q9550 oc

• Thread starter Deleted member 89137
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 89137

I am curious how high people have gotten these cpu's. I have been running at 3.6 for the past few days and my temps are maxing out around 65c. I had it at 3.7 for a while but the ambient temp was getting really hot in my room and my cpu was hitting around 90c so I had to step it back, but I think I am going to try pushing it a bit more.

Also, I've read some stuff about disabling certain technologies such as vanderpool and c1e... Is it worth it?

I am currently at 3.7 stable. My max temp is 55c (under load). I can get to 3.8 stable, but the increase in temps for 100mhz was not worth it. I originally thought my board (see sig) was holding me back. I now believe my ram is the limiting factor.

I previously had this ram in my Q6600 rig. My max o/c was 3.2 on the Q6600. After putting this ram in my Q9550 rig, and using slower ram in my Q6600 rig, I now run the Q6600 at 3.4 stable.

What's bizarre is my G.Skill DDR2 1000 was underclocked at 1:1 on both rigs. Oh well.

Last edited:
elite.mafia, I have seen people posting results at >4 GHz with them, but you are going to have to have a board and ram that can run those speeds. I would suggest that you temporarily back the multi down to 6 or so and see what kind of fsb headroom your board and ram give you. Once you know what your max fsb speed is with your setup, then you can start exploring what your max overclock is with that Q9550. Also, you definitely need to improve your cooling if you are hitting 90C. You don't list what your present hsf is but it also sounds like you have a cooling problem in your room also, from what you posted. You will need to control ambient temps to keep everything cooled down properly.

Also, I've read some stuff about disabling certain technologies such as vanderpool and c1e... Is it worth it?

NO, there is no need to disable any power saving features to get a good overclock.

With anything less than an a P45 you're probably going to run into an FSB limit before anything else. Even with a P45 the FSB becomes the wall often enough. What is your FSB at right now?

You said your chip hit 90C but under what context? At 4.4Ghz my CPU will hit 90C nearly instantly if I run Intel Burntest. However with Prime95 I'll easily be 5-10C lower than that and in real games I typically top out at about 70C. If you are seeing 90C in an actual game that certainly is a problem.

I've been running mine at 3.825GHz for almost two years now. Your temperature issues at higher speeds are probably caused by either insufficient cooling or voltages that are too high. What heatsink are you using and what are your other overclock settings when you try to go past 3.6GHz?

I have question about same CPU. Friend has IP35 that's not posting a working Q9550. Pop in the old E8400 & it posts. Pop Q9550 in diff board it works. I told him to clear CMOS & try again.
Good advice? Or should he try something else?

I have question about same CPU. Friend has IP35 that's not posting a working Q9550. Pop in the old E8400 & it posts. Pop Q9550 in diff board it works. I told him to clear CMOS & try again.
I don't believe the IP35 officially supports 45nm quad-core CPUs. If I remember correctly, there's a beta BIOS out there that will add support and fix the problem.

That's the IP35-E ... he's using a IP35 .... anyways the board supprts a E8400 45nm dualcore. So why not a 45 nm quadcore?

Last edited:
I think it's been modded but I have no way of knowing for sure. According to this thread:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1436251&highlight=q9550+p35

The IP35's had to have the bios modded to accept the E0 stepping of the Q9550. I have a IP35V that just had to have the bios flashed to a modded bios to accept my Q9550 E0. I think when you boot the bios and look at the top of the screen it'll tell the version. I can't remember if it just had a lower case b or said beta on it.

Thanks for thread jacking?

My specs are in my sig, asus p5e x38, arctic freezer 7 pro

settings used

1.31 vcore @ 3.6ghz bus @ 425mhz c1e and speedstep disabled
5-5-5-15 850mhz on the memory.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elite Mafia, I have the same motherboard you do with the Q9550. I could not get it stable past a FSB of 459Mhz, which I've come to the conclusion that it is a limit of the motherboard. I had a thread a couple weeks ago detailing my situation. My max core temps at 3.91Ghz via Core Temp while running Intel Burn Test is 61c. I have a Zalman 9700 with AS5 in a HAF 932 case, the ambient air temp in this room 78f.

