Question about the 360's die shrink date?

dreamcast87

Limp Gawd
I've read a few articles about the 360 getting a die shink on their cpu. I was just wondering if this has happened yet or if not when do they plan on doing it? (i'd like to hold off on purchasing one till after the units with the new chips are released) . Thanks in advance.

And what are the benefits of this smaller chip? I assume it'll run a bit cooler, and maybe speed up 1080i gameplay?

I think people are hoping for it as it's simply like a "rev2" console, and cooler running could = less noise.

There isn't really much benefit from the die shrink, except that it is then cheaper for microsoft to make them.

The chip could be cooler running, or it could be about the same. Die shrinks are not always a guaranteed drop in power consumption. It wont be any faster that is for sure, and the noise from the 360 isn't coming from the fans it is mainly coming from the DVD drive they have in the system so even if the chip was cooler running you wouldn't notice any significant drop off in noise from slowing the fans (which already run at 5V anyways).

Cooler running would be nice, considering some 360 users have run into heat issues (I haven't yet, just a launch system where the HD died the second week I had it, but EB was able to replace it in a day).

It will probably allow MS to make the console cheaper, but I doubt prices will drop till the PS3 release, or maybe the Wii release depending on how successful that is.

it would definetly keep alot of people form making the mistake by shoving it in an enclosed area and forgetting about it.

Back