Questions about upcoming motherboards/chipsets

Clockworks

Supreme [H]ardness
So I'm trying to understand the upcoming sockets/chipsets Intel will release in the next 2 or so years.

- Z68/LGA1155 is the latest for Sandy Bridge mainstream
- X79/LGA2011 is the latest for Sandy Bridge performance

Will Ivy Bridge support 1155 when it's released in Q2 or will it be a new socket for mainstream? What socket will replace 1155 and when?

Thank you.

At this time it does appear that socket 1155 will be the socket of choice for mainstream processors for some time to come. After that who knows what the future might hold technology.

Pretty much. LGA1155 will be around for some time. Will it have a 3, 4, or 5 year life span like LGA775 did. Doubtful. But it won't be as short lived as other sockets have been. (Like LGA1155.)

Pretty much. LGA1155 will be around for some time. Will it have a 3, 4, or 5 year life span like LGA775 did. Doubtful. But it won't be as short lived as other sockets have been. (Like LGA1155.)

I think you mean LGA1156 (I hope).

So what of this mystical Panther Point chipset from Intel, aside from an additional SATA III port and native USB 3 (a whopping 4 ports.....ooooo), what else is there? Is there even a difference between a native USB port and one that was made by NEC, for example?

oh this is wonderful. i was worried about buying my 2500k now since ivy bridge is going to release in the next few months, but now i can just upgrade if and when i feel like it without getting a new mobo too =P.

I think you mean LGA1156 (I hope).

So what of this mystical Panther Point chipset from Intel, aside from an additional SATA III port and native USB 3 (a whopping 4 ports.....ooooo), what else is there? Is there even a difference between a native USB port and one that was made by NEC, for example?

I did. The two are so damned similar.

And a native USB 3.0 solution would probably be faster. It would more benefit the motherboard manufacturers than anything as it would allow easier integration of USB 3.0 as a feature. They wouldn't have to dedicate space and firmware resources to third party chips.

Back