Project White Boy

I believe I have solved the issue for the raid, and will be attempting to get it all together today (after some sleep). I do apologize for the lack of progress, but I have been making the rounds with friends, spending time with them and saying good bye, as I am moving to Wyoming in less than 2 weeks, to take care of my sick grandmother and help her with her dialysis, and cancer treatments, as well as any of her other needs. So, I only have a short time left to get this all set and done, I have also put together a list of things I wish to do to this build before I leave.

Things to come . . . .

#1 Get raid installed and reverse drive cage and do some more benchmarks.

#2 Cable management (it's kind of messy atm, and I know I can do much better.

#3 Upgrade SATA cables and power cables to Bit Fenix Alchemy cables.

#4 Side windows/ vents . . .?

#5 Fix PSU mounting solution.

#6 More pictures of the build

#7 Add more Bit Fenix Alchemy LED lgihting strips.

#8 Perhaps a fan controller if there is room!

Perhaps more if I have the time, seems rather ambitious I'll be lucky to get half of this done before I leave, so stay tuned, I will do my best to continue the build once I arrive in Wyoming, though I will have very limited time and tools.:toast:

Last edited:
Ran F1 2012 with everything on at high and ultra settings.

f1201201.jpg

sniperelitev2benchmark.jpg

Sniper Elite V2 Benchmark Report
================================
Created: 2012-10-03 at 02:46:33
Build Version: 1.05, Jun 7 2012

Average FPS: 41.1
Minimum FPS: 34.8
Maximum FPS: 65.0

Number Of Frames: 3150
Average Frame: 24.309ms
Minimum Frame: 15.375ms
Maximum Frame: 28.764ms

Machine Name: WHITEBOY
Monitors: 1
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
System RAM: 8147MB
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
Number of Cores: 8

GPU Name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680
Feature Level: DX11.0
Driver version: 9.18.13.623
Dedicated VRAM: 4036MB

Resolution Width: 1920
Resolution Height: 1080
Texture Detail: ULTRA
Shadows Detail: ULTRA
Draw Distance: ULTRA
Anti-aliasing: HIGH
Advanced Shadows: LOW
Supersampling: 2.25x
Anisotropic Level: 16
Compute Shaders: ON
Ambient Occlusion: ON
Motion Blur: ON
Vertical Sync: OFF
Reduce Mouse Lag: OFF
Stereo 3D: OFF

Last edited:
why did you mount the H80 on the top not the back?
are you planing to remove the optical drive (and forget the fan controller idea) and use the H100?
nice rig btw, this will be my next case.

why did you mount the H80 on the top not the back?
are you planing to remove the optical drive (and forget the fan controller idea) and use the H100?
nice rig btw, this will be my next case.

I already removed the optical tray to make room for an H100, as for mounting the H80 on the back, it bent the hoses too much for my liking as well as blocked access to some of the CPU mounting brackets.

I was going to say mount it in the front to keep the optical drive but I just noticed (from here) it'll also block it.

So the raid is now up and running, benchmarks and pictures to follow Thursday.

Item #1 is 1/2 done

Made some major inroads on Items #2 and #6 on the list.

So lets begin with some shots of the 3.5 to 2.5 conversion bracket from Scythe I used.

img1380yc.jpg

img1378te.jpg

Now the installation of the 830's

instillation027.jpg

One in

instillation028.jpg

Now 2 . ..

instillation029.jpg

From other angles

instillation030.jpg

instillation031.jpg

Now some pictures of some cable management in the works

instillation032.jpg

instillation033.jpg

instillation034.jpg

instillation035.jpg

instillation036.jpg

Still not very pretty but it's only temporary

instillation037.jpg

instillation038.jpg

instillation039.jpg

And now put back together

img1381y.jpg

img1382gg.jpg

img1383fx.jpg

And that's all for now benchmarks to follow this weekend.

Okay the goody's from the FRY'S trip are . . . .

A 25 disc spindle of PHILIPS 25 GB 6x BD-R discs

img1399rs.jpg

Scored these for $30 after getting them to price match.

And . . . . .

A Hitachi 4TB 7200 RPM, 64MB of cache, SATA III DESKSTAR hard drive

img1398hre.jpg

Was on sale last week for $200, but the sale ended yesterday, however to my fortune the sign for the sale was still up, so I was able to nag them into giving me a $300 hard driver for $200, then upon waiting for a manager to approve the new price, I was made to stand and wait for nearly and hour! I explained to them the standing for an hour on crutches with a broken foot aside, the waiting an hour for a manger to type 3 seconds worth of authorization in is absurd, and if they wanted my continued patronage the price needed to reflect the "hardship" I had endured. As such I walked out of the store with this hard drive that was not on sale for $200, but at full retail for $300, for a measly $111! I really should have bought more than 1.:D

haha, you tell em! nice snags there! can you go back and grab some for me too? im not greedy, just 2x4TB drives will do. :D

haha, you tell em! nice snags there! can you go back and grab some for me too? im not greedy, just 2x4TB drives will do. :D

LOL, my first thought after checkout was man I could have made $100 + each on these things!

