Python and C++ questions

JC0724

Weaksauce
I am in a software engineering class working on a group project with a few other students.

I have been tasks with doing some things that are fairly new to me. I apologize if my questions are unclear. I am still trying to understand some of this stuff myself.

We are writing the code for this project in python or C++, not sure yet.

My questions are

1st. How do you create a library file in Python and C++?

2nd. How do you port your code over to a mobile device?

3rd and last. I will being dealing with social Networking data analysis or social data analysis(or something like that). I was told that Python and C++ will have libraries that have APIs that handle multiple tasks dealing with this type of data. Example Splitting the data into multiple segments and organizing the data?

I strongly suggest you avoid C++ unless the project requires it because it will likely take longer. Take a look at http://learnpythonthehardway.org/ to quickly read about Python.

There are examples on virtually any method of programming if you do a broad search with Google or similar.

1st. How do you create a library file in Python and C++?
In Python, you'll create a module with an extension of .py. In your application, you will import this module. See Python's documentation on modules for the version of Python you're using.. In C++, this varies depending on your needs and preferences. Typically, I'd argue that you should consider providing declarations and definitions in a single .h file (for a "single header library"), but this is not the only approach, nor is it always the most desirable. In your application, you will include this header.

2nd. How do you port your code over to a mobile device?
Depends entirely on the platform in question.

I was told that Python and C++ will have libraries that have APIs that handle multiple tasks dealing with this type of data. Example Splitting the data into multiple segments and organizing the data?
It's hard to answer that question without knowing specifically what "this type of data" refers to. The libraries you'll use will vary depending on how you need to access the data and in what kind of representation, not the values or the context of the data itself.

Ok so what do I use to actually write python in? Like I use eclipse for Java, Visual Studio for C++.

NetworkX is the library I will use according to my professor. Has anybody ever used it before? Any good tutorials out there?

Most of the people at my company use Eclipse but it doesn't matter. You can use any text editor. If you go to python.org, you can see some of the options.

Back