Please Don’t Kill Yourself Retrieving Mass Effect 3

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
That’s the message from the game’s maker Bioware, concerning the ongoing promotion of the game’s release we reported on last week. It seems the launches are going off without incident so far, but the landing locations leave something to be desired.

“Apparently balloon 1 is on a cliff somewhere or ontop of a Redwood,” Silverman tweeted. “Please do not kill yourself for these.”

Also: Please do not cut down a 1000 year old tree in order to retrieve a $60 game.

Thank you.

What exactly did they think was going to happen when they put games on weather balloons in the middle of the desert or on the coast? Surely someone had the brainstorm that a good chunk of these packages might end up on mountains, caught in trees or out in the middle of some desert scrub (or the ocean).

The one that they showed on the map out of Vegas looks to have landed very near where I used to live though.

It's stunts like these that makes me angry that games have gone up to $60 a pop. I bet you they had a couple of million earmarked for that stunt.

What exactly did they think was going to happen when they put games on weather balloons in the middle of the desert or on the coast? Surely someone had the brainstorm that a good chunk of these packages might end up on mountains, caught in trees or out in the middle of some desert scrub (or the ocean).

We're talking about marketing people here. The sort of people who ended up in marketing because math and science was too hard.

The one that they showed on the map out of Vegas looks to have landed very near where I used to live though.

ofc they figured this would happen. it's a PR stunt nothing else, and if some lucky fan gets a copy and spreads good word then even better.

ofc they figured this would happen. it's a PR stunt nothing else, and if some lucky fan gets a copy and spreads good word then even better.

What if an unlucky one dies in the attempt? Not so good. I think they are realizing now that some members of the target audience are a few fries short of a happy meal to begin with.

You know someone is going to die from this stunt, and media will have a shit-storm reporting along with a few poli/groups jumping on board for the fun on it.

It's stunts like these that makes me angry that games have gone up to $60 a pop. I bet you they had a couple of million earmarked for that stunt.

10 weather balloons and probably 10 copies of junk that comes with the collectors edition for free? I wouldn't say a couple of million. I'd say a couple of thousand or tens of thousand. Meanwhile, doing promotions reminds ppl games exist/gets them covered on websites like hardocp, ign, etc and potentially adds 10k sales at $60 bucks a pop.

Weak.
The winnable copy isn't even the complete version of the game.
You still need the Collector's edition for that or an additional $10.

who needs reapers when humanity is so stupid? XD

Touche, not exactly sure if they'd want to integrate our genetic code into them. Especially considering how degraded it might become in the future with pollution, electronic and microwave radiation, nuclear radiation, etc

What if an unlucky one dies in the attempt? Not so good. I think they are realizing now that some members of the target audience are a few fries short of a happy meal to begin with.

If someone dies it'll give the game huge amounts of advertising.

This silly stunt really dropped my respect for Bioware....or did EA have something to do with this. This really sound like something EA would do. Of course, Dragon Age 2 didn't help my respect for Bioware.

This silly stunt really dropped my respect for Bioware....or did EA have something to do with this. This really sound like something EA would do. Of course, Dragon Age 2 didn't help my respect for Bioware.

Why? Elaborate.

I don't see the big deal about it. Nobody is forcing anyone to track it down.

Why? Elaborate.

I don't see the big deal about it. Nobody is forcing anyone to track it down.

It's the latest trend. To be cool on the Internet you have to bash anything and everything Bioware does as a sign of some kind of terrible decline, whether it's true or not.

If I was going to buy it (which I won't until it hits 19.99 like the others, and I might buy the DLC) it would be through Amazon who are crediting $10 on pre-order, that will do nicely for those that bough the standard copy, so they can get the day 1 DLC.

Back