R9 290x black screen

My 290 has not black screened while playing a game or any 3D application, however it will freeze my screen, cut to black, and return to normal (about a 10 second pause) every time I lock windows or have the UAC window appear.

Is this possibly related?

FYI, this resolved itself with a reinstall of the drivers. No clue what was going on, but hasn't happened since and I have yet to see a black screen in 10+hrs of BF4 (1440p at high).

Hey guys,

i also have the problem with the R9 290X (i´ve already posted here: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2955065218069487298/5/)

After three days of testing, i can confirm that i have no black screens while playing CoD4 which is a DX9 only game.

DX11 games like BF4, Borderlands 2, CoD Ghosts cause black screens randomly (regarding time).

My system:
FX 8350 @ 4,6 (black screens also occur at stock speed)
XFX R9 290X uber mode (black screens also occur in quiet mode)
Win 8.1
Driver: latest beta driver

I don't know if this is related, but this is what happens to me.

When my system is idle and I shake the mouse to turn the screen back on (pc is not sleeping), the screen doesn't turn on. Pressing the power button the pc turns off normal. The screen just doesn't turn back on from being idle.

Hey guys,

i also have the problem with the R9 290X (i´ve already posted here: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2955065218069487298/5/)

After three days of testing, i can confirm that i have no black screens while playing CoD4 which is a DX9 only game.

DX11 games like BF4, Borderlands 2, CoD Ghosts cause black screens randomly (regarding time).

My system:
FX 8350 @ 4,6 (black screens also occur at stock speed)
XFX R9 290X uber mode (black screens also occur in quiet mode)
Win 8.1
Driver: latest beta driver

This appears to be happening to me as well, I seem to be able to play older games just fine, but newer games like BF4 give me the black screen problem.

This looks to me like it's not hardware related, unless it is something in the hardware relating to direct-x version.

Keep in mind I have a non-x version of the 290, but the problems do seem the same as many others posting here.

This appears to be happening to me as well, I seem to be able to play older games just fine, but newer games like BF4 give me the black screen problem.

This looks to me like it's not hardware related, unless it is something in the hardware relating to direct-x version.

Keep in mind I have a non-x version of the 290, but the problems do seem the same as many others posting here.

Hi,

just tried it again after a 4 hour break: no black screen (CoD4)!

I even used Radeon Pro to make sure that the card is constantly running at 1000/1250 Mhz for maximum heat.

About to send it back working on the RMA now, card seems to work when I turn the settings down to standard "in game - ff14", so if anyone is looking for a sad temp fix, try that.

Last edited:
Mine is going back to the store either this evening or tomorrow, still not sure.

I also wouldn't say he got it fixed just yet, I can also play one night of Battlefield 4 or any other game when the card wants to work. :)

Before sending it for RMA I want the store to assure me I'll get one with Hynix memory.

I have about 6 more days before my 30 days is up for me to RMA it back to newegg. I set my FFXIV settings to "Desktop High" as oppose to max, and it crashed after 2 minutes :(. Well the crashes are random but it the crashing really deters me from playing.

Wow this reminds me of the GSOD issue they had back in the 5870 days. Kyle even got involved and was able to get owners (including me) to get RMA's going, and AMD admitted to the issue.

Maybe you guys can get Kyle involved. It helped last time an issue like this came up with AMD.

slowly working threw the settings for ff14 to see how far I can push it from standard to full, so far it seems like everything is working, all but the setting at the very first for HDR if I turn that on it crashes for sure. troubleshooting is so fun!
"half done with this project"

Has anyone gotten a whole computer reboot?? Secondtime this has happened, whole computer just turns off, then back on by itself. Never happened before I got the 290x. Anything I can do? Seems random.

Sharing my experience:
I having the same issue. (Sapphire R9 290, Elpida memory, all stock settings, CPU and GPU)

After a cold boot, I will usually get a black screen within 1 hour (hard lock up on PC). After resetting, computer will run fine for hours. I have tested this on 2 games, Bioshock Infinite and BF4. However, I could not replicate the black screen for some strange reason when I am running Valley or Kombuster stress test.

UEFI mode, Window 7 64 bit, 144Hz monitor.

Just a heads up AMD added a new catalyst download yesterday just for the 290 series, "win 7 64bit for me. not sure on the others" not sure if it will fix any problems but good luck everyone.

I don't know if this is related, but this is what happens to me.

