Picked up an iP XS yesterday...

I assume you mean the dual sim capability? I'm currently running it right now on the Xs I picked up last night.

I assume you mean the dual sim capability? I'm currently running it right now on the Xs I picked up last night.

Walk me through it. The eSIM is tied to one carrier and the sim slot is used for a second carrier?

How does the OS handle calling, texting, data, VOLTE, visual voicemail and wifi calling with each of the sims?

I have T-Mobile set up as the ESim (unofficially, it's not live yet) and XFinity as the physical SIM. For call handling there's a little button on top of the dialer that lets you switch between primary and secondary lines. If you're already on a call and the other line receives a call, it's immediately sent to voicemail. Other than that? No clue, sorry. I have data shut off on the XFinity line, and have no intentions of ever using it. It's simply a fallback number if I'm ever in the odd situation of being without T-Mobile service, since XFinity uses Verizon's towers. As long as you don't use data, minutes and SMS are completely free.

You a TMobile prepaid customer? Or how did you get TMo to setup that eSIM for postpaid?

Through the T-Mobile app chat. As I said, it's not live yet, but the outsourced chat reps were activating post paid ESims for a bit.

I upgraded about three weeks ago from an iPhone 7 Plus to an iPhone xs max and as far as specs go the phone is nice. I do love the screen but I hate not having a finger scanner.

My phone sits on a charger most of the time when I’m in my vehicle and if I need to switch between Waze and Spotify it was just so easy to double tap the fingerprint scanner and switch through apps. Now I have to position the phone on the mount perfectly and have to move my head closer to the phone so it’ll recognize me, then swipe up to turn it on. Now it’s difficult if I need to switch through apps because I can’t double tap anymore. Now I pretty much have to swipe up out of whatever app I am on and then find whatever app I want in my home screen. It’s not as “safe” for me anymore. This also goes for if I accidentally let my phone screen turn off and need to turn it back on.

I’m assuming I can probably just do a face scan unlock with my phone sideways but it’s annoying right now if my phone is sideways and I go turn it on there the phone won’t unlock. At night while in bed I noticed it’s a lot harder for the phone to recognize me, So I’m usually dealing with putting in a passcode to unlock my phone.

I really hate face ID unlock and I want a fingerprint scanner instead. I’m really tempted to sell this and go back to an iPhone 8 plus. The only reason I upgraded was because my phone pretty much was useless to me as I could no longer hear calls or they hear me. Apparently there was some kind of hardware issue that iPhone seven series has and I unfortunately got that. A repair place said they could fix it but it’ll probably only last about two months before I have the issue again and they will not warranty it.

I will probably wait to see if the new iPhone has their own screen fingerprint technology but if it does not then I might just go backwards to the 8+.

I upgraded about three weeks ago from an iPhone 7 Plus to an iPhone xs max and as far as specs go the phone is nice. I do love the screen but I hate not having a finger scanner.

My phone sits on a charger most of the time when I’m in my vehicle and if I need to switch between Waze and Spotify it was just so easy to double tap the fingerprint scanner and switch through apps. Now I have to position the phone on the mount perfectly and have to move my head closer to the phone so it’ll recognize me, then swipe up to turn it on. Now it’s difficult if I need to switch through apps because I can’t double tap anymore. Now I pretty much have to swipe up out of whatever app I am on and then find whatever app I want in my home screen. It’s not as “safe” for me anymore. This also goes for if I accidentally let my phone screen turn off and need to turn it back on.

I’m assuming I can probably just do a face scan unlock with my phone sideways but it’s annoying right now if my phone is sideways and I go turn it on there the phone won’t unlock. At night while in bed I noticed it’s a lot harder for the phone to recognize me, So I’m usually dealing with putting in a passcode to unlock my phone.

I really hate face ID unlock and I want a fingerprint scanner instead. I’m really tempted to sell this and go back to an iPhone 8 plus. The only reason I upgraded was because my phone pretty much was useless to me as I could no longer hear calls or they hear me. Apparently there was some kind of hardware issue that iPhone seven series has and I unfortunately got that. A repair place said they could fix it but it’ll probably only last about two months before I have the issue again and they will not warranty it.

I will probably wait to see if the new iPhone has their own screen fingerprint technology but if it does not then I might just go backwards to the 8+.

Does your car have Bluetooth so that you can add it as a trusted device so that you don't have to authenticate to unlock the phone? Not sure if iOS has this functionality like Android does, but I would assume so given how useful it is to have. Also, I thought you could just half-swipe up to get to the same multitasking screen that you're used to double tapping the home button for? Not sure if that's the gesture, but I know you can multitask just as easily on the iPhone X/XS as you can on the older iPhones with a home button.

This is one of the use cases where I hated the idea of ditching the fingerprint scanner as well; in the car or in any position where it's awkward to put the phone directly in front of you to authenticate (on a table, discretely with people around, etc.).

Does your car have Bluetooth so that you can add it as a trusted device so that you don't have to authenticate to unlock the phone? Not sure if iOS has this functionality like Android does, but I would assume so given how useful it is to have. Also, I thought you could just half-swipe up to get to the same multitasking screen that you're used to double tapping the home button for? Not sure if that's the gesture, but I know you can multitask just as easily on the iPhone X/XS as you can on the older iPhones with a home button.

This is one of the use cases where I hated the idea of ditching the fingerprint scanner as well; in the car or in any position where it's awkward to put the phone directly in front of you to authenticate (on a table, discretely with people around, etc.).

My car has bluetooth, but I don't know how to do that... or if I even can.

I don't like being on my phone, but it was just so much easier if my wife called me to answer on dash (still can with XS), but then when I hang up I can just reach by memory with my thumb and then double tap to just click on waze. That way I was focused still on the road and not taking my eyes off the road so much like I am now. I can still swipe from the corner to bring up the apps, but it's not the same. I mainly use Spotify and Waze, but being able to switch before was a breezer. Love the XS, but something as simple as that is major to me since I drive 120 miles a day.

I hope the next iPhone has an onboard screen finger print scanner, because if not, 8+ is looking mighty tempting again.

My car has bluetooth, but I don't know how to do that... or if I even can.

I don't like being on my phone, but it was just so much easier if my wife called me to answer on dash (still can with XS), but then when I hang up I can just reach by memory with my thumb and then double tap to just click on waze. That way I was focused still on the road and not taking my eyes off the road so much like I am now. I can still swipe from the corner to bring up the apps, but it's not the same. I mainly use Spotify and Waze, but being able to switch before was a breezer. Love the XS, but something as simple as that is major to me since I drive 120 miles a day.

I hope the next iPhone has an onboard screen finger print scanner, because if not, 8+ is looking mighty tempting again.

That's understandable. Another thing maybe worth checking out in Waze then, is the setting to keep the app in the foreground during a phone call. That's a setting in Android at least (I swear I'm not trying to compare iOS to Android, lol) so that when someone calls, you just get the buttons at the top to answer or reject (preferably you just answer with your car's BT controls though) and Waze stays on top regardless.

Back