Productivity build and GPU choices - Low TDP and wattage options?

garetjax27

Limp Gawd
If you're choosing a dedicated GPU for 3D modeling and scanning (no gaming), are you going nVidia or AMD, and why?

And to follow-up, if you need a dedicated GPU for the above that is low TDP and low wattage, would that change your decision of GPU maker? If so, how come?

Essentially, I'm looking to build a SFF productivity PC that won't turn my office into an inferno and won't sound like a jet taking off - hence the low TDP and low wattage requirement. At first blush, I was thinking an RTX 4060, 4060Ti or maybe a 4070 as I read that nVidia is much more power efficient and delivers better results when it comes to performance vs. TDP/wattage than AMD.

Am I off the mark? What GPU would you choose for my use case?

how much performance do you need. Also SFF can take on a lot of meanings these days. a used rtx A2000 could be enough and can still power four displays and does not need an external pice plug.

how much performance do you need. Also SFF can take on a lot of meanings these days. a used rtx A2000 could be enough and can still power four displays and does not need an external pice plug.
This is good advice in a good direction, pending feedback on your wants/needs. If you don't intend to game, then a Quadro is probably a good bet as they're a bit more stable for things like SolidWorks.

That said, I'm currently running a water cooled 3090 and do quite a bit of moderately complex modeling/assemblies in Solidworks 2022. It works well and is generally quite stable, but that is not the kind of GPU you're looking for in a SFF build.

Depending on budget and timeline you could always watch the FS/T. Cards ranging from Quadro P400s to Quadro RTX 4000s have been available on the forum quite recently. [H] user dbwillis seems to turn over quite a few of them and is very reputable. A quick PM might get you exactly what you need.

You really need a price target, otherwise the undisputed answer is the RTX 4000 Ada but that is a $1500 4070 variant meant for the most dedicated of SFF fans and workstation users.

Back