When my system is idle and I shake the mouse to turn the screen back on (pc is not sleeping), the screen doesn't turn on. Pressing the power button the pc turns off normal. The screen just doesn't turn back on from being idle.

I've had that also. First time it happened when Windows rebooted it installed some patch, so I thought that might be related, but then it happened again later.

Just repackage my R9 290x, ready for shipping tomorrow. Can't wait to find out whether it's a driver issue or not.

Luckily I didn't sell my 5870s yet.

Just a heads up AMD added a new catalyst download yesterday just for the 290 series, "win 7 64bit for me. not sure on the others" not sure if it will fix any problems but good luck everyone.
Where did you see this? AMD's site is still listing the 13.11b9.2 driverset...

Has anyone gotten a whole computer reboot?? Secondtime this has happened, whole computer just turns off, then back on by itself. Never happened before I got the 290x. Anything I can do? Seems random.

Yes I had those reboots a few times.

The store recieved my card today and will check it then most likely replace it, will let you know once new card is here.

Also over at OcUK.

Hello everyone,

Our Customer Support and Driver Teams have been aware of this problem and been working on it; they collected lots of feedback from our Support Forums, which has been very helpful.

I'd also like to thank those of you who have reached out to me directly via PM (i.e. weldon855) to provide more details about the issue.

We are going to release a new driver tomorrow which will fix the black screen problem you've been experiencing.

Thank you very much for your patience

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=25339455&postcount=368

So I wasted my time sending my card to RMA then (Which I'll recieve a new one tomorrow...). Great.

That's why I chose to wait with RMA-ing, but then again I wasn't anywhere close to my 30-day period.

I know, I waited over a week and decided to send it on Monday.

Luckily they were fast and already sent a brand new one which I'll recieve tomorrow morning, I just hope it overclocks as good as previous one.

I know, I waited over a week and decided to send it on Monday.

Luckily they were fast and already sent a brand new one which I'll recieve tomorrow morning, I just hope it overclocks as good as previous one.

Jesus, who did you buy your card from? I went with NewEgg and bought an RMA return label through them, shipped out on Thursday and hasn't even been received yet.. Sounds like I'll go through your retailer next time.

Pothole:

Warsam71 said:
Hello everyone (@Arizonian)

I apologize, I just wanted to let you know we need a few more days to post the driver. I will make sure to keep you up-to-date on our progress...

To be fair this doesn't necessarily negate "end of this week," but...

Jesus, who did you buy your card from? I went with NewEgg and bought an RMA return label through them, shipped out on Thursday and hasn't even been received yet.. Sounds like I'll go through your retailer next time.

I live in Spain, bought it from Pccomponentes.

I requested an RMA on Sunday, they gave me the label on Monday, I shipped it in the evening, they recieved it on Tuesday morning, and they shipped a brand new one on Tuesday evening.

I should have recieved it today, but they sent it via 48 hour delivery instead of 24h, but even then, that was quite a fast RMA. :D

I have a Sapphire R9 290 with Elpdia ram as well. I am getting the random black screens as well. At first I thought it was the Win8.1 installation as I remember a time before the new gfx card where I needed to do a hard reset while watching a youtube video.

I just noticed the trend of black screens during gameplay today (got the card yesterday). Hopefully it is a drivers issue and not hardware as I really don't want to deal with the RMA hassle.

Any news on when those supposed fixes for this issues is arriving?

Cheers.

I request my RMA a couple days ago right before I saw that they are releasing drivers to fix it. My shipping label is going to expire next Monday so I'm going to wait it out.

Hopefully drivers come out "end of this week", I can test it over the weekend. If it works, then I won't ship it back. If it still black screens, I'll ship it Monday.

Update with this card and FF14. turned all the way up except the HDR/ first option and still no black screen, will finish it by tomorrow, but smooth so far for me.

I just got my replacement card (With Elpida vram as well) and it has the same f*cking problem, as soon as I load a game it'll instantly black screen!!!

Oh, and I had written my previous card's S/N to make sure they didn't send me the same one, this one is brand new.

I just got my replacement card (With Elpida vram as well) and it has the same f*cking problem, as soon as I load a game it'll instantly black screen!!!

Oh, and I had written my previous card's S/N to make sure they didn't send me the same one, this one is brand new.

thats just horrible.

It just seems odd that this is a driver issue. Whenever I black screen I have to do a full power off and power on. When I press my reset button it does not work.

Back