As things stand, I imagine most buyers would be happy paying a $50 premium for the RTX 4070 Super given its aforementioned advantages.

https://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/dominic-moass/amd-rx-7900-gre-review/39/

On reflection then, the RX 7900 GRE isn't necessarily a bad product, but it's not a particularly great one either.

If the RX 7900 GRE restored a $100 price differential between itself and the 4070 Super, then it would instantly look a lot more attractive. As things stand, I imagine most buyers would be happy paying a $50 premium for the RTX 4070 Super given its aforementioned advantages.

https://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/dominic-moass/amd-rx-7900-gre-review/39/

Choosing between the 7900 GRE & 4070 super might come down to how often & which games you play with RTX on vs how often you play at 1440p ultra or 4K upscaled, I guess.

From the TPU summary charts, it actually looks more like +10% performance for +10% more money.

The Powercolor HH model is ~$615 with tax on Amazon, vs. the $530 I paid for the 7800 XT (i.e., about +16%), which I think makes it not worth it for me.

It's also not clear if the cooler is the same (for fit), because although the listed dimensions on Amazon are the same between the two cards, the GRE is a full pound heavier somehow!

Any ideas if these cards are using the 7800 XT boards / coolers, or that of the 7900 XT/X?

1709049567755.png

1709049588557.png

Back