I've got mine at 3.5ghz with an ancient board :D. I top out at ~72C in BOINC after about 5 hours. I can definitely go higher (I've had it at 3.6) but it gets too hot. Can't wait til winter.

I guess my 3.62 ghz OC will have to suffice... kezzerxir are you sure it's not the memory???

With my new RAM purchase I have recently got my q9550 C1 up to 3.93Ghz P95 stable. Though it runs up to 72C when gaming. :eek: (Hit 89C while P95 ran, but still passed.)

I will be water cooling to lower those in a month or so, and hopefully allowing me to hit 4Ghz.

I "had" mine @ 3.4 on stock voltage. I got the E0 stepping, but put it back to stock as there was no need. Also mine was on water 1/2 inch tubing. I never took temps on it though.

I've had mine @ 4ghz (417 fsb) for a while now. Idle's around 40c with a H50 in a regular config. My case is a kind of a heat trap though. Probably going to move to a Silverstone Raven 2 or Fortress 2 soon.

Ummm.... 4ghz takes a 470mhz fsb on the q9550. The 8.5 multiplier will do that...

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=33924&processor=Q9550&spec-codes=SLAWQ,SLB8V

I keep mine at 3.825ghz - 450mhz fsb, 1.25v in the BIOS, 1.22 according to OCCT, load temps in high sixties/low seventies on a H50 w/ push/pull fans blowing out of my CoolerMaster Scout.

I've had it up to 4.25ghz with a 500mhz fsb but the required voltage and load temps ramp up way too fast for my taste.

Mine is at 3.2GHz at 1.15V. Using a H50 (stock config but maybe mounted not the way Corsair suggested) its average idle is about 35° C in a HAF 922. VID is 1.25V

I could probably go quite a big higher but I like it to use little energy as its most web browsing being done. I think my VID is pretty high also.

I've had mine @ 4ghz (417 fsb) for a while now. Idle's around 40c with a H50 in a regular config. My case is a kind of a heat trap though. Probably going to move to a Silverstone Raven 2 or Fortress 2 soon.

What voltage? And for the idle is that the lowest core or an average?

I guess my 3.62 ghz OC will have to suffice... kezzerxir are you sure it's not the memory???

3.6ghz is just fine, why are you going for more? When I put my E8400 from 3.6-4.2ghz the performance increase wasn't worth the extra heat and voltage so I backed it down to 3.6ghz

I think with a quad 3.6ghz should be just fine

40° C seems pretty good for an average idle at that voltage/speed. Mine is only 5° cooler at way less speed/voltage in a well ventilated case. Though I don't use my top fan (only front). Guess I'll start running that and see if it makes a difference :p

I'm usually in the low 70° F range for ambient temps also

I have mine at 3.5 stable with two voltage 'bumps' and my temps never hit over 52c. I think thats a pretty good overclock considering the mobo I am using. :D Really, these CPUs are incredible overclockers.

What do the EO 9550's usually do at stock voltage?
FWIW my EO 8400 will do 3.7 stock.

well i got mine to 3.5 with a voltage decrease its @1.17 right now stock is 1.25 if im right

so I changed mine to 3400MHz with EIST

It was at 3200MHz locked at 1.125V and 8X multiplier. Turned on C1E and EIST, upped it to 8.5X and changed Vcore to Normal. I think I will stay there. Voltage during Prime95 runs around 1.16 to 1.18V (according to cpuz)

going to be putting one of these in a evga 780i with modded NB cooling, IE plastic washers under screws to keep the sink tight to the chips along with as5 and a 70cf fan mounted on an arm 2 inches above the NB, my ram will do up to 926 with good timmings so im hoping for 455-465 fsb should end somewhere around 3.9 that is if my freezer7 pro is up to the task

Back