Problems w/6800GT?

lost0822

Limp Gawd
Okay i just got my 6800GT yesterday and installed, wasn't to bad i still have some questions as to why some things are not working the way i want them to or the way they should be. This is by far the most powerfull card i've ever had, the first Nvidia card i've ever had and i'm not so sure how things work with these cards, i upgraded from a ATI 9600XT. Here are my specs:
2.8C Northwood
1G Crucial pc3200
430w Antec
Now this computer is a Gateway, i'd rather had built myself one now that i know what i know, but it was a gift for my wife and i so untill it craps out i'm sticking with it, it's really not bad except the motherboard is locked so i can't do anything with the BIOS which sucks.

Here's my issues. I installed the card, got the 61.72 driver, downloaded CoolBits and got that running, everything so far so good. Now, when i try to overclock the card, i am not getting anywhere near the numbers i've seen you guys getting. I stepped it up at small increments and can only get up to about 375/1020 before the test part tells me i need to bring the clock back down, right there that does not seem right. Also when i let it auto detect, it does not do anything that i can tell because it reverts back to the 350/1000. What's the issue? Am i held back by my CPU, i hope not. When i'm overclocking it as well i had the vsync off and AA and AF off.

Then i started to play Far Cry, which by the way i only the demo before that i played with my old 9600XT and off the bat the card blows that one out of the water, i can turn everything up to very high. I'm running FRAPS when i play and i noticed that in the outside parts, on like a hill when you look out over the water or thru your binoculars it dips down just below 30 fps, that's with no AA or AF on and my res. at 1280x1024. So should'nt i be getting higher fps? and when i turn on my AA or AF, which i have not done yet, i'm thinking my fps are just going to go that much lower then what i'm seeing now. So do you guys have any suggestions as to what i can try, or give me some pointers on how to get this card to work up to it's "potential"? Like i said i'm new to nvidia so anything you can tell would be great. oh i did use driver cleaner as well when i took my old card out, so i don't think it's anything like that either. thanks!

Not all cards will overclock to Ultra speeds, you may have just gotten a "bad apple." For the farCry thing, I'd wait 'till the 1.2 patch, the 6800 cards really strugle with the 1.0 and 1.1's.

How come when i tell it to auto detect then, i'm gettin nothing out of it? Should'nt it be at least overclocking a little? this is insane.

Might see if theres newer chipset drivers out for your board, and sience your limited by the bios on that thing you may or may not see ultra speeds out of it.

i hear you on the bios stuff. I tried to update my chipset last night, but as i was doing it, it stopped came up with an error message saying it could not locate or find an ING file or something.....i'm thinking if the motherboard is locked i might not be able to update my chipset either. this sucks.

Back