PSA: XPosed Framework for Lollipop Working

CHANG3D

Supreme [H]ardness
Last edited:
I saw this earlier and got very excited as well. I was planning on staying on Kitkat until Xposed got updated for Lollipop too, hah. Seems like it'll be just in time for the Verizon One M8 Lollipop update! :D

I know I could go ahead and throw a Sense or M8 GPE Lollipop ROM on it now, but I'm fine with Kitkat until Verizon updates it with some newer radios and stuff too. Maybe they'll integrate VoLTE/Advanced Calling into it as well. And I think I actually prefer the Sense UI (or its features to be more precise) over stock at this point.

Glad to hear as Xposed is impressive. That said part of me was hoping it would never happen. This is because some Xposed modules were such pieces of shit and they fucked up how Android worked behind the scenes.

When I was working on my firewall app nothing caused me more grief then shitty Xposed modules. They were crashing in the background causing all types of headaches. They were leaking memory or using gobs of resources. Some would make changes to iptables (many users probably didn't know that) breaking my firewall rules. Others would cause my app to force close. Then I'd get nasty reviews to which I would reply and when I received the logcat it was all Xposed bullshit.

Maybe this time the module devs will be better? :rolleyes:

I've learned to live without exposed a long time now. The devs who's roms I use have everything built in I ever needed xposed for, on a gsm m7 anyway.

Glad to hear as Xposed is impressive. That said part of me was hoping it would never happen. This is because some Xposed modules were such pieces of shit and they fucked up how Android worked behind the scenes.

When I was working on my firewall app nothing caused me more grief then shitty Xposed modules. They were crashing in the background causing all types of headaches. They were leaking memory or using gobs of resources. Some would make changes to iptables (many users probably didn't know that) breaking my firewall rules. Others would cause my app to force close. Then I'd get nasty reviews to which I would reply and when I received the logcat it was all Xposed bullshit.

Maybe this time the module devs will be better? :rolleyes:

I think I remember you talking about this before, or at least this firewall app you worked on. Wasn't that around the 2.3/4.0 days?

I've learned to live without exposed a long time now. The devs who's roms I use have everything built in I ever needed xposed for, on a gsm m7 anyway.

You didn't really use many Xposed modules then. But the best thing about Xposed is that you can stay on the stock ROM, which is normally the most stable/reliable ROM you can use and you don't need to unlock the bootloader to use it. This is pretty crucial on Verizon and AT&T devices. I wouldn't have bothered to unlock the bootloader on my Verizon One M8 if it wasn't necessary to have permanent root for it (at least when it first came out, that was the only method, not sure now).

You didn't really use many Xposed modules then. But the best thing about Xposed is that you can stay on the stock ROM, which is normally the most stable/reliable ROM you can use and you don't need to unlock the bootloader to use it. This is pretty crucial on Verizon and AT&T devices. I wouldn't have bothered to unlock the bootloader on my Verizon One M8 if it wasn't necessary to have permanent root for it (at least when it first came out, that was the only method, not sure now).

Isnt root required for xposed??

Haven't needed it in a long time...only thing I'd want it on my Nexus 6 for is ad blocking in Mail and in YouTube. I suppose per-app-DPI might be nice for Chrome.

It is.

Yeah, you need to be rooted. But you don't have to unlock the bootloader to root a phone, in most cases anyways. I think the Verizon M8 is the only exception I've seen to that and it might not even be the case anymore.

Haven't needed it in a long time...only thing I'd want it on my Nexus 6 for is ad blocking in Mail and in YouTube. I suppose per-app-DPI might be nice for Chrome.

Shoot, I'd use it for Youtube ad blocking alone. And I'd say the same thing about ChromePie (adds Pie controls to Chrome and its Beta), Gravity Box, Sense Tools, Pandora Patcher (basically Pandora One for free), and NotifyClean (disable any type of notification, persistent or not). I'd be highly annoyed at the loss of any of those now, lol.

I think I remember you talking about this before, or at least this firewall app you worked on. Wasn't that around the 2.3/4.0 days?

I was supporting 2.2 all the way to 4.4.4. It works on Lollipop as well but I never officially supported 5.0.x. I actually slimmed it down (stripped out all the bullshit I never wanted but added because people asked for it), dropped support for anything older then Jelly Bean, and made it Material Design but haven't released it yet. Still debating if I will bother releasing it.

I supported the app until the EU forced Google to start posting developer's addresses if they had a paid app (I had a donate version). When that happened I pulled the app from the Play Store.

I was supporting 2.2 all the way to 4.4.4. It works on Lollipop as well but I never officially supported 5.0.x. I actually slimmed it down (stripped out all the bullshit I never wanted but added because people asked for it), dropped support for anything older then Jelly Bean, and made it Material Design but haven't released it yet. Still debating if I will bother releasing it.

I supported the app until the EU forced Google to start posting developer's addresses if they had a paid app (I had a donate version). When that happened I pulled the app from the Play Store.

What is this app of yours?

What is this app of yours?

Android Firewall was the name. It was a fork of Droidwall. Google has cracked down on using the name Android in app names now so in my slimmed down, Material Design version I renamed to Droydwall. Like I said though not sure yet if I'll bother releasing it.

I thought there was a "loophole" of some sort devs used to get around not having your real address? Like using a PO box instead or some proxy address? Is that all that's keeping you from publishing it?

I thought there was a "loophole" of some sort devs used to get around not having your real address? Like using a PO box instead or some proxy address? Is that all that's keeping you from publishing it?

I wasn't making enough on the app to justify the cost of a PO box. So I pulled it. Because Droydwall is a different app if I put it up for free I don't need to enter my address.

The holdup on DroydWall's release is more I'm not sure I want to deal with the bullshit from users again. Especially after I removed like 90% of the functionality I had put into AF. That 90% is all stuff I never wanted in the first place but I know the removal is going to generate a shit ton of negative feedback and nasty e-mails.

Back