Problem setting default ram timings @ 1066MHz

W.O.T. Stang

Limp Gawd
I recently upgraded to 4Gb 1066 DDR2 G.skill RAM which is advertised at 5-5-5-15 @ 2.1v and 1066Mhz.

My board didnt auto recognize it as 1066, only 800. I entered the BIOS and set it manually to 1066, 2.1v, and 5-5-5-15 timings. Upon reboot, i get "BAD CHECKSUM ERROR" and i have to reset all of my BIOS settings.

It runs perfectly with 5-7-7-20 timings (the default), but anything other then that, or a 1T command rate causes the same problem as above. I also did a bit of searching and found im not the only with this problem

Just curious if anyone out there has the same setup, or knows of any resolution to the problem. It's not a huge deal to me, but it would be nice to run it at what it's rated for.

Try a lower frequency or, adjusting the voltage on your memory controller. Most Phenom's I have seen do not like to run 1066.

I thought Phenoms had an integrated memory controller, therefore the only way to up the voltage on it is on the cpu itself?

800 works fine at the recommended timings and 1066 works fine at the higher timings.

I'll have to look into the BIOS updates and see if anything is listed.

It is an IMC. However, you should be able to adjust the memory controller voltage seperately from the core voltages unless it is a very simple and restrictive BIOS.

I was unable to find a memory controller voltage, but i havent tried it anymore lately. I highly doubt ill see a large performance increase with a little tighter timings, even if they are the stock recommended settings. Just wondered if anyone else had this issue as well.

Back