Did some more tweaking and overclocking, so I am going to run/ re-run some benchmarks.

sleepingdogsbenchmark2.jpg

sniperelitev2benchmark2.jpg

Sniper Elite V2 Benchmark Report
Created: 2012-10-05 at 13:23:12
Build Version: 1.05, Jun 7 2012

Average FPS: 40.9
Minimum FPS: 34.9
Maximum FPS: 52.5

Number Of Frames: 3132
Average Frame: 24.453ms
Minimum Frame: 19.064ms
Maximum Frame: 28.661ms

Machine Name: WHITEBOY
Monitors: 1
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
System RAM: 16339MB
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
Number of Cores: 8

GPU Name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680
Feature Level: DX11.0
Driver version: 9.18.13.623
Dedicated VRAM: 4036MB

Resolution Width: 1920
Resolution Height: 1080
Texture Detail: ULTRA
Shadows Detail: ULTRA
Draw Distance: ULTRA
Anti-aliasing: HIGH
Advanced Shadows: LOW
Supersampling: 2.25x
Anisotropic Level: 16
Compute Shaders: ON
Ambient Occlusion: ON
Motion Blur: ON
Vertical Sync: OFF
Reduce Mouse Lag: OFF
Stereo 3D: OFF

So over all the tweaks have netted a 2-12 FPS gain depending upon the game, with almost no increase in temps.

dude clean up the cabling and this is one hell of a box, it has given me some good ideas

dude clean up the cabling and this is one hell of a box, it has given me some good ideas

It's alright for now, I spent a whopping 30 mins doing it, it's not going to be like that for much longer hopefully, as I have some plans for it, just waiting on the supplies to arrive.

So Saturday I picked up a new mouse as my Microsoft Sidewinder X8, while fine, the DPI has become a little low for me, at a max of 4000, so I grabbed this guy.

img1400k.jpg

img1401d.jpg

Also to help me transfer files onto my new hard drive I found this.

img1404hl.jpg

Unboxing pictures should be up tommarow, as well as some more benchmarks. :toast:

the deathadder is 3500dpi... :p says it on the box. still a great mouse, but then so is the sidewinder x8. those hard drive docks are awesome too. i love mine for swapping between all the HDDs and SSDs i have for formatting, cloning, backups, etc. wish mine was usb3!

the deathadder is 3500dpi... :p says it on the box. still a great mouse, but then so is the sidewinder x8. those hard drive docks are awesome too. i love mine for swapping between all the HDDs and SSDs i have for formatting, cloning, backups, etc. wish mine was usb3!

*shrug* so it is, I was on heavy pain killers when I made the purchase, oh well I guess I'll use it for LAN's :)

But because of this mistake I am now in the market for one of these . . .

razer-ouroboros-gallery-1.png

I am trying to contact Razer through my friends who work there, to see is a custom white LED or white case version of the Ouroboros is possible.

Last edited:
I gotta say it sure is a sexy looking mouse!

img1406k.jpg

img1407vs.jpg

Now that I have this thing, today's priority is to get the new 4 TB installed and move over my steam back ups and such.

img1408yf.jpg

o I just decided this new mouse is going back, it's just too small for my hamfists, which I had a feeling it would be, as such I just ordered another razer mouse.

partsordered3.jpg

A Razer TAIPAN

razer-taipan-gallery-2__store_gallery.png

Also yeah I did order the CE or Prometheus, I really enjoyed the movie!

Last edited:
Also looking at possible replacements for my Sidewinder keyboard as well, really strongly considering this . . .

razer-blackwidow-ulitmate-2013-gallery-3__store_gallery.png

The Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Elite

In she goes . . .

img1409we.jpg

Out with the old

img1410gb.jpg

Also this sabernet USB hard drive dock is pretty dammed nice I am getting 90 + MB/s transfers.

transfer.jpg

That makes me very happy! :D

No updates for a while as I am leaving town to see my grandmother in hospus

SMALL UPDATE

Okay so after the Broncos game (which was an amazing one!) I was able to snap some picks of some of the goodies that showed up while I was in Wyoming.

To protect all this nice new stuff, a nice new surge protector!

img1439n.jpg

And as I am still on the hunt for a new mouse to replace my X8, I present the Taipan (yes and the collectors edition of prometheus).

img1440cw.jpg

Title captured my attention. Love it. As for the build, it looks awesome for it being your first build.

How did that Sabrent file transfer device work out for you? I bought one a while ago (not that same model) that ended up frying the first 2 old laptop HD's I plugged it into.

Back