ps2 wiring question

Troney1169

Limp Gawd
Okay here is the dealio my buddy wanted to take two older ps2 joysticks and try a little something with them. What he wanted to do was take two gamepad and wire them as one so when playing the latest olympic game he would not have to pass the game pad back and forth (no multiplayer with multiple gamepads) so he got me to open the wire and splice the 2nd joystick into each wire which i did. and to no surprise to me it didn't work. I was just wondering if it would work if i did this one thing differnt. what he wants it for both gamepads to work as the same one. here is how i did it.

1st gen ps2 game pad - main one that gets plugged in. has one extra wire/pin a grey one. this one we used the cord as the one that gets plugged in to the consol.

2nd gen ps2 game pad - cut the plug off of this one to splice into the above gamepad. doesn't have the grey wire. missing the 2nd last pin.

both are dual analog/shock

any help would be apreciated,

would the above work if i wired the first gamepad into the 2nd? if not any ideas?

I'm not sure that you'll be able to do it all with just splicing wires. There is a surefire way to get the buttons to work, however. It just requires a separate pair of wires for each button--wire the matching buttons from the 'extra' controller in parallel with their respective buttons on the controller that's plugged into the PS2. The reason you can't just splice the signal wires is because you're not just dealing with on/off circuits--you've got serial data, and having two controllers trying to talk down the same pair of wires with the PS2 is destined for problems. You might want to take a look at this page, however.

Back