Quick Question - Windows and SATA

Sydek

Weaksauce
Okay I have done this before, but I cannot remember how to do it again. I have a Windows installed on a 120GB IDE and a 80GB SATA with other data.

I want to reformat the PC, but instead of having Windows on my 120 IDE, I want it on the 80 SATA. But when I get to the part that allows me to select a drive to install a fresh copy of WinXP, I cannot see/select the 80GB SATA.

I do not have a floppy drive, and I remember I did this a while back without having to insert the files onto a CD or whatever. How do I get past this problem?

Thanks.

get a program called nLite (it requires the .Net Framework to run)
that will allow you to slipstream the SATA drivers for your bboard into the XP installation.
then ue nLite to create a bootable ISO of the new XP build and burn it off.
bobs your uncle

You can also load your SATA drivers before the install process starts. I believe if you put the XP disc in and boot from it there will be a slight pause and it will ask you to press a key to install 3rd party disc controllers, etc.

HotBBQ said:
You can also load your SATA drivers before the install process starts. I believe if you put the XP disc in and boot from it there will be a slight pause and it will ask you to press a key to install 3rd party disc controllers, etc.

Correct. Put your drivers for your SATA controller on a floppy and during setup it will ask you at the first to install a 3rd party drive press F6.

So you do need a floppy drive to install a fresh copy of the OS? Can it be done if you don't have a floppy drive? i.e., boot from a CD that contains the win98 boot information, then install the SATA drivers from a CD or from a USB memory key?

If you get a new P965 motherboard, will you still need to install the SATA drivers before installing a fresh copy of the OS?

OR

do u only need the SATA drivers IFF you are using a RAID setup?

For Intel chipsets you've never needed to install anything during setup, unless you're using a RAID array.

Back