Phenom I 9950 ---> Phenom II X4 940 .. worth it?

W.O.T. Stang

Limp Gawd
Basically as the topic implies...

Would it be worthwhile to go from a 9950 BE @ 3Ghz to a Phenom II 940?

I've done some searching and have not come up with any straightforward comparisons, except that it's faster "clock for clock" but no one really says how much.

I'm just trying to see what kind of difference there is between the two that would justify selling my 9950 to upgrade to the 940.

The Phenom II 940 is a better overclocker, has more cache means better performance and generates less heat, so yes its worth upgrading from a 9950 to a 940.

I went from a 9550 @ 2.6ghz to a 920 which is now running at 3.7ghz, Before it was OC'd the 920 just "seemed" smoother in multi tasking and gaming performance was better.

Of course once I oc'd it, there was no turning back its lightning fast and i'm very happy with it.

did we not do this dance before this is the 2nd time a topic like this pops up to answer YES get the p2 but go for an am3 version since its backwards compatible and provides you a board upgrade option when usb3/sata3 hit next year

wait for the 955 to be released next week.. it will be worth the wait.. better overclocking.. and if overclocking isnt your thing it will run cooler at stock due to lower voltage plus having 2ghz(4ghz) HT..

I'm going to agree with lt_shiro. Your video card should be your next upgrade path. You're not likely to see very much differences in games going from a Phenom to a Phenom II as you would upgrading your video card from an 8800GT to a more modern one.

You can get the best card in the market, the ASUS EAH4890 AMD Radeon HD4890 for $259 at Newegg.com, just $45 more than the cost of the Phenom II 940 at $214.

But that's what I would do if I were you.

If your deadset on getting a new CPU though I would say wait until the next stepping of Phenom IIs come out and get an AM3 version of the Phenom II, so what you can get a mobo and DDR3 later on without worrying about your CPU. i believe the new CPUs are coming out in a couple weeks as well.

if you want to get a new video card, and you are willing to drop around $200+ on one I would wait until the next series comes out. the 4890 isn't too much better then a 4870 to warrant the price in my opinion. (Unless you find a good deal on one) I think in a couple of months they will be out, if I am not mistaken.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

If your deadset on getting a new CPU though I would say wait until the next stepping of Phenom IIs come out and get an AM3 version of the Phenom II, so what you can get a mobo and DDR3 later on without worrying about your CPU. i believe the new CPUs are coming out in a couple weeks as well.
Do you have a source for these aforementioned new steppings?

I game at 1440x900 and I havent run across anything that I can't run reliably. Keep in mind I have the G92 8800, not the 320/640 G80 core 8800.

The only game I really have issues with is WoW in crowded areas with the new ultra settings (damn their unoptimized shadows they added in 3.1). Other then that, anything I've run so far has been able to be maxed at more then playable levels. I suppose that all changes with 1680+ resolutions.

I suppose i should probably look at a new video card shortly though... although I'm not sure exactly what yet.

Back