Phenom 9950 temp questions

W.O.T. Stang

Limp Gawd
I've been breaking in my new CPU (stock speed / sock HSF) with Prime95 to load the cores, and I am seeing anywhere from 62-65C under load after 10 minutes, with an ambient case temp of 42C. Does this seem high or within limits?

Also, I have been trying to understand how to set the fan speeds in the BIOS to auto adjust, but its very confusing. It gives me these values.

CPU Smart Fan Function
==================
Off PWM Temp (supposed to be where the fan shuts off if it falls below the set temp)
Start PWM Temp (where the fan starts to operate/cool)
Start PWM Value (supposed to be what RPM the fan starts at in the above value?)
Slope PWM Value (how much the fan RPM changes in relation to temperature change?)

I've been trying to come up with a good setting for these values, but its driving me nuts. Has anyone ever messed with these to find a good value for idle/load?

thats not high at all with that high of an ambient temp..

the auto adjust is the cool n' quiet.. usually they are in 2 different spots.. theres the auto fan and then the cool n' quiet.. if you set the auto adjust to off it will just sit at 100%.. if the fans not loud usually just keep it at 100%.. ive never really messed with the options because none of my amd cpu's ever stay stock speeds which you dont want to run those settings with an overclocked processor.. and/or my hsf's are manual controlled like my big typhoon VX..

if you can get your ambient temp down to the mid 30's your cpu temps at load should drop into the mid 50's.. but those are pretty decent temps for a 42C ambient temp..

Good info to know. Thank you.

Another thing I just realized. I have been monitoring the core temps and not the CPU temp.

Here is what i'm looking at under 100% 4 core load.

tempload.jpg

It seems my CPU temp is actually lower then what i was thinking. But it also seems strange that its saying 58c at idle and 62c at load. I guess maybe that's the wrong reading.

I'm probably just going to disable C&Q and set the fan to 100%. It's really not that loud, and i would much rather play it safe then worry about the fan not throttling up when it's needed.

core temps is what you want to look at.. thats the temps coming straight from the die sensors on the cpu its self.. also id double check those temps with coretemp as well.. only reason im saying that is the fact that your cpu temps showing up lower then your core temps and that shouldnt actually be happening.. its usually higher then your core temps by a few degrees.. but if core temp shows the same cpu temps.. should be fine then.. but id say ya need to get some more cooling in that case.. :p

since i accidentally double posted due to the site acting weird.. ill make up for it with a screen shot of screwed up die sensors..

notice in my screen shot how both of my cores are ~30C.. the cpu temp right above that is my actual cpu temp which is 46C.. this is at full load.. if i have my cpu idle those core temps go to 0C..

Back