PS4 games to be $100?

Drakenfeng

Gawd
Not exactly in the loop when it comes to consoles but I do play the occasional PS3 game. However I was recently looking around Amazon and was noticing that all of the PS4 games that are available for pre-order are 100 dollars? I was expecting a jump of 5 or 10 dollars for the new generation but $40? Is this really going to be the new pricing for the next generation or are they (hopefully) placeholders?

I expect Steam to be getting a lot of new customers if this is the case...

AC4:
http://www.amazon.com/Assassins-Creed-4-playstation/dp/B00BMFIXOW/

Thief 4:
http://www.amazon.com/Thief-4-playstation/dp/B00C27SCC2/

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Sigh... NO. Games will be around $60. I forgot the reason why they are pricing them at $100. Something to do with system not being out yet and no exact price set.

Sigh... NO. Games will be around $60. I forgot the reason why they are pricing them at $100. Something to do with system not being out yet and no exact price set.

If they want to start offering pre-orders now they have to have a price, and what is there now is just a place-holder price. It's going to be high so when the pricing is announced they just have to lower it (and everybody is then happy). Imagine if they mark them at $60, and then we learn that big titles, for the next gen, are going to be $65, and amazon (and other retailers taking pre-orders) raise the price of a title.

So no, the games are not going to be $100 bucks.

I would expect titles to be $65 to 70 though. Remember games went up by $10 from the PS2/Xbox days from $50 to $60 for PS3/360 titles

lol, does no one remember that NES games were $50 in 1985 or $108 in 2013 as per inflation? http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

lol does no one remeber that ROM (and ram for that matter) was extremely expensive? and CD-Rom drives were upwards of $250+? By comparison is still expensive in respect to DVDs that can be made for less than $1 each for 9GB of data storage..

The vast majority of that $50 console game was to pay for that (on average 32K rom)

Because it's the way things are, PS4 and XBOX One games will be $69.99. It's fucking bullshit, but it's the way it is.

I think that now that PS4, One, and PC games are all basically built the same way (less staff required, more shared resources and less R&D), and are being pushed to digital distribution (No resales = more sales, plus DD is cheaper than boxes, shipping and brick stores), that those savings should be passed down to consumers. OF course that won't happen, though.

If they want to start offering pre-orders now they have to have a price, and what is there now is just a place-holder price. It's going to be high so when the pricing is announced they just have to lower it (and everybody is then happy). Imagine if they mark them at $60, and then we learn that big titles, for the next gen, are going to be $65, and amazon (and other retailers taking pre-orders) raise the price of a title.

So no, the games are not going to be $100 bucks.

What he said.
I want it to be $59.99 but I have this weird feeling that it's going to be $69.99, because to them $69.99 is "around $60 dollars" same as X1

I remembered buying final fantasy 3 (ff6) for the snes for $80 after taxes back in the days. My guess is $69.99-79.99.

Since when did a placeholder price become a topic of discussion its nothing new and not a indication of actual price.

Perhaps in some countries with insane import and taxing fee's. But not in the states that's for sure , maybe $69.99 at worst but more likely $60 for most games.

Sony , MS and even Nintendo understand that gamers will not pay $100 retail just for the game without any DLC. Not even EA is that thick , which is saying something.

Since when did a placeholder price become a topic of discussion its nothing new and not a indication of actual price.

People seem to enjoy hating every possible aspect of these next-gen consoles they don't yet have any hard facts about. I don't recall a console launch ever being under such scrutiny.

(Not a knock on the OP, as he actually tastefully speculated instead of spewing hate)

If you click the xbox one tab it shows as 99.99 as well so...

And? Amazon has no clue how much Sony/MS will charge. No one will buy the new consoles if there games cost $99 at retail regular editions. No chance in hell games cost $99 for the next gen , I can say that with utter assurance.

At most , again , $69 for a retail regular next gen game. When you can buy a PC that can run the game better and you can buy the game for often 30-50 percent off weeks after its release on PC thanks to great deals we often get why would anyone buy a next gen console for gaming purposes?

If they even consider doing that then I'll be done with gaming consoles. But I don't have to worry because they won't , they make plenty with DLC.

it's the same reason you see xbox one's for 900 preorder, they pick a price they comfortably say it out of range so that they dont risk undercharging for preorders and having to cancel a bunch of orders and beg nicely that they come back and buy for more money.

I remember depositing $300-400 in order to rent the Dreamcast before its release from Hollywood Video.

Still $60 is a little to high for me. I usually wait for a steam sale for $30 or under

No, they will not be $100. That is just a placeholder till it Sony releases the info. Amazon just puts a high placeholder price for people that want to preorder right away and when the real price is revealed the price is lowered (and since Amazon has lowest price guarantee on preorders those who preorder at $100 have their price reduced).

The games will be $60 again just like the current gen console games.

I remember depositing $300-400 in order to rent the Dreamcast before its release from Hollywood Video.

You just gave me a HUGE flashback to that launch. I had to do the same at EB games , Soul Calibur was such a great game. I got that and Power Stone and I still think its probably one of the most solid launches ever.

Sad though. But I still have my Dreamcast :D

I remember Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire for N64 was $90 when it was released. Carts were fucking expensive and had much less storage, but they sure loaded a helluva lot quicker than the CD-ROM drives of the day.

Because it's the way things are, PS4 and XBOX One games will be $69.99. It's fucking bullshit, but it's the way it is.

I think that now that PS4, One, and PC games are all basically built the same way (less staff required, more shared resources and less R&D), and are being pushed to digital distribution (No resales = more sales, plus DD is cheaper than boxes, shipping and brick stores), that those savings should be passed down to consumers. OF course that won't happen, though.

Why the hell is everybody so convinced that games will be $70?

1. Nothing is confirmed.
2. Who the hell in this economy is going to buy a $500 console and then $70 games? If this is true, the consoles and the games will be sitting on shelves (at least until prices drop)
3. Shouldn't the switch to x86 architecture if anthing lower development costs and make things easier which in theory, lower game prices?

If hypothetically any of this is true, I will skip this generation for a couple years until more games are out, and I can buy the used for cheaper. Until then, I will stick to my <$10 deals on Steam and my huge backlog of PC games.

Last edited:
Why the hell is everybody so convinced that games will be $70?

1. Nothing is confirmed.
2. Who the hell in this economy is going to buy a $500 console and then $70 games? If this is true, the consoles and the games will be sitting on shelves (at least until prices drop)
3. Shouldn't the switch to x86 architecture if anthing lower development costs and make things easier which in theory, lower game prices?

If hypothetically any of this is true, I will skip this generation for a couple years until more games are out, and I can buy the used for cheaper. Until then, I will stick to my <$10 deals on Steam and my huge backlog of PC games.

xbox/ps2 games were $50 ps3/360 were $60 so we are expecting a similar increase...it is logical that ps4 and oxo will be more expensive...

Back