Power Supply question.

jamesgalb

Gawd
So just an update on my first rig: 6 RX 580s/480s on a 1000w Corsair RM1000x. Working like a charm. I made sure to undervolting the first 4 GPUs before adding the extra 2 and undervolting them, just incase, All worked out great :)

So I have an additional question on an extra PSU I have lying around.

I have 2 more 480s and happen to have a motherboard/cpu/memory/psu laying around to accomidate exactly 2... Maybe. I will transfer them to a larger rig later down the line, but considering I have the parts to get the mining right now ad no additional expense I was going to go ahead and do so.

The big question here...

Thermaltake TM2 600w powering 2 RX480s (undervolted). Is it possible?

The 2 big questions are:

-I have one cable with an 8 pin and 6 pin, is it safe to use it on both?

-I have one molex cable. Should I use an empty sata cable to power one riser? Or split the molex on both?

I realize I should just go buy a new PSU, but I want to put that money into a 1000w+ PSU for the next full build (that these 480s will transfer into) and dont want to delay the next build with a temporary smaller PSU buy if I can get away with it...

BTW. Im my first rig, I am averaging between 100w-120w per card. Considering I got 6 on a 1000W, 2 on a 600W would seem safe... But it lacks the needed cords and the higher rating to make me comfortable.

Yes, your 600w TM2 can power the two RX480s. The PCIe cable with 8-pin and 6-pin can be shared between the two. As for the riser powering, you can do up to two on a molex cable, but if you have an open sata, one and one would be ideal.

Yes, your 600w TM2 can power the two RX480s. The PCIe cable with 8-pin and 6-pin can be shared between the two. As for the riser powering, you can do up to two on a molex cable, but if you have an open sata, one and one would be ideal.

I've heard bad things about SATA power connectors. Is it still better than sharing a molex on 2?

Back